Is Bodybuilding a Sport or a Pagent?

I’m going to take a wild guess and say the OP probably doesn’t even look like he lifts weights.

=)

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I’m going to take a wild guess and say the OP probably doesn’t even look like he lifts weights.

=)[/quote]

Oh snap, you got a new avatar…

I’m going to have to actually read your name for like two weeks until I’m re-conditioned.

As for relevance: Angelfood cake is good, but Chocolate is better, discuss.

Edited to be english

[quote]mr popular wrote:

=)[/quote]

Let’s assume you are wrong. Do you have an opinion on the subject. I actually am leading somewhere.

Beans!
Glad you could join the show.
Needed a little of the Boston aggression to liven up the conversation.
Just waiting for Prof X to check in and we’ll be off to the races.

It’s certainly a question that’s be battered around before… Personally, I’m always the first one to point out to people that I’m not ‘athletic’. Although that term is applicable in the more traditionally accepted definition. I do, obviously, have to display a tremendous amount of discipline in my pursuit, not just in the gym gym under the weights, but especially when it comes to contest dieting.

I’ve heard it said that contest BBing is like a dieting contest, and in some sense, I guess it’s true. Sort of like a game of ‘who can suffer the most?’ Calling it a pageant though, does sort of sound like it’s belittling the amount of physical training involved, sort of like the arguments for those silly “bikini” contests the IFBB is now running.

Obviously people will disagree with each other, but as someone who has actually stood onstage, fake baked, oiled up, and posed in a speedo, while I certainly feel I worked and trained damn hard to achieve my goal, I can understand if someone were to argue whether or not it was a ‘sport’.

S

[quote]JEATON wrote:
CT, perception is the largest component of reality. Start calling it the Mr. Olympia pageant, and you audience begins to look even more like a San Fran YMCA. I dare say that the drive and passion the competitors feel are in some way diminished. I can get my juices up for a contest. A pageant, not so much. You change the culture almost overnight. Culture drives everything.
BTW, shouldn’t that Canuch ass be asleep by now?[/quote]

Ok then, so it’s a sport. Why? Because the International Olympic Committee has recognized it as such about 8 years ago.

The actual definition of a sport is:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Or…

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

These are the accepted definition by the IOC.

Is bodybuilding a physical activity? I personally don’t think that we can include training into the discussion. The ‘sport’ itself needs to be performed in a competitive setting. So is a bodybuilding competition a physical activity? 8 years ago, when I was still an olympic lifter I would have said NO. At that time posing didn’t look physically demanding to me.

BUT I have changed my mind when I actually competed in bodybuilding. Listen, I played football, rugby, hockey, soccer, baseball and competed in olympic lifting. And I can honestly say that posing in contest settings is one of the most demanding things I’ve done. The amount of energy you burn is immense. Every single muscle group needs to be flexed as hard as possible, oftentime this goes on for 30 minutes. Heck, isometrics for 12 seconds are hell… imagine for 30 minutes!

So yes, bodybuilding IS a physical activity AND it does involve physical exertion.

Is bodybuilding following judgement rules? Yes! People will argue that it is a subjective sport. True. But so is figure skating, gymnastics, diving, synchro swimming, etc. The fact is that there ARE rules and judgement standards. But sometimes the judges get subjective.

But is that different from hockey, where the referees basically stop calling penalties in overtime, or during the playoffs?

It is a sport. Maybe not a noble one, but according to the recognized definition, it is. Which is why it was officially recognized as such.

[quote]JEATON wrote:
mr popular wrote:

=)

Let’s assume you are wrong. Do you have an opinion on the subject. I actually am leading somewhere. [/quote]

My opinion is that the most hateful critics are usually the ones who tried and failed at the endeavor they’re criticizing. I think you suck at bodybuilding, and it’s much easier for you to pretend like you don’t even want to be good at it on a competitive level than it is to accept the fact that YOU SUCK.

It is like the short slow guy that sucks at football, but says he never liked football anyway, he thinks it’s gay how they run around in tight pants and fondle a big leathery ball and huddle up like gaymosexuals.

The real question here is why does the success of others at the competitive level of the sport of bodybuilding threaten your self esteem badly enough that you even needed to start this thread?

Do you find that you fantasize a lot? Do you tell yourself it’s normal?

What is your relationship like with your mother?

Let’s get down to the real issues now.

Yay, debating semantics is so fucking productive.

Bodybuilding stage competitions are pageants, not sport.

But bodybuilding isn’t stage competitions. Bodybuilding is about lifting and eating to get fit, regardless of whether you step on a stage. So, bodybuilding takes place in a gym and is, in fact, a sport.

