Is 6 Hours of Sleep Enough?

I’ve tried less and literally passed out at work.
More simply isn’t doable with the amount of stuff I have in my life.
I’ve been living on 6 for about 3 weeks now…do you all think this is enough?
I sleep like a baby, so while it’s not more sleep, it seems like it’s better sleep.

some people can do it. I think Coleman said he didnt sleep that much in one of his videos. I get less than 6. Caffeinne is yur friend.

Take big naps. I’m taking a summer class from 8:30-12:30 in the morning, have to be up by 7:20 at latest. I’m getting 6-7 hrs of sleep (less tonight, as you can see), but I nap from 1 or 1:30 to 4:00 in the afternoon. And then I’m lifting by around 5:30. Not ideal but seriously, I’m forcing myself to nap these days because I’m lifting 5x a week right now, I need naps to recover.

i get 6 hours every night… maybe less and i find that i function better on that ammount… no doubt i catch up in the weekend but i remember better and feel more alive if im on 6 hours sleep than 8…

somehow getting enough sleep makes me less aware…

I’m almost 40 and am eagerly waiting for the age to come where I can nap on the sofa or anywhere else with ease.

I sleep about 7 hours,( go to bed about 11, wake up at 5:45 to go to the gym) and am never drowsy during the day.

I get 5-6 per night… but I’m not a solid sleeper.
Sometimes I feel sluggish in the afternoon (nothing a 10 minute nap can’t help).

I’m surprised I continue to make gains in the gym though. Perhaps my sleep requirements aren’t as great as I thought. On the other hand, who knows how much better progress would be if I got more sleep!

Depends, do you feel tired throughout the day? Do you have trouble focusing? Do you find that your are nodding off while reading or doing anything boring? Do you lack energy in the gym? Have you been moody or irritable?

Asking if you are sleeping enough is all relative, so you really have to figure out what is ideal for your body. I know for me that 7 hours is a godsend, 6 hrs is good, anything less than 5 and I’m dragging ass all day. Unfortunately I usually get about 5.5 hrs during the week, then try to catch up on the weekends. Having a busy schedule and living far from work blows.

I get a solid 6-6.5 hours every night. I find that I’m more tired with more sleep. Like on Saturday’s when I sleep in to 8. Very difficult to get going after that.

6 hrs tops for me…I wish i could get 8. Do you get bags under your eyes? I keep my books under my eyes.

LOL. I went all of the way through school getting less sleep than that on average. What I have learned is that how much sleep you NEED is more individual than some might think. For most people, I would think 6-8 hours is enough. I know some bodybuilders who try to sleep up to 12…so I assume they don’t work.

1hr of sleep negates 2 hours of being awake, so 8 of sleep, 16 of awake. That said the body can adapt to damn near anything. Though the military found that PTSD cases increases dramatically as nightly sleep went down.

Also, whatever you do, keep yourself on schedule just like everything else, if you sleep 6 hours a night, don’t think sleeping 8 before a big presentation or test will make you better, it will only make you worse because you body isn’t adapted to it anymore.

It was touched on above but the quality of sleep that YOU NEED is the most important number. I can sleep for 5 hours and get a great nights sleep and feel wonderful the next day. I struggle with some apnea so I can also get 8-10 hours and have a real shitty night and be exhausted and hour after i wake up.

Sometimes… At night… When I can’t sleep… i touch myself

is there something wrong with me?

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
Sometimes… At night… When I can’t sleep… i touch myself

is there something wrong with me?[/quote]

Depends on your quality of sleep after your done… :slight_smile:

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:
I’ve tried less and literally passed out at work.
More simply isn’t doable with the amount of stuff I have in my life.
I’ve been living on 6 for about 3 weeks now…do you all think this is enough?
I sleep like a baby, so while it’s not more sleep, it seems like it’s better sleep.[/quote]

This is not an issue if your feeling well and rested. However 3 weeks is a long time to be on your period.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LOL. I went all of the way through school getting less sleep than that on average. What I have learned is that how much sleep you NEED is more individual than some might think. For most people, I would think 6-8 hours is enough. I know some bodybuilders who try to sleep up to 12…so I assume they don’t work.[/quote]

Marko Savolainen said he used to sleep 16 hours a day: 12 hours at night and a 2 hour nap twice during daytime. He literally did nothing but eat, sleep and train.

[quote]four60 wrote:
However 3 weeks is a long time to be on your period.[/quote]
Good point, see your OB/GYN