T Nation

Is 11 Sets Overtaining?

So i did 11 sets for chest or 10. They were over failire with heavy weight that i can get up 12 to 5 times(225). My first set was bench press. I started with 185 five times just to warm up. After I did 225 as many times as i could four seconds down(my dumbass coach made me)So it was so much harder than normal speed pressing. I got 7 or 8 times but they made us do 10 times so i had to do 2 failure reps. I got only about 1 min 1.30 min at the most of rest.

Next i did 225 again like 5 times so i had to do 5 failure sets. Next I did 245 like 4 times and had to do the rest to failure. Last set i did same weight oly 3 times and rest to failure. Then i had to do incline. I did about 5 reps to 6 reps accept last set I did like 4 (I had 4 sets of incline) It was also 4 seconds down. I had to do to failure past it. I then did 3 sets of light flys of 12 reps could have done 15. Did i over train. P.S. keep in mind that im a teen so my test level is high so i recover faster and i eat right but i might have done too many sets or to intense.

To[sic] intense for me.

i could max out like at 300. The weight is not a lot but intense. If it was up to me i would do 245 for 5 reps for 5 sets.

in retrospect did I over train assuming that everthing else is right.

Well that is a WHOLE lot of chest work- but every once in a while to shock the hell out of your body its ok. I am assuming this is not what you would normally do?

BTW-do you mean Over training your chest-or Over training in General?

I’ve started doing a lot of volume, sometimes more than even this, after coming from doing basically just 5x5. I grew, and got stronger. And my conditioning improved. :slight_smile:

yeah that is way too much. goochadamg has a solid workout. if you can do that many sets and reps add weight, cut it down just a little bit, and trust me you’ll get much stronger.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
I’ve started doing a lot of volume, sometimes more than even this, after coming from doing basically just 5x5. I grew, and got stronger. And my conditioning improved. :)[/quote]

Just want to add that the “to failure” shit is what will kill you. Avoid that.

yeah i agree, though a lot of strength coaches believe that, that is the best way to get stronger. you need a good mix of reps and sets.

so does that mean that i over trained and does getting weaker in a certain excercise mean you over trained

4 seconds down is just dumb…Especialy for football were a lot is power and explosion.

by the way player what part of Ill you live in

i don’t think you “overtrained” you just need to fix your routine. Yeah, the four seconds down sounds kindof dumb. It’s HIT training. But there is a science behind it, involving the negative phase to increase strength, alot of top universities use for their players in football. and i live in Oak Lawn, just south of chicago.

Volume training such as this is good if you don’t do it for a year straight. (12 weeks is about when your body starts seeing diminished gains due to adaptation.)

Overtraining is a term that should not be in your lifting vocabulary. If you want to add size and are on a volume routine, then you are going to need to fuel the cause with a lot of fucking food.

P.S. 2-0-4 tempo is standard in volume routines. Adjust the weight before you break tempo.

NO, overtraining takes more than one workout.

More than 2 too smart asses

first off relax alright. 11 sets of one exercise is still too much, your working out the same muscle fibers of the chest. you also need to variate the angle to include other parts of the chest such ast he lateral parts to include pec minor, the medial, your upper, and your lower.

yes but what about working out for strenth. I do not think 4 second tempo is good for football.

[quote]chicktuna wrote:
So i did 11 sets for chest or 10. They were over failire with heavy weight that i can get up 12 to 5 times(225). My first set was bench press. I started with 185 five times just to warm up. After I did 225 as many times as i could four seconds down(my dumbass coach made me)So it was so much harder than normal speed pressing. I got 7 or 8 times but they made us do 10 times so i had to do 2 failure reps. I got only about 1 min 1.30 min at the most of rest.

Next i did 225 again like 5 times so i had to do 5 failure sets. Next I did 245 like 4 times and had to do the rest to failure. Last set i did same weight oly 3 times and rest to failure. Then i had to do incline. I did about 5 reps to 6 reps accept last set I did like 4 (I had 4 sets of incline) It was also 4 seconds down. I had to do to failure past it. I then did 3 sets of light flys of 12 reps could have done 15. Did i over train. P.S. keep in mind that im a teen so my test level is high so i recover faster and i eat right but i might have done too many sets or to intense.[/quote]

Did your arms fall off?

Don’t feed the troll!
It only encourages 'em.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Don’t feed the troll!
It only encourages 'em.[/quote]

True, feed him garlic and squash it will weaken his power. If in fact he isn’t, IMO, 11 sets isn’t overtraining. Its user specific. Shoot, I have 4 working sets and 3-4 drops on just the flat DB bench and I still have incline, decline, and pump/stretch work left to do.