T Nation

Iron Sports Strength Method Sample Program

For those of you who have read the book, in the fourth week it says something along the lines of:

“Take 60% of your one rep max from week one and set up moderate to hard band tension.Work up
the bar weight to where you could get maybe 6 or 7 reps and do it for 5 sets of 5 reps.”

Does this mean to set up reverse bands or bands from the bottom? I just don’t understand why it says to put on 60% bar weight, then add band tension, then work up.

[quote]GruntOrama wrote:
For those of you who have read the book, in the fourth week it says something along the lines of:

“Take 60% of your one rep max from week one and set up moderate to hard band tension.Work up
the bar weight to where you could get maybe 6 or 7 reps and do it for 5 sets of 5 reps.”

Does this mean to set up reverse bands or bands from the bottom? I just don’t understand why it says to put on 60% bar weight, then add band tension, then work up.[/quote]
I have not read the book at all but it seems this mean bands at the bottom to accommodate resistance, I also believe it is saying something of putting the 60% max from week one to have a point to start on bar weight then add band tension until you can do it safely for 6 or 7 reps. But I have not read the boo so honestly i wouldn’t know what your referring to.

1. Load the bar with 60% of your week 1 weight.
  2. Add band tension from the bottom (make it moderate hard - no formula here).
  3. Do a few ramp sets adding weight to the bar, but leaving the band tension constant. When you get to a set of 5 that feels like you have 2 reps left in the tank - that is your 5 by 5 weight.

That is exactly what doesn’t make sense though. When using moderate - hard band tension it can add quite a bit of weight to the top of the lift. Why would you go to 60% of a 1RM then suddenly toss a bunch of band tension on instead of starting with band tension and slowly adding bar weight. This is especially confusing since you will end up adding more bar weight anyway. I just don’t understand the purpose of adding bar weight before adding band tension if you are going to work up anyway.