Is 30+ Sets OK? Or 40+ Sets?

WTF is up with these troll threads lately?

What?

I could send you photo for proof

There have been a rash of threads that are overtly absurd lately.

Now at 120 pounds, you’re asking if you should reduce calories because you had to leave the gym early…

It was suggested that you drop this program in the first thread you made. Did you? Nah, you didn’t.

What you should do is stop reading about training on the internet and just do it.

I’m temporally banned for the day, I don’t know why.

What’s so special about 20 sets, letalone 30 or 40? If you want to get bigger and stronger, it can be done with 15 sets 3 days a week.

The total sets are one variable of an entire program. The reps per set are a huge variable. The sets per bodypart are another huge variable. Bodypart frequency is a huge variable. You’re overfocusing on just one small aspect of a plan.

Bottomline, which guys told you here and in your thread a few weeks ago, choose one well-designed routine by a qualified coach (USMC suggested a pretty good a few posts up) and follow it exactly as-written.

The fact that you think you “have to” do 40 sets of anything to see results proves that you don’t know anything about training, and you’d be better off following advice from people who do.

Um… no you’re not. I’m not even going point out that posting to say you’ve been banned is kinda hysterical. :facepalm:

I think you might benefit from a line of Mark Rippetoe’s that I’ve taken to heart. It goes something like
‘The variable that we manipulate to sustain adaptation is not the number of sets or reps or the number of workouts, it’s the weight’.
Apologies if I’ve misquoted, but I think it’s relevant.

[quote=“anon50325502, post:24, topic:227851”]
There have been a rash of threads that are overtly absurd lately.[/quote]
I’m still of the opinion that the majority of them are simply coming from stupidity - too dumb to realize they’re dumb - rather than intentional trolling.

2 Likes

It’s one day… It’s not a big deal…

Ya, maybe. I mean, this kid seems nice enough, but come on…

They said I can’t let you in today because we don’t to risk blood on the equipment.

Thank you mate

I had a cut finger form chopping chicken yesterday, it started to bleed again so I got a plaster from the reception and after about 5 minutes it started to come off. Then I went back to reception and asked can I have another plaster they I’d suggest going home because we don’t want to risk blood on the equipment. So the owner of the gym said go home. Another guy said while I was training go home, the security guard said go home, the personal trainers said go home.

I thought you were talking about banned from the forum here, since to idea of you trolling was just brought up. But yes, bleeding in the gym is very not cool, despite what hardcore deadlifters might say.

Training with any kind of open wound is dumb and probably a good way to get a staph infection. Take the day, spend time meal prepping, and get back to train when you’re bandaged up.

I know it seems ignorant for me to ask this but should I still decrease my calories? Thanks, I didn’t know it was serious.

What, exactly, did you do in the gym? The exercises, sets, and reps.

If you actually weigh 120lbs like your profile says, then no.

1 Like

I did squats 6 sets of 5 reps to failure then did bent over row 5 sets of 5 reps to failure.

Increase calories to help the healing process! You’re not Wolverine!

1 Like

Ok thanks.