Irishman's Training & Nutrition

Monday 26th June

Gym Conditioning

Ok so I picked up the 12.5kg dumbbells and done a sorta hybrid push-up/burpee/standing press type action with them.

Did this burpee complex 5 times than did 2 chin-ups on rings.

I did that for 3 sets.

I dropped down to 10kg DB’s and done a further 2 sets.

I rested 30sec and done one more set. Finished with 4 ring chin-ups.

16kg kettlebell swings x 20
16kg kettlebell goblet squats x 20
Chin-ups x 2

Did this 3 times. Seeing black spots by this time. Time for some low intensity.

Rowing Machine 1000m in 4:47 minutes

I was getting stomach bile through the rowing. Not pleasant. After I stopped, my breathing returned to normal pretty quickly and all thoughts of dying went out of my head. So that’s a win!

That was it for the gym. Nice quick session that soaked my singlet and showed all those cardio bunnies what a real gym session looks like :wink:

1 Like

Irishman Nutrition Update!

As I mentioned, I am on a slight cut (that has thus far not worked so well) to meet the requirements for the Air Force and to give my legs more of a fighting chance in longer runs.

1st thing to go is white potatoes. I usually mash 1 large potato with roughly the same amount of sweet potato as a side at dinner. This has been replaced with a small carrot (still mashed with sweet potato albeit smaller amount).

At smoko I usually have 1 sandwich with meat (roast chicken/roast beef/silverside beef) with some vegetable salad (potato salad/tabouleh). A Muesli bar, a couple Coconut biscuits and a berry muffin. The muffins have been cut from smoko :cry:

I have replaced my mass gainer shake with a higher protein lean gainer powder. It’s actually super yum as I’m trying right now for the 1st time! I’ll have to put up my shake ingredients one day…

Oh and I stopped having pizza for breakfast awhile ago. Now it’s Muesli, Banana and full cream milk.

That’s about it for my cut. It’s nothing too crazy which is good coz I’m all about sustainability baby!

3 Likes

Wednesday 28th June

Gym Conditioning

Barbell Complex

SLDL x 10
Bent Over Rows x 10
Push Press x 10
Back Squat x 10
Good Mornings x 10

Done with 20kg, 30kg, 40kg, 35kg

Behind the back Deadlift
60kg x 10
80kg x 10
100kg x 5
110kg x 5
120kg x 4 - grip was gone, nearly dropped the bar
100kg x 10 - no lock out for 1st 7 reps

2x12 band pull aparts were done between every set for a total of 240. My right shoulder has been feeling wonky. I think it’s from the increased volume of vertical pressing.

That was it for this workout. Should have done abs. Should have done calves. Really not feeling like long gym sessions after these bog days at work. Meh.

Loving the hack squats. Doing it without locking out was so good for a quad pump! I’ve got to get some lifting straps. My mind can’t focus if I’m about to drop a barbell in a packed gym.

2 Likes

Saturday 1st July

Barbell Workout

Leg Curls
Lv 4,5,6 x enough to get Hamstring pump

Back Squat
20kg x 10
40kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 5
80kg x 5
85kg 3x5

Sumo Deadlift
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 5
112.5kg 3x5

Push Press
30kg x 7
40kg x 7
55kg 3x7 - got 6.5 reps on the last rep of last set. Not happy!

Zercher Rack Pulls (2nd bottom rung)
65kg 3x8

Workout went smoothly enough except for that push press.

I weighed myself today like every Saturday morning. My weight is being weird. I will continue on the same calories as I have been for another week but I may have to cut some more calories or have another training day through the week.

3 Saturdays ago - 76.6kg (swapped pizza for cereal for breakfast)
2 Saturdays ago - 76.8kg (dropped white potatoes and muffins)
Last Saturday - 77.6kg
Today - 77.1kg

Pretty sure the trend should be going down slightly due to decrease cals and increase gym conditioning. Dunno, I’ve never tried to cut weight in my life!

Have you started drinking more fluids or eating more salty food?

If anything, less of both.

I forgot my water bottle on Thursday going to work so I didn’t drink much through the day and Friday was cold so again I didn’t drink too much.

I’ve basically been eating the same foods just cutting out berry muffins at smoko and swapping a white potato for a carrot at dinner.

OK, that is weird. Anything different in the mirror?

About a month ago I noticed my very lower midsection was slightly more rolly than normal. This is what prompted me to look at the ADF guidelines and BMI ratings. In the 1st couple of weeks of cutting out pizza and ice-cream after dinner it went back to normal. These past 3 weeks have been no noticeable improvements.

I don’t think I have put on any muscle in the last month either. My leg size is the same and I haven’t strength trained frequently enough lately to get any gains.

