Is an Assault Rifle Needed for Hunting?

I don’t own any so called “assault weapons” tho.

You live outside of America if I remember correctly? Many ranges here offer courses, let you rent a firearm, etc…

I live in Texas. A very gun friendly state. Asked my friends earlier if they wanted to go to a range anytime Soon. We planned a date like in a week or two. there is a range close to my friends house.

2 Likes

Oh, my bad. For some reason I thought you live in Egypt or something…

Awesome. Be safe and have fun.

I would love to see the survey where they take an AR-15, put all the rosewood they possibly can on it (stock etc.), put a short magazine on it, and ask present day high schoolers, and college students if the gun in the picture should be outlawed.

1 Like

Monterey county CaliforniaYes they do run big a lot of Russian boar stock in their bloodline

My Dad killed a pig with a .22LR. Winchester trombone action(pump). I can’t remember how many shots but it took at least 8 shots, maybe even twelve. Now that is an under powered 22 for the job.

m16

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/01/23/1299474/0/en/Brownells-Makes-History-Launches-Retro-Rifles-Line.html

1 Like

Not so scary now, but there is no functional difference between this and an AR15

3 Likes

I can tell I’m going to get dragged into this thread kicking and screaming…

But big boars are mean. Mean, mean sons of bitches. I don’t think a 223 is probably the round you want, although you might make it work with rate of fire. Second a 308 or 30-06 as others stated.

Also, it depends on what the OP means by “assault rifle”–did he classify it based on looks? He already said he had no experience with guns or hunting, so was he able to determine that it was more than just scary looking?

I really like the fact that you are open about new things. Good on you!

I think a gun range is a good idea, but I would call first about lessons or something. Let them know you don’t have any experience and you don’t have any friends that are gun savvy (I’m assuming because of the thread starter you posted).

Some gun ranges will have instructors, a lot will expect you to know what you’re doing when you show up–and have rules on behavior with guns that needs to be followed.

Even more than that, I’d try to make some friends with some gun owners. There are nuts on all kinds of things–stamps, cars, you name it. Most are enthusiastic and well balanced, but you always get a few in ALL areas that are actually kinda crazy. Not just a gun thing.

Guys who grew up with guns will have different perspectives from using them all the time than people whose only experiences are inner city gangs and Hollywood (where a single shot from a 9mm pistol will put down a charging rhino/drug kingpin/helicopter lol).

That way whichever way you decide to go on the issue you have a full spectrum of experience with it, not just a media scare–most reporters are like you just less open minded and with a computer to type stories on their biases.

Also, not a single person in here wants mentally unstable people to get guns :slight_smile:

i have lived in a low income areas a majority of my life. So most of the people I knew that had guns were mostly drug dealers and gang members. I always use to wonder how tf these dudes got guns. I recall one dude having an assault rifle. I was mind blown who the hell gave him an assualt rifle

living in neighborhoods like this tend to give a person a negative impression of guns.

1 Like

Having lived in a violent crap hole of a city in the otherwise pristine state of New Jersey, I can say that you can be drawn into looking at guns negatively and thinking they are the weapon of choice for cowards and scum. Especially when they make it next to impossible for the good guys to own guns.

1 Like

A slight diversion here. What bore is needed to take down a bull walrus? I have heard of 14 bores or 16 bores, I just wasn’t sure what the terms actually meant.

Ok where are you from?

The reason I asked is to be found on this link which shows some 14 and 16 bore guns. They are very English and very old

http://stonehengearms.co.uk/long-barreled-pistol/

I am Canadian, I have never been anywhere remotely near any place a walrus could be found, they are definitely northern animals. I know that they can get damn big, and a weapon that takes down dear I suppose wouldn’t do it. Thanks.

Are you worried about a walrus attack or something? Goo goo g’joob!

I think the Beatles did it “koo koo kachoo”. No, I had read reference to what is adequate for a 400lb animal, and wondered how big a caliber does something walrus size.

1 Like

He had a selectable fire rifle?

1 Like

That was Paul Simon.