T Nation

Is 32 Too Old for Local Fights?

What’s up guys?

I’m 32 years old, 5’11, and weigh 185lbs. I’ve decided that I’d like to start Muay Thai training. From there, I hope to also progress on to BJJ, and ideally go for a full on MMA style training… This is my goal for my 33rd Bday (which incidentally is the 18th…)

Brief history:

I started lifting weights… when I was 123lbs… (at the same height… I know… :S) and training basically to ‘get huuuuuge’ so people would stop calling me a bone-rack/skinny ass/Ethiopian etc… typical HS bullshit…

Anyway… I’m in decent shape now… and am around 12 - 15% BF… (fatter then my avatar and with a few more tats… :wink: )

My goals have now changed. I no longer want to train for ‘size’, but more for athleticism, and athletic function… I would LOVE to train and eventually do a fight…

If you guys have ANY tips or whatever, I’d REALLY appreciate it…

I’m gunna start by soaking in this forum…

This is the school I’ll be attending. It’s pretty renowned here in Ottawa. - http://www.oama.ca/

Thanks again!

V.

hands up, chin down, and stay off the flat of your back during sparring especially with guys that weigh more than you. Get a cup. Fight it out in the ammys and also grappling tournaments before even considering going pro. In Texas, once you go pro, you cant go back to the ammys and all fights are ranked so check with your coaches at your school. Dont fight pro without representation like a manager. Get blood tested, AIDS/HIV, hep-C and the like. Build your conditioning up as high as possible. Good luck, train hard.

No, it’s not too old to be a club fighter.

Camtao will probably open again…I see you Oama guys fight all the time. I’m 20…I’m gonna drop to your class and fuck your shit up.

haha jk man. it’s not too old…Hell when I was 18 I fought a 29 year old! If your doing amateur you’ll probably get paired up with a young gun…not that it matters much you will probably be stronger than them though.

If your doing this well you don’t want to completely drop strength work and such. you can still get in great conditioning in and hit some weights. I recommend this for athleticism and still trying to bring up strength.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/ultimatesplitfaq.html - this is just a FAQ about the split.

Besides that it’s never too old!

What organization will you join? Cask?

I haven’t seen the Oama guys fight in a while since Camtao shutdown, where do most of them fight? (if you know)

Anyways yeah Oama is good from what I’ve heard…I hear they send guys to Thailand as well for training. Good luck in your journey!

or as the Thai’s say…Chok Dee

my friend just had his first mma fight at 38 in vegas…dropped a 22 year old kid, took his back and pounded him out. so i guess 32 isn’t that old

Nope it is not too old. Do work,son.

Your story sounds exactly like mine. Height, weight, twig boy past, etc…

I’m 32. Got started last year. I’m having a blast, and I’m sure you will too.

I’m in Ottawa too, and we recently had an amateur bout in Gatineau where a guy in his late 20s fought this 40 year old. – Yeah, not going to comment on the match making, but it was a hell of a fight. Went to decision fyi.

OAMA is a well structured school and I believe if you work hard, they will guide you. Although I don’t know their system too well, I think you’ve got to put in some time before going pro. Amateur fights, on the other hand, are readily available in the area. Speak with a rep from the club about your interest in fighting, and if/where their guys have amateur bouts. Personally, I’ve never seen an OAMA fighter in a bout in Hull or Laval.

and fyi- if you want to train in both programs, get on it! No point in starting bjj six months after starting MT. Enjoy both programs as there is an incredible amount to learn from both arts. Then you’ve still got stuff to pull from boxing lessons and wrestling… the learning never ends!! :slight_smile:

[quote]VibeAlive wrote:
What’s up guys?

