Iron Maiden

[quote]Norwell Bob wrote:
I love 'em, but let’s face it… the first two albums (with Di’Anno) were the best. Real gritty songs. Slowly downhill from there… I guess I just like Di’Anno better… but, of course, drugs fucked that all up.

Saw them a few years ago with two pals of mine (who are WAY more into Maiden than I). They had their amps up SO effing loud, you couldn’t really make much out unless you had earplugs (and we were not close to the stage by a long shot).

Bruce Dickinson publicly (on mic) chastised the audience between songs because he could smell pot smoke and asked for security to “check out this area here” pointing to a section about 4 or 5 rows back from the stage. My buddies and I thought that was pretty lame, even though we don’t smoke weed.

I don’t remember them playing anything off the first two albums, and we were generally pretty disappointed in the selection of songs they did play.

Finally, it was over pretty damn quick. The tickets weren’t cheap, we felt a little ripped off.[/quote]

Erm, perhaps you shouldn’t have gone to see them if you were expecting to hear a bunch of songs they did 25 years ago with a different singer?

I like the DiAnno era albums a lot, Phantom Of The Opera and Killers being some of my favourites. But the idea that bands should not evolve and do new material over the years is ridiculous. Maiden are still a recording band and still do album tours.

I saw them the other year on the Dance Of Death tour and they played pretty much the whole of that album and stuck in a few number from their other albums as well. I liked the show, as I listened to the album a lot leading up to the tour.

Now if you see them at a festival, then you are more likely to hear a band play their “Greatest hits”, like they did at Donington a few years back.

Phantom of the Opera…

Any one in the UK remember that lucozade commercial?

[quote]Norwell Bob wrote:
I love 'em, but let’s face it… the first two albums (with Di’Anno) were the best. Real gritty songs. Slowly downhill from there… I guess I just like Di’Anno better… [/quote]

Sound like you were biased from way back…

I loved the first two albums and was actually lucky enough to see them once with D’ianno on the Killers tour (warming up for JP!).

[quote]Saw them a few years ago with two pals of mine (who are WAY more into Maiden than I). They had their amps up SO effing loud, you couldn’t really make much out unless you had earplugs (and we were not close to the stage by a long shot)…

I don’t remember them playing anything off the first two albums, and we were generally pretty disappointed in the selection of songs they did play.

Finally, it was over pretty damn quick. The tickets weren’t cheap, we felt a little ripped off.[/quote]

As I said, I’ve seen 'em 8 times and each concert was at least 2 hours long — usually 2-1/2 hours or so.

They regularly include Wrathchild and Iron Maiden in their playsets.

“A few years ago” would have been their reunion time and they played quite an extensive “Best of” set.

I don’t know about ticket prices up where you live, but when they came to The Big Onion, their tickets were cheapER than most.

Don’t be hatin’.

[quote]The Beast wrote:
I like the DiAnno era albums a lot, Phantom Of The Opera and Killers being some of my favourites.[/quote]

Phantom is still one my favorite tunes to play on bass.

My playing has fallen off in recent years, but maybe it’s time to supplement my grip and forearm work by playing a bunch of Steve Harris bass parts.

To Tame a World, Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner — that’s some high-rep work I could get into!

I’ve never them play, but have gone to some tribute shows. It’s amazing that some tribute singers refuse to sing certain tracks because the original vocals are just too intense!

Anyone remeber when Blaze Bailey took over lead voclas? I used to work with his girl friend at a bank (she was HOT!!!). All the stiff upper lips were trambling when the Maiden lads rolled up on motrocycles to take her to lunch. Ha Ha.
Bring your daughters to the Slauuuughter!!!

[quote]fos121 wrote:
Anyone remeber when Blaze Bailey took over lead vocals? I used to work with his girl friend at a bank (she was HOT!!!). All the stiff upper lips were trembling when the Maiden lads rolled up on motrocycles to take her to lunch. Ha Ha.
Bring your daughters to the Slauuuughter!!! [/quote]

I indeed remember that. I actually quite liked him as a front man, but he was never going to be able to fill Bruce’s shoes.

Futureal was a good song though.

[quote]simon-hecubus wrote:
PGJ wrote:
Wasn’t one of them on an Olympic fencing team or something?

Bruce was into fencing, though I never heard about the Olympic part. He always stays fit and practices some sort of eastern or yoga breathing exercises, which is why his voice is still great.

I’ve seen 'em 8 times between 1981 and last year and he hasn’t lost his vocal power.

Steve Harris was my hero when I picked up the bass. He is absolutely amazing for a guy that doesn’t read music.[/quote]
Steve Harris was the reason I picked up the bass too, and continues to be an inspiration. The continue to put out good stuff, even with their weaker albums stronger than 90% of today’s artists’ work. I still have 4 or 5 Maiden shirts in my arsenal, Eddie figures in my office, and I have a Maiden group in my 300 disc Sony!
Give 'em Ed until they’re dead!!

I used to be torn between Iron Maiden and Megadeth in deciding the top heavy metal band of all time. But I have to say, given the last few albums from both bands, Maiden gets better & better. A Matter of Life and Death is simply mesmerizing. No other band sings about death, war, life, spirituality / religion and has the melodies to inspire and reflect upon the world like Iron Maiden does.

up the irons!

Peace be with all!

Not wild about that last few albums, but have been a fan since the Paul D days. I don’t know if it is Janick’s influence or just the way things evolve, but I don’t care for the songwriting lately. Bruce’s singing has evolved too, but that is what happens when the human air raid siren ages. Still one of the best though. Irons rule ok.