Is BodyBuilding right for you?

Alot of pro bodybuilders have been quoted as saying,“If you dont make huge gains in your first year of training, bodybuilding might not be your sport” First of all, let me start by saying I know that pro bodybuilders are on more drugs then entire third world countries. And secondly I know rookies are riddled with tons of newbie mistakes. But if we can just ignore those two points for a moment (bare with me)… do they have a point? Because even the pros of today made tons of rookie mistakes… And yet claim to have made their best gains then. I know that if I were to get on all the shit they are on I still wouldnt look like them. And there is no way in hell I’ll ever squat a thousand pounds (another sport I know). I’d like to know who agrees on the first year being the most fruitful. So far it has been mine, despite not knowing anything my first year about training or nutrition. If anyone has a different experience I’d like to hear it. What threw you guys into hyper growth mode. Was it the introduction of proper training/nutrition habits? And if so, for how long did these changes produce amazing results? Thanks in advance, this is just a personal survey I’d like to get feedback on:)

I made the mistake of reading FLEX mag right off the bat. Though the nutrional articles were informative, the training articles would overtrain Ronnie Coleman! None the less, I made great gains my first year (it is pretty hard not to). And got hooked. I think my growth really exploded after my second year or so of a constant routine. When I discovered that working biceps for two hours was overkill! Also it is not just the time you put under the iron, but more so the total intensity. I finally after reading many books, meeting many people, and testing many different theories have now found how to get results and blast past my plateus… this finally after 6 years of routinely lifting. There are many great supps out there. Steroids, in my opinion, should only be used once a genetic potential has been reached. And a severe knowledge of proper training. In your late twenties, early thirties. But you’d be surprised how far you can get with genetics and proper supplementation. READ… READ… READ… oh… and don’t forget to read. Also, read - but, remember if your at a plateu for months on end, you missed the ball somewhere… Although I could never sum up bodybuilding in one post (nor should I), those were things I would say I learned and recommend…

I made great gains my first year, at least the gains are what kept me coming back for more when I first started. But I have to admit, my training and diet really sucked sometimes…
-Jason

I wish I could have my first year of gains over again. I worked out EVERY DAY, didn’t know what muscles any of the exercises worked, and didn’t know the difference between protein and carbohydrates. Nevertheless, I gained 25 lbs of muscle, not fat, in about 3 months. Since then, I’ve gained roughly 10 pounds in 3 years. It’s like the more I learn, the less it works. Sometimes I wish I could stop training for like a year, and then start again and get more amazing gains; but I’m too hooked, and too afraid of shrinking if I stop.

Yeah… my experience is the exact same Patman… And its true for some odd reason the more I learn the less results I seem to get!!! Aint that a kick in the teeth? lol :slight_smile:

Becareful what you read. Some publications are geared for those on the gear. If you are natural you generally require more of a rest period for super compensation. And some are geared more for endurance athletes. Read, but take each thing for what it is worth. Same as any advice, t-mag too. I have read some books, where I though, “Damn, this books sucks!” But I was able to pick up something useful. The more you expose your self to knowledge, the easier it is to filter good advice from poor advice for your particluar needs… the last part is muy importante… YOUR PARTICULAR NEEDS. And as you progress your training style needs to progress too.

I think that’s crap. I’ve been exercising regularly for 10 years now and have made my most significant gains during the past 2-3 years. Following the pretty boy mags’ recommendations early in my quest for muscle led me down the path of the under-nourished and over-trained…are you familiar with the appearance of Iggy Pop? The greatest change in my approach came from researching supps, hard-core nutrition, and harder-core routines. Even then, not everything I tried worked for me. Cycling huge meals and heavy weights with recovery routines and REST have worked the best. For those of us without the luzury of personal trainers and manicurists, developing the perfect diet and routine is a never-ending project (much like I-84 through CT). I’m a few months away from 40 and still chasing my muscle goals but I’m much closer now than when I chose this lifestyle at 30. Live, learn…and GAIN my friend.