Irishman's Training & Nutrition

Good idea, zerchers are such a big movement that they really run you to the ground easily

1 Like

RAAF Test

My new score My old score (RAAF entry standard)

Beep test - 10.11 10.4 (7.5)
Full ROM chin-up - 12 11 (n/a)
Flexed arm hang - ??? 24 seconds (30 seconds)
Push-ups - 47 41 (25)
Feet held set-ups - 51 46 (60)
2.4km run - 11:25 12:31 (12minutes)

I nearly died twice 2day. The first time was at the end of my 2.4km timed run and the next time was about level 9 on my Beep test. I don’t think I will do both running tests so close together again but I’m glad I set pb’s everywhere.

My Push-ups and Sit-ups didn’t increase by as much as I would have liked but I will increase frequency and introduce weighted versions of these to bump up the numbers.

Very happy to drop over a minute on my 2.4km run!

1 Like

I hate sit-ups for tests like that because it goes against my usual training methods. I do weighted sit-ups for ab hypertrophy but that doesn’t help with a test.

I drastically improved my sit-ups score by learning how to use my hip flexors more than my abs. I spent 22 weeks at the Highway Patrol training academy and always stayed around 55 reps on the 2 minute test. A couple years later I tested for a Special Response Team and wanted to make sure I wasn’t cutting it close so I trained the technique as much as anything. I hit 80 sit-ups in 2 minutes and pretty much kept moving til the time was up.

2 Likes

Oh ok, that is interesting!

Funnily enough my hip flexors tire out before my abs…

That’s pretty decent and about where I want to be! Thanks

I call it a change in my technique but it could also just be a change in mentality. I don’t want to use much hip flexor on my regular sit-ups/crunches because my focus is abs. When I did my tests during the academy I still just wanted to use my abs. That limited my performance. When I hit 80 in 2 minutes I used everything I had to do the sit-ups.

I think I had my hands behind my head and my elbows had to touch or go past my knees (don’t remember). I’m sure I used my lats to start some movement at the arm followed by a crunch but then I engaged my hip flexors as soon as possible to save my abs.

To train for the test I just did multiple sets of max reps in addition to some of my regular training.

For what it’s worth I do DB crunches with 100+ lbs for multiple sets of 10-15 reps. I anchor my feet too. I guess you can use that to see where you’re at compared to me in crunching strength (I won’t call it ab strength since it’s just one movement).

1 Like

Thanks @Frank_C when I get back to the gym I’ll put some weight on my Sit-ups and see where I’m at.

I’ve just taken on another maintenance job which is giving me another 16hours a week. Good for the wallet but I’m already exhausted after a bigger than average day. Was meant to go to the gym for conditioning today but had a nap instead.

Never clocked you had a log mate, looks like we’re pretty similar in terms of weight and strength. That 140kg deadlift is a goal of mine as well (2x bodyweight), but obviously we’ve both got other training priorities.

Respect for joining the RAAF. Looks like you fitness is pretty much there, keep up the good work. When I was a kid I thought sit ups would give me abs so I would literally do 200 everyday, while this may not be the healthiest approach a side effect was that I’ve always performed above average in sit up tests.

Good luck and hope your training carries on going well.

1 Like

Hey thanks mate! Yeah I’m pretty happy with my aerobic fitness, just need to keep running to make it easier and to get my shins and ankles more used to the impact.

Soooooo did it work? I never did direct ab work until a couple months ago. I thought it would have a bigger effect on my ab hypertrophy but it hasn’t done anything! Haha

1 Like

Did fuck all for aesthetics haha but at the time I was fat and not doing any other training so that could be why… I hardly ever train my abs directly apart from a few sets of sit ups in a circuit or boxing sessions. As I’ve lost body fat they’ve just started to come through, I like to act as though it’s all about performance but I think we all want that six pack. (I know I do haha)

1 Like

Wednesday 31st May

Gym Conditioning / Weak Areas

Barbell Complex

SLDL x 10
Upright Row x 10
Push Press x 10
Back Squat x 10
Good Mornings x 10

Did this complex with 20kg, 30kg, 40kg, 30kg, 20kg

Standing Calf Raises (superset Seated Calf Raises)
60kg 3x10 (40kg 3x20)
40kg x failure

Did all the standing raises super slowly with no less than a 3 second pause in the bottom position.

Decline Ab Crunches
10kg x lots
BW x lots to failure

Flexed Arm Hang Test - 33 seconds

The complex was fun. Decided against kettlebell work to do something a bit different for my conditioning. I really wish I knew how to do some Olympic Lifts to incorporate into the complexes. It’s definitely on the to do list to learn them.

