T Nation

Is a 2000Lb Total What It Used to Be?

I pose this question for the following:

1. When I first started getting into PL, 2000Lb seemed like a monsterous total.

2. More individuals are hitting over 2 grand Raw and Equipment…Of course more equiped

3. Hell, I remember seeing in one federation, I believe IPF, that in order to compete you needed at least 21 or 2200…Can’t recall.

So the question is, is 2000 still respectable? IMO, this is very respectable and this is still my long-term goal. Who knows, by the time I reach 2 grand, somebody may have already hit 2900-3000:( Sucks for me, but I’ll keep training and try to break as many PR’s as possible and hopefully break a few federation records.

I think to hit 2000 raw you are in the top 5% of all powerlifters.
In single ply gear I think it is a huge milestone but can be accomplished by most lifters above 200lbs with long term dedicated training.
In multi ply I don’t think so , it is still a milestone but can be achieved by many more people under these circumstances than in raw or single ply gear/ rule requirements. That does not take anything away from the guy that totals 2000+ in multi ply gear ,i just think it is a more attainable by those that chose to lift multi ply than those who do not.

[quote]NATOR wrote:
I think to hit 2000 raw you are in the top 5% of all powerlifters.
In single ply gear I think it is a huge milestone but can be accomplished by most lifters above 200lbs with long term dedicated training.
In multi ply I don’t think so , it is still a milestone but can be achieved by many more people under these circumstances than in raw or single ply gear/ rule requirements. That does not take anything away from the guy that totals 2000+ in multi ply gear ,i just think it is a more attainable by those that chose to lift multi ply than those who do not.[/quote]

A 200lb raw total is just superhuman. You are talking an insanse level of strength to hit that number raw.

200lb single ply, very impressive and I would like to hit this as a long term goal personally.

2000lb multi ply, not what it used to be. Especially with feds calling all these half squats legit. You got guys squatting 1100lbs and only pulling 700, something very wrong there. The big weights mulit ply guys are putting up right now are still impressive in their own right, but I’d rather see a DUNKED 900lb single ply squat than a 1100lb multi ply quarter squat.

Monopoly

depends on the weight class. for a big guy, that’s very doable in single ply and even raw. 800, 500, 700.

for a middle weight and lighter, impressive.

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
A 200lb raw total is just superhuman. You are talking an insanse level of strength to hit that number raw.

200lb single ply, very impressive and I would like to hit this as a long term goal personally.

2000lb multi ply, not what it used to be. Especially with feds calling all these half squats legit. You got guys squatting 1100lbs and only pulling 700, something very wrong there. The big weights mulit ply guys are putting up right now are still impressive in their own right, but I’d rather see a DUNKED 900lb single ply squat than a 1100lb multi ply quarter squat.

Monopoly[/quote]

I’d just like to say that your post was unintentionally hilarious because you forgot a zero at the end of the first 2 "2000"s.

Anyways, I agree with Monopoly completely. It really depends on how you’re competing…

People get too caught up in single-ply vs multi-ply. There’s not nearly as much difference between the gear as people think. For most people, it’s a 125-200 lb difference. I think it depends more on the weight class.

2000 lb is 909 kilos, there is not that many dudes in the whole world doing over 900 kilos with belt and wrist wraps, so raw 2000 pound total is hyooge. with single ply Olech will probably hit 900 kilos in the 75 kilo class this year

2000 total in briefs and wraps is fucking awesome for any weight class. I would suspect it is soemthing that somethign south of 1% of competitors (including those that compete exclusively in gear) can do right now. The internet numbs you to these achievments, but out in the land of real meets, that is big. It requires a man to be able to bench in the 500s AND pull in the 700s- a rare combo- plus squat in the 700s. At the the RUM this year- a high level event with a required qualifying total- there were only 2 guys who totalled over 2K.

