T Nation

Iron Man-The Movie

Did I hear correctly?! On my way into the office, the local radio station’s movie critic mentioned that ROBERT DOWNEY JR. would be playing Tony Stark.

Please, somebody convince me that this will work.

[quote]rugbyhit wrote:
Did I hear correctly?! On my way into the office, the local radio station’s movie critic mentioned that ROBERT DOWNEY JR. would be playing Tony Stark.

[/quote]

JJon Favreau is directing it. I dont know if anybody has been cast yet.

[quote]rugbyhit wrote:

[/quote]

No convincing. If that’s true, I will doubt this will be decent until I see it. He is a good actor. I am not doubting that he can play the part, but he just doesn’t fit that image in my mind. Then again, a really good actor could make themselves fit the image.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
rugbyhit wrote:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0371746/[/quote]

The good news is Terrance Howard.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
No convincing. If that’s true, I will doubt this will be decent until I see it. He is a good actor. I am not doubting that he can play the part, but he just doesn’t fit that image in my mind. Then again, a really good actor could make themselves fit the image.
[/quote]

Yeah, I usually enjoy Downey Jr.'s work and I agree that he’s a good actor. But he’s usually good because he is playing an unusual character. Something that relies on abnormal behavior. Of course, that doesn’t mean he isn’t up to it if that rumor is true.

Afterall, it would appear Downey Jr. knows more than enough about being an addict, or better yet, a wealthy recovering addict with health problems.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
PGA200X wrote:
rugbyhit wrote:

The good news is Terrance Howard.
[/quote]

Favs is a good director. I have no doubt he will do a good job. The script on the other hand may be an issue. Dont worry about Favs. If Howard signs on we know he will give a good performance.

I agree. He’s a really good actor and could make himself very convincing as Stark. Especially the alcoholism aspect.

There’s only one man fit to take on the role of ironman…

Judge Reinhold

apparently Downey wanted the role pretty badly.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/29/film.ironman.reut/index.html

I think he could do a good job.

I think he’ll be perfect, especially if they get into some of the nitty-gritty of Tony Stark’s persona.

The brash, flamboyant public image vs. the troubled private man — I can’t think of anyone better than Downey to pull that off.

Ryan Reynolds is the only right person for the role…

RD Jr. is perfect for this role; I’m kinda pissed off that I never thought of him for it.

Tony Stark isn’t Clark Kent or Puny Parker or any of those guys. He’s an arrogant, self-centered, narcissistic, drunk wearing a Weapon of Mass Destruction. He has sabotaged every relationship he’s ever been in, has far more enemies (both “super” and normal) than friends, and–in the end–is just as cold as Michael Corleone when it comes to business.

He’s also (Reed Richards would disagree, but…) the smartest guy on Earth. And one of the richest.

Read the Demon in a Bottle trade, or any of The Ultimates collections ad tell me I’m not right.

Tony Stark is a bastard…but he’s [i]our[/]bastard.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
He’s an arrogant, self-centered, narcissistic, drunk wearing a Weapon of Mass Destruction.[/quote]

Damn…he IS perfect for this.

its true…RD jr. will be playing Tony Stark in the movie Iron Man. i just read it over at www.superherohype.com

not sure how this will work, but i’ll be there on opening night.

Pros

• He can grow a decent mustache.
  • He is not too young. He’s around 40.
  • He can act.
  • He will not have to act too hard when it comes to the addiction part.

Cons

• Will he stays clean during the shoot?
  • Not the biggest guy. But then again, he’s going to be wearing armor.

Terrence Howard was inspired casting. This is a bit riskier, but has great potential.

[quote]nolecat wrote:
There’s only one man fit to take on the role of ironman…

Judge Reinhold[/quote]

Aaaaaawwwww yeeeeaaaaahhhh…

[quote]harris447 wrote:
RD Jr. is perfect for this role; I’m kinda pissed off that I never thought of him for it.

Tony Stark isn’t Clark Kent or Puny Parker or any of those guys. He’s an arrogant, self-centered, narcissistic, drunk wearing a Weapon of Mass Destruction. He has sabotaged every relationship he’s ever been in, has far more enemies (both “super” and normal) than friends, and–in the end–is just as cold as Michael Corleone when it comes to business.

He’s also (Reed Richards would disagree, but…) the smartest guy on Earth. And one of the richest.

Read the Demon in a Bottle trade, or any of The Ultimates collections ad tell me I’m not right.

Tony Stark is a bastard…but he’s [i]our[/]bastard.[/quote]

Yeah, good argument.

[quote]sugarfree wrote:
Pros

• He can grow a decent mustache.
  • He is not too young. He’s around 40.
  • He can act.
  • He will not have to act too hard when it comes to the addiction part.

Cons

• Will he stays clean during the shoot?
  • Not the biggest guy. But then again, he’s going to be wearing armor.

Terrence Howard was inspired casting. This is a bit riskier, but has great potential. [/quote]

Now if they get him on a buff up program like they did for Reynolds in prep for “Blade”, we might have a film that will make Spidey look like a Shirley Temple comedy (Script being good of course, no dumbing down a’la “Hulk”)…I want to see the long haired, smoking/drinking playboy from hell “I dont care if my heart gives out” Stark (Yesss)…