I’m happy my flexed arm hang is over 30 seconds. Another tick off the list for the RAAF.

My abs are going to be so sore 2moro!!

And don’t go very heavy. You really have to contort to get down and under the bar.

1 Like

You don’t have to tell me twice! Haha I’m still very sceptical I will be able to get down that low :joy:

Thursday 1st June

Push-ups 2x29
Sit-ups 2x29
DB Rows 2x29

Saturday 3rd June

Barbell Workout

Back Squat
40kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 3
82.5kg 3x3

Sumo Deadlift
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg 3x5

Push Press
40kg x 8
50kg x 8
50kg x 8
50kg x 7

Zercher Rack Pulls (middle rung)
60kg 3x8

The Zerchers are getting tough! I will drop them down a rung (about 3inches) next week. Between a deadlift set I got down as if I wanted to pull a Zercher Deadlift… Yeah nah… That is not going to work!

The rest of the workout was tough but I’m glad I can still throw weight on most of my exercises even though I’m only doing heavy weights once a week.

Ive had to drop a couple hundred calories a day to maintain body weight. The lack of mass inducing days has really slowed my metabolism so I’m getting a bit soft around the edges. I’m not worried, I lose weight very (too) easily.

Trying to sneak it in there…

With enough mobility work it could be possible

Friday 9th June

Gym Conditioning / Weak Areas

Barbell Complex

SLDL x 10
Upright Row x 10
Push Press x 10
Back Squat x 10
Good Mornings x 10

Did this complex with 20kg, 30kg, 40kg, 30kg, 20kg

Seated Calf Raises (superset Toe Raises)
40kg 3x20 (8kg 3x20)
40kg x 30 (8kg x 30) - these sets were done super slow negatives

Standing Calf Raises
60kg 2x12 (BW 2x10)
40kg 2x20 (BW 2x10)

Bit of myofacial release via foam rolling on my calves. 1st time I have tried foam rolling, didn’t want my body getting used to that luxury :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was going to call it a day there, but I decided to jump on the leg extension machine for shits n gigs…

Lv10 x 10
Lv9 x 10
Lv8 x 10
Lv7 x 10
Lv6 x 10
Lv5 x 10
Lv4 x 10
Lv3 x 10
Lv2 x 10 - no rest between these sets. Just long enough to change the pin. I think lv4 was probably the toughest. Big mental challenge.

So I haven’t been doing any extra curricular physical activity (*) this past week. The beginning of the week was me intentionally giving my shins a break from running (slight shin splints) and later in the week my best mates mum passed away. It was tough for him obviously so I wanted to help him out.

I read that strengthening the muscle on the front of your shin can help with shin splints so hence the toe raises + I do a fair few Calf raises so gotta have that balance!

(*) I did a bro pump workout on Sunday. Lots of chest and abs.

1 Like

If you, at some point of your life, notice that you want to die I’d suggest trying the following complex

You DO NOT rack the bar at any point if not instructed so, the transitions are performed via push press and hope. Personally I don’t use a belt with these, it’s a great lower back workout as well

I would suggest starting with just the bar to get used to such high amount of reps in a single set

Here goes:

15 front squats
15 back squats
15 good mornings
15 back squats
15 front squats
rack the bar
25 kettlebell swings

Done

All squats (front and back) are done as deep as possible and there should be no bouncing from the bottom or dive-bombing the negative

If you want, you can add weight to the bar and do it all over again, and then add weight and do it again, and again, and again…

1 Like

My problem with that complex is that the front squat racked like an oly weightlifter is really brutal on my wrists. This is the reason why I do back squats on my complex even though I’d prefer it to be a front squat. I do front squats with crossed arms and that is way to awkward to get in position in a complex.

Have you tried wrist wraps?
(They would need to be quite loose when doing this to allow blood flow to the hands)

Edit: you could also attach lifting straps to the bar and hold onto them

That can be managed, but it’ll be quite awkward.
In this case you could rack the weight when transitioning from front squat to back squat and vice versa, just continue on as soon as possible. (I don’t like to rack it to avoid getting a break, as that tends to make you a distracted and you may even stop because of it)

1 Like

I could actually have the safety bars in and do the transition in the bottom position, this way I don’t have to walk the bar in and out several times + it makes it tougher :smile:

The KB Swings just sounds like torture at the end! Haha

1 Like

I have not. I’m very stubborn and try to do everything with just my body. No belt, no straps, no wraps, no chalk, just gritty determination :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like