2000 in gear is also not an easy task. Most lareger male lifters can get there- but will not get there. Injury, impatience, bad decisions, and/or bad genetics will sidetrack most. I can point to guys I see at state meets every year that have been totalling 1600-1700 lbs for five years and those are the guys that keep trying! I have seen so many guys come and go in my gym that had potential but lacked the heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86GiDSr3Tc&playnext_from=TL&videos=W0DEODB1gls sorry for a little offtopic but this is one awesome 2000 barrier breaking total!!

[quote]hatesmiles wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86GiDSr3Tc&playnext_from=TL&videos=W0DEODB1gls sorry for a little offtopic but this is one awesome 2000 barrier breaking total!![/quote]

Wow! Awesome!! A much heavier pull than squat, the way it’s supposed to be.

He made all those lifts look effortless…its like the weights were in pounds instead of kg’s…truly impressive

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:
People get too caught up in single-ply vs multi-ply. There’s not nearly as much difference between the gear as people think. For most people, it’s a 125-200 lb difference. I think it depends more on the weight class. [/quote]

I completely agree, all you need to do is look at what people have done lately in single ply gear, a 198’er just benched 650 in a single ply shirt, his previous best was 625 as a 181’er (keeping in mind his bw was at 200lbs before the comp.) in a double ply metal viking shirt. The new single ply bench record is at 900lbs, and he was going to improve upon that record at his last meet but he bombed out lol. Andrey is a great example here, he’s been training in gear for quite some time and has an awesome RPF total, but when he did a multi-ply meet he added very little on his total, I want to say it was less than 100lbs but I’m feeling lazy so someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

I believe the biggest difference is in the quality and longevity between the single and multi-ply gear, multi-ply gear holds its “pop” much longer than single ply does. A 2000lb total in almost any weight class will get you ranked in the top 50 powerlifters in America, so it’s still very hard to achieve and if you do more than likely you are among one of the best lifters in America.

As for 2000lb raw, I believe the 5% is a gross underestimate of how you would rank among powerlifters. In the world rankings 12 of the 50 people listed totaled over 2000 raw. Being just on that list puts you at about the top 1%, so being one of 12 people to total over 2000 on a list already composed of atleast the top 1% in the world should put you a little higher than top 5%.

And as for someone totaling 2900-3000, already been done, current record by donnie thompson, 2905lbs total.

Damn 2-Scoops 2905Lbs! I was apparently unaware of such an accomplishment. Oh Well, I’ll keep plugging away.

I have to agree that the internet has made numbers very numbing in a way but at meets it is not that common…But Folks are putting in the work.

Hey SergeantQ, here is a youtube video of Donnie Thompson’s 2905.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qROD-wQ4SKg&playnext_from=TL&videos=MtPULm1xGeI

Man I like Donnie but every time I see that squat I want to vomit. I don’t know how to capture a screenshot and save it as a video but his depth is just pathetic. To even unrack that weight is a feat in itselft but come on…

What is more impressive to you guys? Adrews 2024 raw total in the 220 class or Donnies 2905 in SHW multiply?

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
Man I like Donnie but every time I see that squat I want to vomit. I don’t know how to capture a screenshot and save it as a video but his depth is just pathetic. To even unrack that weight is a feat in itselft but come on…

What is more impressive to you guys? Adrews 2024 raw total in the 220 class or Donnies 2905 in SHW multiply?

[/quote]

Adrews 2024, hands down.

Andrew’s. He’s got the depth! Just something about seeing a squat go obviously below parallel.

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:

[/quote]

True, but if you look at the last squat, i thought he got pretty close. The first two were abysmal though i agree.

As for who is more impressive, that is hard to say. On one hand there is this monsterous total, almost averaging 1000lbs for each lift and on the other you got a guy who is using minimal support and made everything look easy. I say both are impressive in there own light.

Yeah, those squats were terribly high.

Also, why the shit only jump 5lbs from his second to third squat? 5 lbs doesn’t seem like enough to add to my total to put in the effort to squat 1235 instead of passing and saving my energy for the bench and dead.

:confused: