Is Arginine Really a Scam?

Arginine’s not a scam. It may have some minimal positive effects. But nothing to write home about. It is cheap. NO2 is the scam beause it will do nothing that arginine does not and is comparitively very expensive.

carp, I know the guys at Baylor who are running the study, and they’re a great group. It is certainly one of the best (if not THE best) supplement research labs on the planet, which is why the results on NO2 are that much more shocking.

Having worked on critically burned kids, I can tell you that they are so catabolic, that pretty much anything will help. Having said that, glutamine still does nothing in this group.

Good luck with Carbolin 19!

[quote]carpenter480 wrote:
The number of studies out there that say little to nothing for arginine are enormous.There is one currently under way at Baylor but the source of the funding would make me suspect of overated results.The only study that i have found that even remotely stands in favor is one on arginine alph-ketuglutarate which has shown some help in treating burn patients .I would like to read the whole article but do not subscribe to the british journal of medicine.

I wouldnt say that i have seen some degree of recovery improvement when taking AKG but it may well be a conglomeration of all my diet and supps.I have quit taking the akg and when not taking it seems that the soreness takes a day or two more to go away could be a fluke I dont know .I tend to be very skeptical of so called new wonder supps of any kind.

I am going to try the Carbolin 19 and would like to here some of youre results so I may judge whether it works for me.[/quote]

Interesting jsb… this thread kinda got hijacked from its original GH stimulation question…

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Arginine’s not a scam. It may have some minimal positive effects. But nothing to write home about. It is cheap. NO2 is the scam beause it will do nothing that arginine does not and is comparitively very expensive.[/quote]

Arginine infusion (directly into the blood stream, not orally) does increase gH release.

Can oral ingestion do the same? I don’t think anything in scientific literature has shown the same. Crossing the GI barrier is a rate limiting step.

The arginine infusion test is done in FASTED individuals. Are you going to starve yourself to maximize growth hormone release in a starvation state?

beef

Yup. In your experience and opinion, do you think there are any benefits to oral ingestion of arginine?

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Interesting jsb… this thread kinda got hijacked from its original GH stimulation question…

jsbrook wrote:
Arginine’s not a scam. It may have some minimal positive effects. But nothing to write home about. It is cheap. NO2 is the scam beause it will do nothing that arginine does not and is comparitively very expensive.

[/quote]

You know, if we get right down to it, a physiological (normal-sized) temporary boost in GH isn’t going to do a whole lot for muscle gain anyway… so there goes that mechanism/ “benefit” for Arg.

Developing X-ray vision sounds cool though…

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
You know, if we get right down to it, a physiological (normal-sized) temporary boost in GH isn’t going to do a whole lot for muscle gain anyway… so there goes that mechanism/ “benefit” for Arg.

[/quote]

lol

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:

[/quote]

Being unbreakable and able to fly would be even cooler, IMO :).

jsb, I really don’t think so. I mean, for an individual amino acid to have an effect (excluding protein synthesis), it’d have to be consumed when you’re fasted. This way there’s no competition for transport across the gut. Now if you’re protein fasted, you have bigger problems than transport of a single amino acid.

My number 1 rule: never be protein fasted

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Yup. In your experience and opinion, do you think there are any benefits to oral ingestion of arginine?[/quote]

How much longer before we start getting recommendations to start stacking the thankfully already obsolete Homeopathic Growth Hormone boosters with NO?? :slight_smile:

hehe-good rule. Thanks.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
jsb, I really don’t think so. I mean, for an individual amino acid to have an effect (excluding protein synthesis), it’d have to be consumed when you’re fasted. This way there’s no competition for transport across the gut. Now if you’re protein fasted, you have bigger problems than transport of a single amino acid.

My number 1 rule: never be protein fasted

jsbrook wrote:
Yup. In your experience and opinion, do you think there are any benefits to oral ingestion of arginine?[/quote]

Whats the story with Homeopathic Growth Hormone boosters anyway? I know my cousin ordered some of them but I’ve never actually looked into it.

[quote]rsg wrote:
Whats the story with Homeopathic Growth Hormone boosters anyway? I know my cousin ordered some of them but I’ve never actually looked into it.[/quote]

Why don’t you look into purchasing some Grow! protein powder, consuming one gram per one pound of body weight, sleeping eight hours a night and lifting hard three times per week?

This thread is riot… :slight_smile:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
rsg wrote:
Whats the story with Homeopathic Growth Hormone boosters anyway? I know my cousin ordered some of them but I’ve never actually looked into it.

Why don’t you look into purchasing some Grow! protein powder, consuming one gram per one pound of body weight, sleeping eight hours a night and lifting hard three times per week?

This thread is riot… :)[/quote]

Agreed I would hope that in this forum that I could say that your preaching to the choir but I dont know

[quote]carpenter480 wrote:
ZEB wrote:
rsg wrote:

This thread is riot… :slight_smile:

Agreed I would hope that in this forum that I could say that your preaching to the choir but I dont know

[/quote]

You would be surprised at the amount of young impressionable minds who actually think there is a short cut to the standard formula above.

I get the biggest kick out of 18 year olds that want to go on Testosterone boosters! Wahahahahahaha