Definitely a pageant!. These guys have no functional muscle. I could jump higher than them, run faster and i have more muscular endurance. I wear speedos simply because i look good in them.

But on a serious note. Individuals looking from the outside could easily see this as a pageant. Every time i see Kai Greene on stage i have to remind myself that this is a bodybuilding contest. I mean he’s a beast but his routines always seem soo out there. Seems like i’m watching dancing with the stars. If we’re judging on body symmetry and muscularity, what’s the point of all the music and these fitness model routines.

Why is everyone debating whether its a sport or pageant when it is so obviously isn’t either or anything else why you trying to put it under another title. I would say its a distant relative to an art they are body building, building body’s, the perfect body? the biggest most proportioned, aesthetic etc body.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
In the grand scheme of things, do it really matter? Calling it a sport, a pageant or a zwygersborg (made up word) has absolutely zero impact on the actual content (bodybuilding).

Take a table for example… lets say that I now decide to claim that it is not a table but a chair. Doses it actually change the physical appearance of the object? NO!

So you can call bodybuilding anything you want. Claiming its a pageant (or a sport) has absolutely no bearing on the nature of the activity.

Starting tomorrow my name is David… will that change who I am? Will I look different, think differently, act in a weird way? NO! I’ll still be the same person regardless of how you call me![/quote]

If we started calling you Zwygersborg the Magnificent, I bet that would change you! :slight_smile:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
JEATON wrote:
CT, perception is the largest component of reality. Start calling it the Mr. Olympia pageant, and you audience begins to look even more like a San Fran YMCA. I dare say that the drive and passion the competitors feel are in some way diminished. I can get my juices up for a contest. A pageant, not so much. You change the culture almost overnight. Culture drives everything.
BTW, shouldn’t that Canuch ass be asleep by now?

Ok then, so it’s a sport. Why? Because the International Olympic Committee has recognized it as such about 8 years ago.

The actual definition of a sport is:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Or…

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

These are the accepted definition by the IOC.

Is bodybuilding a physical activity? I personally don’t think that we can include training into the discussion. The ‘sport’ itself needs to be performed in a competitive setting. So is a bodybuilding competition a physical activity? 8 years ago, when I was still an olympic lifter I would have said NO. At that time posing didn’t look physically demanding to me.

BUT I have changed my mind when I actually competed in bodybuilding. Listen, I played football, rugby, hockey, soccer, baseball and competed in olympic lifting. And I can honestly say that posing in contest settings is one of the most demanding things I’ve done. The amount of energy you burn is immense. Every single muscle group needs to be flexed as hard as possible, oftentime this goes on for 30 minutes. Heck, isometrics for 12 seconds are hell… imagine for 30 minutes!

So yes, bodybuilding IS a physical activity AND it does involve physical exertion.

Is bodybuilding following judgement rules? Yes! People will argue that it is a subjective sport. True. But so is figure skating, gymnastics, diving, synchro swimming, etc. The fact is that there ARE rules and judgement standards. But sometimes the judges get subjective.

But is that different from hockey, where the referees basically stop calling penalties in overtime, or during the playoffs?

It is a sport. Maybe not a noble one, but according to the recognized definition, it is. Which is why it was officially recognized as such.[/quote]

/thread

Background:
About eight or nine years ago I used to check into Chad Nichols’ site Muscle Mayhem. Tom Prince was a mod over there and you would have thought it was his very reason for existence. I liked Prince when he was just someone in the magazines. After months of his crap on the boards I was tired of his shit.

Here was a guy talking about what a great athlete he was when he couldn’t even walk up a flight of stairs without stopping and getting his breath. To top it off, I believe he was on dialysis at the time after completely napalming his kidneys and body with shit your average crack head wouldn’t do.

In the midst of all this he would mix in how he was so much smarter than the average poster, reminding then that he was an English major in college.
I was scanning the board one night during the Christmas/New Year break and Tom was up to his usual shit. Can you guess what I did?

I posted the question that started this thread. All Hell broke loose. Tom lost his freakin mind. I played around for quite a while, keeping my cool and posting objectively. Believe it or not, most of the other post were much like the ones above. Actually, a majority started to come over the the “Wow, I never thought of it like that but Bodybuilding is really a pageant” side. I think this is what set Prince off.

It finally got so bad that Prince started hi-jacking my posts. He started editing them before they were even posted, saying shit like I was just realizing that I was a closet homo, and insulting all the other posters. Part of me thought it was weak as hell.

The other part of me thought it was one of the funniest things I had ever seen.
In the end we all “kissed and made up” and had a metaphorical man hug.

