T Nation

Is a Very Stout Half-Rack Enough?

(Freestanding setup options for a beginner)

Hey all -

I’m moving into a new place this spring, and the upstairs area is perfect for a little home gym setup; however, I’m renting and not able to sink anything into the floor. Getting several sheets of 4’x8’ material is an option, I guess, but I’d prefer something I could move without having to rip up $200 worth of material every time I do (welcome to the post-undergrad nomadic lifestyle).

I’m not going to be doing crazy-high 1RMs - I’m a runner who’s looking to build a little more functional strength instead of simply doing cardio all the time. I’ve seen the Youtube videos to give me warning, but in your opinions, is having 24" half-rack spotters really that dangerous?

Out of all the racks I’ve looked at, the Sorinex Dark Horse is highest on my list so far…even though having all that plate storage seems overkill for me and I’m not quite convinced the storage-less version is stable enough to do pullups on it without tipping. But maybe I’m just paranoid?

I think I just need to buy something and start picking things up… :slight_smile:

Is there no reasonably priced gyms close to you?

If you are really living the nomadic lifestyle then I can’t think of anything that would making moving day sh*ttier than a home gym. Then again I did move once a year for 8 years post undergrad so I might be severely jaded then it comes to moving.

To answer your question in-directly, do you think it’s safe?

You’re the one lifting the weights by yourself so if something happens it’s your life. Personally I would buy a full power rack. You can get a lite-wight, rated to >315, pretty cheap if you are going to stay under that poundage.

[quote]Hifi_Hokie wrote:
I’m moving into a new place this spring, and the upstairs area is perfect for a little home gym setup; however, I’m renting…[/quote]
If there’s anyone downstairs, there’s about zero chance you’ll be able to do anything that involves a rack without bothering them. Unless you’re renting a whole house, in which case it’s obviously less an issue. Even then, I’d still try to figure out a way to lift on the ground floor to minimize stress on the 2nd floor floorboards/1st floor ceiling.

[quote]I’d prefer something I could move without having to rip up $200 worth of material every time I do (welcome to the post-undergrad nomadic lifestyle)

Out of all the racks I’ve looked at, the Sorinex Dark Horse is highest on my list so far…even though having all that plate storage seems overkill for me and I’m not quite convinced the storage-less version is stable enough to do pullups on it without tipping.[/quote]
I just looked it up. That thing’s fricking ginormous. And you think pulling up some mat flooring is going to be a hassle when you move? Reconsider.

[quote]I’m not going to be doing crazy-high 1RMs - I’m a runner who’s looking to build a little more functional strength instead of simply doing cardio all the time.

I think I just need to buy something and start picking things up… :)[/quote]
Get a barbell set and a ton of carpet remnants as makeshift cushioning. There’s a bunch you can do without a rack.
http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/1400
(Click “Oldest First” to see Wendler’s actual advice.)

But really, like JLo mentioned, I’m sure you can find a more-than-halfway decent gym in your area that’s not too expensive. It might be worth looking around for one.