I’m 32 years old, 5’11, and weigh 185lbs. I’ve decided that I’d like to start Muay Thai training. From there, I hope to also progress on to BJJ, and ideally go for a full on MMA style training… This is my goal for my 33rd Bday (which incidentally is the 18th…)

Brief history:

I started lifting weights… when I was 123lbs… (at the same height… I know… :S) and training basically to ‘get huuuuuge’ so people would stop calling me a bone-rack/skinny ass/Ethiopian etc… typical HS bullshit…

Anyway… I’m in decent shape now… and am around 12 - 15% BF… (fatter then my avatar and with a few more tats… :wink: )

My goals have now changed. I no longer want to train for ‘size’, but more for athleticism, and athletic function… I would LOVE to train and eventually do a fight…

If you guys have ANY tips or whatever, I’d REALLY appreciate it…

I’m gunna start by soaking in this forum…

This is the school I’ll be attending. It’s pretty renowned here in Ottawa. - http://www.oama.ca/

Thanks again!

V.[/quote]

It takes years to become a competitve fighter.Believe in yourself & train hard.
You shouldnt be preocupaid with muscle size or bf.
Dont expect too much in one year.
If your goal is MMA,start MMA right away.Its combat sport different than Muay Thai or BJJ.
Good luck!

Yes! I have trained with several guys who first picked it up in their late thirties or forties. I also have trained with a lot of guys that age who stopped showing up once it became clear that it was going to take time to get any good.

Be prepared to get your ass kicked for the first six months or so. But if you hang in there you will gain skills and can absolutely compete.

Your age and physical shape isnt as much of an issue as your lack of MMA skills are if your just starting out. Thats a decent school to learn at. I would just recommend entering MT and no-gi grappling tournaments before you ever get into an MMA match. But your never too old. Have fun

Wow! GREAT replies… thanks a LOT guys… that’s awesome… I really appreciate all this…

My GF just got me a pair of club shorts, hand wraps, a mouth guard, and a few club Ts for my Bday! Can’t wait to get on this!

Thanks VERY much for the encouragement… I’m REALLY excited to do this… :slight_smile:

i think it would be a very good idea for you to show up to your first day in teh outfit your avatar is wearing. let em know you mean business

I would train for at least a year before you start looking to fight. Watch the local fights, and pay attention to how the matches are set, ie, do they look well matched, or are there a lot of mismatches? If you see a promoter who does a lot of mismatches, you would probably want to avoid that show.

Starting the way you mentioned has merit, though I wouldn’t wait the full 6. Doing separate MT and BJJ classes will help(IMO) you to learn the basics of each better than if you go straight to MMA classes. After 6 mos or so, then jump into the MMA classes.

Like someone said above, talk to the head trainers and tell them your plans. Make sure you are humble, and that you emphasize that you want to train for a decent amount of time before jumping in, and that you would be open to their judgement on whether or not you are ready, since they probably get wannabes every day saying how they can kick all kinds of ass.

I would train for at least a year before you start looking to fight. Watch the local fights, and pay attention to how the matches are set, ie, do they look well matched, or are there a lot of mismatches? If you see a promoter who does a lot of mismatches, you would probably want to avoid that show.

Starting the way you mentioned has merit, though I wouldn’t wait the full 6. Doing separate MT and BJJ classes will help(IMO) you to learn the basics of each better than if you go straight to MMA classes. After 6 mos or so, then jump into the MMA classes.

Like someone said above, talk to the head trainers and tell them your plans. Make sure you are humble, and that you emphasize that you want to train for a decent amount of time before jumping in, and that you would be open to their judgement on whether or not you are ready, since they probably get wannabes every day saying how they can kick all kinds of ass.

OAMA is a good school and is easily one of the best in Ottawa. I have seen a couple of their guys fight in Hull (Apex I think). Their team has quite a bit of experience. I don’t think age is going to be your issue but like other folks have said it will be your lack of experience in martial arts in general. Only training constantly can resolve that. I agree also that you will likely need more than a year to get to where you need to be to fight on a local show although I have seen plently or shows in Gatineau and Montreal and there are plenty of guys fighting with little or no experience.

I too have considered fighting in the local fight nights, but honestly one thought will forever keep me out of the ring/octagon. What if I get hurt? My job requires that I be 100% capable of performing my duties. If I break my hand, I’m out till it heals and short term disability payments are a paltry 60% of my regular wages. My long term financial security is more important than my desire to test myself against others.