T Nation

Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

Hi!
My name is Dave and this is my first post, i just hope you won't get me wrong. I have PLENTY of respect for bodybuilders and I think it's awsome the competition and all the stuff.
I love bodybuilding.
But here is the thing. Is it really a Sport? Are they athletes?

Is posing and dancing displaying a developed physique really a demostration of athletism?
Is it?
I know, I know, I know. What requires to get to the competition, the weight lifted bla bla bla. So? I'm sure most of the girls on a beauty contest go to the gym, but is it a sport?
I mean, the ACTUAL competition, is it really a display of that strength? or a display of a strong physique?
So, what ya guys think. A sport or not?

Good thing you showed up.
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/competitive_bodybuilding_sport_or_not

We have only discussed this enough times to get us into the "trillionth" range of numbers. Me personally, I lose count after 5 billion.

It depends on who you ask.

/thread

It doesn't really matter.

/thread

No its definitely not a sport

Muhahahahahahah

It's the ugly love child of a three way between art, sport and science. Only problem is no one is really sure who the father is

If you get judged by how you look while you do it, it is not a sport. That doesn't mean that people who do it are not athletes or athletic, but it is not a sport.

I didn't read a word you just said. I'm sure you'll understand why.

I second this...

damn it...no more debates.

Yeah right, just because Wikipedia says so BB is not a sport? Come on.

It says it is both a sport and art.

I could care less. These debates usually only pop up so one group can say it isn't a sport as if that lessens it.

Whatever.

It is what you want it to be.

For me, it is spaghetti.

Haha what a delicious answer.

I liked what this dude PaddyM said in the link you posted:

Offtopic: I like these kind of posts... Keeps me from being bored when I don't have nothing else to do.

Spaghetti with a lot of meat sauce!!!

I agree....who cares

Yup, lol @ that
While I agree with Bodybuilding not being a sport, lol at drawing conclusions from WIKI-FUCKING-PEDIA.

About the English language you sure couldn't.

Lot of Pro x meat sauce eh??? ewwwwwww

test

I'm sorry, but bodybuilding being an art?
aww, c'mon guys.
lol

It's not, but cheerleading is.