Iron Sharpens Iron

Had PT today along with my normal Tuesday routine. I was tested and the Therapist is about to turn me loose. We worked on stretching the posterior chain and hip flexors, and she tested my back ligaments and core strength. Apparently I have naturally loose spinal ligaments and she suggested I work extra hard on strengthening the supporting back muscles in order to handle heavier loads.

Did my one hour brisk walk last night to burn a little fat. Here’s my “cardio” routine if you can call it that. Grab one of my favorite cigars out of the humi, get a 7 iron or wedge, get the dog and walk down to the third tee box of my home course. Its a golf course cut into the canyons of the Texas Hill Country so there are a lot of elevation changes and its very scenic. At sunset I let the dog chase deer, turkey, rabbits or whatever is moving in the woods while I work on my short game. I keep my heart rate up and don’t inhale! It ain’t tire flip’in but thats how I roll.

Biceps

Preacher Curls - 10x75, 8x95, 8x95
Standing Barbell Curls - 3x5x110 … in the squat rack…kidding.
DB Bosu Ball Curls - On the recommendation of my PT I tried these. She wants me to work on stablizer core muscles. They are harder than they look. 2x8x35, 2x5x35.

Your cardio routine looks fun!

So how do you strengthen loose spinal ligaments, beltless high rep strict good mornings?

[quote]mrodock wrote:
Your cardio routine looks fun!

So how do you strengthen loose spinal ligaments, beltless high rep strict good mornings?[/quote]

Not much I can do about it except build a very strong lower back and core. The PT thinks its genetic. I never use a belt.

Today was Legs.

Incline Leg Press
10 x 230
10 x 270
10 x 360
10 x 450

Squats
10 x 135 Front warmup
10 x 185
10 x 225
8 x 275
8 x 275
10 x 225
The last two times I pulled my back was with 275 on the 3rd rep so I was a little nervous. I concentrated on form and was happy to be pain free on these.

Good Mornings
10 x 135
10 x 185
10 x 205
8 x 205

Seated Hamstring Curls
10 x 190
8 x 205
10 x 190

Incline Press - Calves
20 x 230
20 x 270
20 x 360
15 x 450

Seated Calf Raise
15 x 135
12 x 180
12 x 180
10 x 180

Treadmill - 40 minutes of interval work. The treadmill is a torture device after doing legs.

Overall I’m pretty happy about leaving the gym with no back pain. I’m looking forward to gradually increasing squat poundages at a safe rate over time. Gotta be patient.

I run a golf forum with over 6000 members and I can’t figure out why this forum is a). Slow to refresh and b). won’t allow members to delete their own posts.
Oh well - the content is what its all about.

[quote]Bagger wrote:

I run a golf forum with over 6000 members and I can’t figure out why this forum is a). Slow to refresh and b). won’t allow members to delete their own posts.
Oh well - the content is what its all about.[/quote]

Looks like you thoroughly trashed your legs!

Yeah, I’ve wondered about (b) for awhile now.

welcome, and sounds like you have had a
good PT.
nice work
kmc

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
welcome, and sounds like you have had a
good PT.
nice work
kmc[/quote]

Thanks kmc for the welcome and yes - she’s not only a great PT but shes cute enough that I might be tempted to strain my back again, or at least fake it.
Sorry, no pics.

[quote]Bagger wrote:

Oh well - the content is what its all about.[/quote]

I hate slow. That having been said, this site is probably about 150,000 members. One can remove what they said in their post with the edit feature. The fact you made a post will remain. The time and date will also change to the time and date of the edit.

I had a hard time getting motivated this morning. Dreary weather and the two beers I had last night gave me a slight hangover. I don’t know about you guys, but as I get older I’m less and less tolerant to alcohol. Lifes little trade-offs as we age can be a beeeatch.

Standing Military Press
10 x Bar
10 x 95
8 x 115
8 x 135

Seated DB Military Press
10 x 35
10 x 40
8 x 50

Lateral DB Raise
15 x 15
10 x 20
10 x 20

Planks
3 sets

Side Planks
2 sets per side

Crunches
3 sets of 25

Hanging Leg Raises
3 sets of 25

Abdominal Vacuum
5 sets

Had a consultation with my Orthopaedic Surgeon after the workout and he encouraged me to squat heavy and deadlift. He also suggested that if my form isn’t quite where I want it yet, rather than go heavy do sets of 20 with a challenging weight. Great guy - If you ever need a good reference for an Orthopaedic Doc in Central Texas shoot me a PM.

Finished the week with some back work.