The only thing I can think of is that I was higher over my maintenance than I thought and I am still just over instead of being in a deficit. My metabolism was prob the only thing keeping larger fat gains from happening.

Mobile interface playing up again. Sounds plausible to me, it’s easy to mis estimate intake if you aren’t tracking.

1 Like

I suggest you track your calories and macros for a couple of days (even one is enough if you eat the same stuff every day)

Have you changed the amount if protein or carbs you are having drastically? Are you facing more stress than before?

And most importantly:

How did the squats feel after this?

1 Like

Don’t you swear at me! Lol ‘track calories’ is a dirty phrase in my book :joy:

It kinda is the most logical thing to do now. I have all my calories and macro breakdowns of most of the foods I eat, so it won’t be difficult to add it up I guess…

No just dropped carbs from potato and muffins. No added stress either. I deal with real life stress quite well though (another reason why I am perfect for a combat role).

I was actually just thinking about this. I honestly don’t think my squats feel any different. I do light squats in my complex through the week and I also do light goblet squats and they feel the same as me squat Warm-ups on the heavy day… Maybe I’m just wierd…

I’ll still continue to do them though. Why not!

2 Likes

Only difficult thing will be looking in the mirror after you realize just what you are eating :smiley:

Interesting, water weight from added stress seemed like a plausible option.

Weird, every one I know that has tried this swears by it. Maybe we all just have bad knees.

2 Likes

Monday 3rd June

Random Crap

Timed my 2.4km run today. Got 11:06. Not bad but I was hoping to into the 10’s.

My shins are 99% good. Going to increase running again and hope that my shins have stopped being arseholes.

One running problem disappears and another arises. Chafing! My legs have gotten too big :frowning: this was the reason why I have been keeping squatting reps down so I keep hypertrophy to a minimum. Curse my non child bearing hips!

My flexibility has gone to shit! Sitting on the floor with legs spread straight out in front of me I can only spread them 90degrees! That’s absolutely appalling for an ex martial artist. Strength training really does tighten up everything if you’re not careful in stretching back out.

From tomorrow I will start tracking calories. God it hurts just typing that!

1 Like

Roses are red
Lemons are sour
Saturday’s are for the boys
Yeah the boys

1 Like

Haha don’t quit your day job mate :joy:

2 Likes

Tuesday 4th July

Gym Workout

2Min 500m rowing machine

Bodyweight Circuit 5 times

Chin-ups x 5
Dips x 5
Back Extensions x 10 - really slow

Lat pull-down 10reps x lots - good lat pump

Hanging Leg Raises 3x20
Ab roll-out 3x10
Medicine Ball Russian Twists 3x40

Went to the gym just to burn some calories. Talking about calories, I calculated my daily intakes:

Monday - 9848Kj (2353cal) 115g of protein

Tuesday - 14745Kj (3524cal) 197g of protein (training day)

Wednesday - 9072kj (2168cal) 96g of protein

Thursday - 13365Kj (3194cal) 182g of protein (training day)

So it looks a bit all over the place but the only thing that really changes is the meat that I have with dinner ever night. Sausages Monday. Salmon Tuesday. Hoki Fish Wednesday. Chicken parcel Thursday.

I obviously eat higher cal and protein meat on training days. My shake alone is 50g of protein and 3503kj (837cal) that I have after gym days.

I actually didn’t realise how much I have been putting away, especially on gym days. May need to revise my shake or something. It’s crazy because I have been hungry every day!

1 Like

Thursday 6th July

Gym Conditioning

Barbell Complex

SLDL x 10
Upright Row x 10
Push Press x 10
Back Squat x 10
Good Mornings x 10

Done with 20kg, 30kg, 40kg, 30kg

Behind the Back Deadlift
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kg x 5
130kg x 2

Standing Calf Raises
80kg 3x10 - really slow

Leg Press Calves
80kg 3x lots - different tempos to failure

Had a physical day at work so the complex wrecked me. The behind the back deads were a bit off. Felt my back rounding sometimes. Still went for the 130kg. Grip was the limiting factor. I think im going to use them more as a quad pump movement more than going for weight.

I’m buggered! Time for dinner and unwind time.

1 Like

Why are you eating such low amounts of protein?

I didn’t think it’s too bad. I get a gram per pound of bodyweight on training days and about 2/3 that on non training days.

I think a big part of it is that I don’t eat eggs or much protein around breakfast. So breakky I’m getting around 5g. Smoko 15g. Lunch 25-40. And the rest is coming post workout and dinner.

I could swap my normal muesli bar with a protein one and get a different snack other than Coconut biscuits. Perhaps start eating a higher protein cereal as well.

You could have oats with protein powder and milk instead of cereal.