IronOne's Strength Journey

Awesome videos Iron… I hope I remember them.
I would like to incorporate that stuff especially the 2 dudes about the hip and the psoas thing.
Thanks man

1 Like

Man, that is a good video. Those dudes are Incredible communicators. There is so much information in there. All the vodoo/science stuff is hidden behind some jokes.

It’s taken me like 6 years to figure out the things they put into 6 minutes.

The face dick stick is great! How many times have we seen someone try to demonstrate with the stick held on their back?

Also, you mentioned doing the Psoas March with a band pulling your leg. Which leg? I saw a picture of a skinny guy doing something similar the other day, so I think this could be cool.
Glen-Mills

1 Like

The psoas March is lying on ground on back and tying a light band to the very bottom of rig then loop over foot. Proceed to pull leg up and cross 90* to engage flexors/psoas. Back must stay flat with core engaged (hardest part) to use the psoas, otherwise you’re using the tfl and the wrong flexors making problems worse.

Awesome exercise. Will increase flexion ROM and reduce hip pain dramatically, at least acutely. After I perform them, my groin is so mobile and silky.

1 Like

And, possibly the coolest Christmas present of all time presented to me by my sales reps:

4 Likes

W4D1 - 12/23/2018

Warmup with rolling, active hang, super d shoulder + bench warmup

Mid Inc Swiss Bar Bench
40x10, 90x5, 130x5, 160x2, 185x1, 160x4x8
-with-
Chins
7x7

Standing DB OHP
30x12, 45x3x12
-with-
Strict BB Rows
85x12, 115x3x12

Decline KB Tri Ext
26x20, 44x20, 62x16, 62x15
-with-
Axle Curl
35x20, 45x3x20

YWTL
3x10

Very low energy today. Did not have enough food in my system + my heart has been acting up. Still, progressed all movements. Will bump 10-15lbs on inc Swiss Bench and start the progression back over.

Have 4 dr apts in January, most notably my heart ablation scheduled for January 26th. Hopefully this crap will be behind me and it’ll be ass kicking time again :slight_smile:

4 Likes

W4D2 - Christmas Eve

Warmup with rolling, hang, side plank + abduction, copenhagen plank, some stick dislocates and ext rot stretch, hip circle squats

Squat
45x2x5, 75x5, 95x5, 135x3, 165x2, 195x1, 205x1, 150x4x8

Axle RDL
55x8, 75x8, 115x3x12

RFESS
10x3x15

Hollow hold 2x
Ab Wheel 2x10

Finished with PT for hips and shoulders.

Squats are feeling strong and pain free. I will continue to add chunks of weight weekly until a rep slows or quality is lost. 225 on tap next week. 205 was a speed rep.

2 Likes

Good to see the squats are progressing

Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:

1 Like

W4D3 - 12/26/2018

Warmup with rolling, hang, super d shoulder protocol

Axle OHP
25x10, 55x5, 75x5, 105x2, 125x1, 135x1, 115x4x8
-with-
Chin Variations
5x8

Mid Inc DB Press
40x12, 65x3x12
-with-
Meadows Row
40x12, 70x3x12

Ring Pushup
3x15
-with-
KB Concentration Curls
26x50, 44x2x25

Leaning Band Lateral
3x20

Continue to progress without adding rep difficulty. Won’t last long. I was able to get through all 4 sets of 8 on ohp without pausing at the top of a rep. Could have probably done 125 4x8 on this day. Same with the inc db, room there. However, this is the RPE I’m looking for right now.

Next week will be a deload week, which I’m thinking will be good timing in the middle of this comeback. Providing weather is good, I’d like to hit the track a few days and co tinue the rehab/pt work aggressively. There’s no doubt I’ve got the right PT work dialed in.

After the deload, I will continue with the double progression for another 4 weeks before starting rep maxes with back down work.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the double progression after running SGSS. I wish I could run it all year but I keep running into these stupid injuries.

1 Like

Yeah, I like it too. I think the key for me (and probably you) is to stay away from grinding reps to meet the progression goals. Keep the RPE down at 7-8 at all times. Basically, a training max. This way rep quality stays high, but you can still progress. It’s hard, it’s in our nature to want to progress fast and move bigger weights…but I’ve done this, it it doesn’t work for me. I get hurt. Bad.

So, hopefully this is the answer. Along with well timed deloads.

2 Likes

Pic time:

Puffed up after Christmas splurging. Arms on point.

Dont mind my youngest daughter tearing some shit up :joy:

4 Likes

I did this with my first round of SGSS and matched our beat my lifetime PRs. I haven’t had a chance to reload and run it again but I think a 5 lb increase on everything would be a safe plan. SGSS is 12 weeks so I could run it for a year and only increase my top sets by 20 lbs. Talk about taking it slow and steady.

Best part of the picture!

1 Like

Love it. Just think about the size gains.

1 Like

When the bar speed slows down the set is over. Grinding out reps is not building dynamic lift potential…

Right?

1 Like

strongman contender nice log press :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s right. I do not need the skill of grinding in my repertoire. :+1:

W4D4 - 12/27/2018

Warmup with rolling, hang, side plank w/abduction and copenhagen side planks, bw squats

Low Handle TBDL
95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 275x1, 305x1, 245x4x8

Front Squat
45x5, 75x5, 105x3x12
-with-
DB SLDL
30x12, 45x3x12

Spanish Squats
BWx12, 26x2x15, 26x12

Hollow Holds
3x
Ab Wheel
1x20

Cooled down with rolling, and light stretching.

Vid of a TBDL speed rep 305x1

Vid of second series of FS with SLDL

Deload time. Feeling good.

2 Likes

12/28/2019 - Re/Prehab of Champions

-Full body roll (15-20 mins)
-Active hang
-3x10 copenhagen side plank
-3x10 side plank with abduction
-band shoulder streches and activation/strengthening
-Super D shoulder protocol
-Super D bench warmup/ext rot
-psoa band marches
-1x10 YWTL

Going to take tomorrow completely off, minus a long walk.

Interesting. When i move my left leg around in certain places i can feel the ball sort of out of the socket. It’s only on my left leg though

Yep, the slightest bit of ext rot of the hip and I get the clunk. Rot back in, and it’s a smooth transition on the move. My PT did say try to work it into ext rot over time though. However, if it’s a ball/socket morphology issue, not sure it’s possible. Will continue to work on it minus the clunk.

1 Like