What made me start to think of it again is that here lately I have begun seeing the “holier than thou” attitude creeping in here. People proclaiming that this is a bodybuilding site and if you don’t like it leave. It makes me wonder what the hell the difference is between a bodybuilder and a lifter. To me, a sensible delineation would be that if you compete, you are a bodybuilder. If you don’t your a lifter.

However, it is a personal choice. I don’t think one is better than the other. In my life, I have known hundreds of lifters. I have only known a handful of bodybuilders.
Another thing that I notice more and more is the “post a picture” or you don’t know jack theme. This is the internet folks.

A picture doesn’t men jack. And if you do post a real picture, you never know what jackass from another board is going to hold it hostage for ridicule or some bastard agenda.
In the end, I lift because the iron is the one constant in my life. As Henry Rollins said, “Two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.”
End of trolling.

i heard masturbation could help men suffering from hay fever.

[quote]Bingbeast wrote:
i heard masturbation could help men suffering from hay fever.[/quote]

thats why am allergy free :slight_smile:

I don’t dig on Figure because of the pageant aspect. I’ve helped a few figure friends out, and I can’t get over the makeup, glitter, heels, and hairspray.

I prefer bodybuilding because at least there, you’re only wearing body makeup…and some rhinestones at the night show…and fake eyelashes…

Never mind.

:wink:

Without reading the thread, I would say:

You say pageant like it carries some huge negative connotation. Like the fact that it’s a ‘pageant’ means it’s girly, or wrong.

You also use sport in the opposite way. Darts is a sport and bodybuilding is a helluva lot manlier than fucking darts.

Bodybuilding isn’t a sport, it is a ‘pageant.’ My argument would be, so? It still requires massive amounts of dedication and badassery, making it cool in spite of the fact that it’s a pageant.

Now that you have gotten to your point I would like to speak to a few points.

One being you should have just posted this as the first post in the thread.

[quote]JEATON wrote:

What made me start to think of it again is that here lately I have begun seeing the “holier than thou” attitude creeping in here. People proclaiming that this is a bodybuilding site and if you don’t like it leave. [/quote]

I don’t read every thread, but I only see this being said to those that openly put down “bodybuilders” and lifting with aesthetics in mind. I don’t see any problem with telling someone to GTFO if they openly dislike the activity the particular forum is set up to talk about.

It reminds me of people that openly hate baseball, and will complain about how boring it is, going to Red Sox World Series games with tickets that were supposed to be mine. Or why I don’t post, or read for that matter, the combat sports forum. I know shit about MMA outside of watching it on TV once in awhile. But don’t worry, they can come talk about how “nonfunctional” and how “Much better GSP looks than Kai,” or "Girls like the GSP look, and thing you guys are gross, so I want to look like that. It’s degrading, and they should be told to GTFO.

If your kid liked to play Tuba, and a bunch of skateboarders came to your house, stood on your front lawn and started calling your child a loser for playing Tuba, you would allow them to continue? Or would you tell them to go home?

You don’t have to compete to not be told to GTFO. But if you have zero interest in competing, the sport or even remotely looking like one, why would you even want to post there?

[quote]
Another thing that I notice more and more is the “post a picture” or you don’t know jack theme. This is the internet folks.

A picture doesn’t men jack. And if you do post a real picture, you never know what jackass from another board is going to hold it hostage for ridicule or some bastard agenda. [/quote]

You are going to run into total coward, douchebag, menses eating, cock snorting, pea brains in real life too. That is the risk you take putting your face on the interwebz. BUT there are certainly situations where pictures should be required before people are allowed to post.

One is if an individual is criticizing another without the first individual asking for it. If someone is going to put down someone else lifts or appearance they better have a fucking picture public somewhere. Otherwise they are a coward.

It happens in the “X inch arms” threads. Some tool says “you guys are just fat.” with no stats or pictures. If you are going to put people down, you better show you have done something with your own self that is far and above the person you put down. Mainly because more often than not, the person who HAS accomplished something will NOT put down someone else. Because they have been there, gone through it, and know how hard it is to stand out in a crowd. Skinny little fuckholes are the ones talking shit. Requiring pictures would go a long way to shutting them up. Now if someone is trolling, fuck em… Tear that bastard down.

There is other reasons in my mind, but not everyone agrees with me. And I’ll be damned if I’m going to get into another cluster fuck thread about “looks are subjective, so even though I’m 160lbs at 6’0”, I can tell you at 240lbs at 5’10" the best way to train because I read a science book on it" camp v. “Dude until you accomplish my goals, or train MANY people that have accomplished my goals, your opinion on what I should do is shit” camp.

sometimes it can be both.