Pullups
12xBW
7xBW+25
6xBW+25
10xBW
8xBW

Pull Downs
10x150
10x135
10x120
8x120

Bent Barbell Rows
10x90
10x135
8x135

Seated Cable Rows
10x150
8x150
6x150
8x120

Deadlifts - Form work
1x135
1x185
3x225
3x225
3x275

Rack Pulls
8x225

Bicep Curls - Barbell
10x90
8x110
8x110

Bicep Preacher Curls
10x75
8x95
6x95

It was nice to do some pulling again and I experimented with narrow stance vs wide stance, wide grip vs narrow grip combinations. Not sure if I have a preference yet, but the wide stance with grip inside the knees is interesting.

[quote]Bagger wrote:
I had a hard time getting motivated this morning. Dreary weather and the two beers I had last night gave me a slight hangover. I don’t know about you guys, but as I get older I’m less and less tolerant to alcohol. Lifes little trade-offs as we age can be a beeeatch.

5 sets

Had a consultation with my Orthopaedic Surgeon after the workout and he encouraged me to squat heavy and deadlift. He also suggested that if my form isn’t quite where I want it yet, rather than go heavy do sets of 20 with a challenging weight. Great guy - If you ever need a good reference for an Orthopaedic Doc in Central Texas shoot me a PM.[/quote]

Sounds like you’ve got a good doc there.

[quote]Bagger wrote:

It was nice to do some pulling again and I experimented with narrow stance vs wide stance, wide grip vs narrow grip combinations. Not sure if I have a preference yet, but the wide stance with grip inside the knees is interesting.[/quote]

Wide stance with grip inside the knees (sumo) is a fair amount easier on the low back with good form than conventional deadlift. It really nails the hamstrings, butt, and upper back, and requires good hip flexibility (otherwise it can irritate the front of your hips). I just made the switch and so far I’ve very glad I did.

Welcome Bagger!

Thanks Daddyz and Elaikases for the welcome and checking out my thread. Its nice to be in the company of other lifters.

Today was chest day and I had the gym all to myself

Bench
5x135
3x205
1x245
1x275
1x315 - This was my old PR and it went up pretty fast so I figured what the hell, I have the safety bars set right at my chest so no spot needed.
1x325 - Came down slow and click hit the safety bars while simultaneously touching my chest, then up she went inch by inch. A new PR. I had to put the photo up because there’s something about 3 plates that is a mental block, its a reminder I’m over it.
2x275
10x225

Incline Bench
5x185
6x205
3x225

Decline Bench
5x265
6x245
5x245

Barbell Flys
8x40
5x50
5x45

The 1RM Bench really took alot out of me so I ended it there. Normally I would do some Calf and Lower Back work. It was also a reminder that in competition, there is still two big lifts left to do!

[quote]Bagger wrote:
Bench
5x135
3x205
1x245
1x275
1x315 - This was my old PR and it went up pretty fast so I figured what the hell, I have the safety bars set right at my chest so no spot needed.
1x325 - Came down slow and click hit the safety bars while simultaneously touching my chest, then up she went inch by inch. A new PR. I had to put the photo up because there’s something about 3 plates that is a mental block, its a reminder I’m over it.
2x275
10x225

The 1RM Bench really took alot out of me so I ended it there. Normally I would do some Calf and Lower Back work. It was also a reminder that in competition, there is still two big lifts left to do![/quote]

Congrats on the new PR Bagger!

[quote]Bagger wrote:

[/quote]

Awesome job, congratulations!

Way to go on the bench PR Bagger… Congrats!

Thanks Soldog, mrodock and formfunction. I’m sure if we were in the gym you’d be embarrased by my fist pumping and yelling after the lift. Nothing more frightening than an out-of-control 50 year old dude making a fool of himself. Not sure if he is having a stroke, coronary, or just happy. Good thing the gym was empty.

[quote]Bagger wrote:
Thanks Daddyz and Elaikases for the welcome and checking out my thread. Its nice to be in the company of other lifters.

Today was chest day and I had the gym all to myself

Bench
5x135
3x205
1x245
1x275
2x275
10x225

Incline Bench
5x185
6x205
3x225

Decline Bench
5x265
6x245
5x245

Barbell Flys
8x40
5x50
5x45

The 1RM Bench really took alot out of me so I ended it there. Normally I would do some Calf and Lower Back work. It was also a reminder that in competition, there is still two big lifts left to do![/quote]

Nice work!

[quote]Bagger wrote:
Thanks Soldog, mrodock and formfunction. I’m sure if we were in the gym you’d be embarrased by my fist pumping and yelling after the lift. Nothing more frightening than an out-of-control 50 year old dude making a fool of himself. Not sure if he is having a stroke, coronary, or just happy. Good thing the gym was empty.[/quote]

Congrats on the PR.
Just tell them you have tourettes syndrome, they will leave you alone.