T Nation

Is Apple Cider Vinegar In Your Diet?

Purported to have several health benefits - is it a staple in your diet?

If so have you noticed any difference? I just started drinking it every morning with pysillium husk and Superfood mixed with water

Is has active cultures which helps maintain gut flora, and butyrate production. Plus it has been clealry shown that taking acetic acid before a meal reduces the blood sugar peak.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
Is has active cultures which helps maintain gut flora, and butyrate production. Plus it has been clealry shown that taking acetic acid before a meal reduces the blood sugar peak. [/quote]

Yeah that’s what they say. But how many people actually notice a difference?

With respect to athletics it apparently lessens lactic acid buildup so marathon runners will use it post workout

Extensive studies have shown that if you have 1 tbsp before a meal, blood sugar peak is significantly less.

They fed people a cup of lettuce, with olive oil, and another group got the same thing plus 5 grams of vinegar, and a third group dot the same except it was pH neutralized “vinegar”. Then they gave them something like 75 grams of potato, and the non-neutralized vinegar group topped out on blood sugar about 20 points lower than the other two groups.

As for probiotics I prefer naturally fermented pickles and kraut, but I will definately put apple cider vinegar on baked potatoes. The potato fiber is supposed to be ideal for culturing the probiotics.