T Nation

Ironmind Home Equipment Question

Hi everyone,

My current gym membership is going to expire in a few months and I don’t think I want to renew it as I hate my gym. I wanted to buy some good equipment for my room. I was really attracted by the ironmind.com website, but their prices seem outrageous.

I wanted to get the Vulcan Racks w/ the squat and dipping bar inserts, price: $519.90 + $105.00 S&H = 624.9

And later I would get the chining bar inserts, price: $189.95 + $35.00 S&H = 224.95

Total: 849.85

So the question I have is primarily for the people that own or have extensively used ironminds Vulcan Racks. Are they really worth their price? Are they stable? If properly cared for, will they last for at least 10 years? (with the price so high, I would expect them to have a really long warranty but I don’t think they do) Are there better alternatives?

Any comments will be of great help. Thanks all.

My comments… Buy whatever you can from craigslist.com :wink: If you’re lucky you may find a good used vulcan rack in your area. hell, I’d even search within 100 miles for one if it would save you money. But yeah, craigslist is the pappy for used gym equipment.

Certainly someone has a Ironminds Vulcan Racks? Care to share your opinion please?

yeah does that price include actual weights?

[quote]schultzie wrote:
yeah does that price include actual weights?[/quote]

No weights at all…its just a stand thats universal which can hold squat inserts, dip inserts, chin-up bar insert, which all cost extra dough.

Check it out: http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1217-DB

Is Ironmind full of itself to charge such outrageous prices, or is it really worth it? Someone must be buying, or it would be bad business.

You can get those for a fraction of the price (between $ 100 and 200). Look around!

www.shermworks.com/

Last Call, any actual Vulcan Rack users?

Thanks in advance.

[quote]RushNRocket wrote:
Hi everyone,

My current gym membership is going to expire in a few months and I don’t think I want to renew it as I hate my gym. I wanted to buy some good equipment for my room. I was really attracted by the ironmind.com website, but their prices seem outrageous.

I wanted to get the Vulcan Racks w/ the squat and dipping bar inserts, price: $519.90 + $105.00 S&H = 624.9

And later I would get the chining bar inserts, price: $189.95 + $35.00 S&H = 224.95

Total: 849.85

So the question I have is primarily for the people that own or have extensively used ironminds Vulcan Racks. Are they really worth their price? Are they stable? If properly cared for, will they last for at least 10 years? (with the price so high, I would expect them to have a really long warranty but I don’t think they do) Are there better alternatives?

Any comments will be of great help. Thanks all.

[/quote]

I had virtually all the major pieces Ironmind has to sell.

I had the Vulcan Racks, the Dipping Bars, the Safety Racks (Pillars of Power) ever since 1993. I also had the Olympic Husky Handle Dumbbells.

I banged the hell out of these things for 14 years and they never once blinked. I loved those tools.

My web site goes into great detail regarding my newest Ironmind addition - the 5 Star Flat Bench. Have a look at the review here:

totalphysiqueonline.com/2008/07/10/
ironmind-five-star-flat-bench-review/

Postscript:

Sadly, a house fire in 2007 forced me to part with all of my Ironmind tools, accept for the Olympic Husky Handle Dumbbells, which I held on to.

totalphysiqueonline.com/2009/02/03/eleiko-
weight-plates-for-my-husky-handle-dumbbell-handles/

Right now all I have are the Husky Handle Dumbbells and the wonderful 5-Star FLat Bench, which I have had for about 6 months now.

My overall opinion of the Ironmind tools are that they are strong as hell, but very expensive. I sometimes think the price is based on some hubris, but in the final analysis these tools are as strong as anything on the market, so the way I figure it Strossen can charge what he wants - and he does.

If I could come into $3000.00 cash again, I would blow it all on Ironmind tools. I miss my setup immensely.

If you go down this road I do not think you will be disappointed.