Iron by Henry Rollins

[quote]dumbbellhead wrote:
JLu wrote:
Wait Henry Rollins is white? What’s all that crap about getting beat up for his skin colour then? Did he go to a school where he was the only white kid? I just assumed from the original essay that he was black or something based on lines like “getting beaten for the colour of my skin” and stuff like that.

Do you know who HR is?

Every time I read it it’s inspirational.[/quote]

Henry Rollins dude. He was the singer for Black Flag and the Rollins Band. Go look some of his shit up you will like it.

I love Rollins!

But let’s see if some of you right-wing fans of Rollins can handle this:
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/politics/2009/01/henry-rollins-got-gloat.html

LOL!!

Henry is not afraid to voice an opinion. Plus, he cracks me up. Glad to see he didn’t end up burned out but rather has become an elder statesman of sorts.

[quote]giterdone wrote:

Henry is not afraid to voice an opinion.

[/quote]

Or gesture one.

[quote]sevenmoist wrote:
JLu wrote:
Wait Henry Rollins is white? What’s all that crap about getting beat up for his skin colour then? Did he go to a school where he was the only white kid? I just assumed from the original essay that he was black or something based on lines like “getting beaten for the colour of my skin” and stuff like that.
he grew up in The D.C. area.

[/quote]

<—Canadian. What does “He grew up in the D.C. area” imply?

[quote]JLu wrote:
sevenmoist wrote:
JLu wrote:

<—Canadian. What does “He grew up in the D.C. area” imply?[/quote]

That it’s a miracle he’s

1. alive
  2. successful

[quote]Otep wrote:
JLu wrote:
sevenmoist wrote:
JLu wrote:

<—Canadian. What does “He grew up in the D.C. area” imply?

That it’s a miracle he’s

1. alive
  2. successful[/quote]

And not a racist. Blacks and Hispanics complain about racism in situations where they are slightly a minority(some places the majority) but when they are the majority like 75%, especially in a bad situation, like a poor neighborhood or jail, the racism and abuse of whites is intense.

Rollins also talked about being beat up and personally held responsible for every bad thing that ever happened to a black person from slavery to the assasination of MLK, from a very young age, because he grew up in DC. Ian MacKaye the frontman of Minor Threat and Fugazi also grew up in DC and was a childhood friend of Rollins. Minor Threat had a song called “Guilty of Being White”, which kind of detailed the situation.

Rollins best friend when he was living in LA in the late 80’s/early 90’s Joe Cole was killed right in front of Rollins during a robbery. The killers were black.

Really surprising he didn’t turn out to be racist.

generic post about reading said article a million times before and how it always gets better

You know, it’s a cool article and all, but if iron is such an important role in HR’s life, why the fuck does he hardly look like he lifts?

First time to read this…
i decided that i had to become a member of T-Nation after i read it

Angry Hank is a pretty good writer. He wrote a CD blurb for Wayne Kramer, guitar player from the MC5 that went…“Wayne Kramer plays guitar like he is trying to wreck the place” and I thought that was a great compliment. HR is just brutally honest, I kinda of think he is influenced by Kerouac in the “first thought is the best, most honest thought” way.

I’ve read some of his stuff, it’s pretty good, and I think his spoken word stuff is better then most of his music. I read an interview with him that turned me onto Charles Buchowski and Henry Miller…you might want to check out CB’s “run with the hunted” or Millers “rosy crucifixion” or “black spring” if you’re a reader.

^ Miller is pure.

Anyone read Solipsist?

[quote]JLu wrote:
<—Canadian. What does “He grew up in the D.C. area” imply?[/quote]

Dude, come on. I’m Canadian too, but it’s not hard to infer what he was getting at.

And really, you’ve never heard of him? At the very least, go watch Bad Boys 2.

I love Minor Threat, Black Flag.

One of my friends called both of them gay
Needless to say he is no longer indentifiable as a friend or a person

Calling them gay is a tad harsh, but I can’t fault someone for not liking them; if you aren’t into the whole angry punk scene, the music really doesn’t have much to offer.

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
I love Minor Threat, Black Flag.

One of my friends called both of them gay
[/quote]

Gay? WTF? Those American hardcore bands were more manly than anything else at that time. Throw in Bad Brains, the DKs, and Husker Du and you have a fucking thrashfest!. Nothing gay about that.

Good thing you dumped your “friends”.

lol

Edited to add: I just came home from a show in Philly… Bob Mould solo. Awesome!

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
Calling them gay is a tad harsh, but I can’t fault someone for not liking them; if you aren’t into the whole angry punk scene, the music really doesn’t have much to offer.[/quote]

Other than thought provoking messages, emotional relativity, human compassion (sometimes hatred, ha). Seriously, punk rock is some of the more meaningful music in the world, in a strictly human way. Its much better than the majority of music in meaning, as it is not self absorbed mindless psycho babble.

[quote]SSC wrote:
You know, it’s a cool article and all, but if iron is such an important role in HR’s life, why the fuck does he hardly look like he lifts?[/quote]

cuz he writes poetry.

and if you saw the video

hes a liar.

Sure, but the music itself, not the lyrics, is grating and simply unpleasant to listen to if you aren’t into punk.

[quote]SSC wrote:
You know, it’s a cool article and all, but if iron is such an important role in HR’s life, why the fuck does he hardly look like he lifts?[/quote]

I don’t know, maybe he isn’t as serious now, maybe you aren’t getting the full effect from his old pictures. Maybe he’s just getting old. If you saw him in person during his prime with The Rollins Band, you wouldn’t say he hardly looks like he lifts. I was impressed, especially for a guy who was constantly touring either music or spoken word, making films, running a small business, etc. and steroid free.