29kg x 2
34kg x 2

Layer 3 - Cluster Reps
29kg 3x6

Layer 4 - Slow Eccentric
22.5kg 3x8

Layer 5 - Constant Tension
19kg x 2

Missed the 70kg SGHP by a country mile. The difference between 60 and 70kg is a fair bit for me! The rest of those felt really good though.

Got an awesome pump from curls.

I ran every day last week so I’m having the weekend off. Will start running and rucking with weighted bag this week.

1 Like

Congrats man!!! #hardworkdedication

1 Like

Try “over” warming up, work up to a slightly heavier single/double or triple than your working set weights and it should make it feel easier/ slightly lighter, allowing you to bang out the set better and perhaps more reps.

Cheers mate! I’ve definitely been dedicated to the cause but I feel the hard work has yet to begin :joy:

Well that’s kind of what I do with ramping up to a 2 rep max. I can’t really over warm up much more unless I do singles. Even than I’m only going to get maybe 5kg out of most of my lifts.

How about clap pushups?

Just 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps as explosive as humanly possible, I do them regularly and I’ve found them to be pretty good.

Also they take literally a minute to do

Clapping isn’t necessary but I’d do them in a hammer where you push fast enough to get your hands off the floor (and actually do so)

2 Likes

How comfortable/proficient do you feel with your muay Thai?

As someone who’s recently gotten into striking, I’d love to talk technique, training, or swap some bag or sparring footage if you have any for compliments or critiques.

1 Like

Lol don’t you just hate that, It’s only 10kg but it makes such a massive difference.

1 Like

I actually used to do explosive pushups before benching. I would send the smith machine bar at about hip height and do about 5 explosive pushups on that. To be honest though, I didn’t really see much of a difference. Never tried clap pushups except for when I was young and showy haha

1 Like

Well considering I haven’t been for 6 months and I only did it for about 4 months tops, I’m definitely not very proficient in it. In saying that, I always took note of form and asked plenty of questions to my instructor and his title defending son. I did pick it up rather quickly to the point where my instructor wanted me to fight but again I didn’t do it for very long.

I’ve been in and out of martial arts for years and have a decent understanding of striking techniques. I’d be happy to take a look and if I feel I can contribute I will, if not, I won’t bullshit you.

Muay Thai Clinch is usually a troublesome point for new people and I made sure to get as much info as possible on it, so if you have issues or questions about that I can try to help out.

Good to hear you are taking it up though. With your strength behind you, you will be a weapon. Just don’t try to muscle your way through everything though, it will only impede your own progress eventually.

1 Like

Such a difference! 60kg was nice and smooth, no real issue so I decided to skip 65kg. 70kg was lucky to make it past my bellybutton! Haha

1 Like

I feel that, for me atleast, anything over three would be too much. Did you let go of the bar? If you didn’t, I’d try them because when you don’t let go you are unconsciously slowing yourself down just so you don’t have to do such harsh change of direction at the top of the movement.

Now I wouldn’t do them on a smith if I was going to let go of the bar just because I’d probably fail to grab the bar on the way down and knock myself out.

But it is completely possible that clap pushups don’t work for you, if that’s the case you could try going for a bit of a pump before the max double if you have enough time. Think slower tempo pushups for a few sets of 8-12 or something like that. Some people feel more comfortable going for higher weights with a pump as they feel less vulnerable. Trying different stuff is (almost) never a bad thing.

Clap pushups are probably the best way of impressing people if we think about the effort to amount of amazement ratio as they are actually pretty easy but your everyday dude will think you’re some kind of world class calisthenics guy if you do them

We need a graph of the effort to amazement ratio so that we can know how to impress the most people with the least amount of effort possible :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I sure did. I didn’t clap though because:

Thanks for the tips mate. Since I’m going to the Army in 6weeks I’ve got to pause my mass phase and now focus on doing stuff that will make my training easier. I will come back to the Layer System though I think. I really didn’t give it a long enough go but what I did get out of it makes me want to go back to it.

This is the single best idea I have heard all day! And let me tell you, I have heard some ideas today :joy:

2 Likes

Sweet as, I beat my 2.4km pb of 10.41 this afternoon. I ran a 10.35 with a bit left in the tank. Should be able to get under 10 minutes before I leave for Duntroon in a month and 2 days.

I went for a ruck at 5am the other morning. Need to up the weight and keep doing that. Got slight rub on the back of my heel, so I need to toughen that up before I go away.

I’m reducing my gym days to a simple push, pull, legs with mostly compound movements. Now isn’t the time to build muscle or strength but I need the gym to keep me sane and make me feel strong. No real plan here, but when I can do exactly what I feel like for that day, I usually go a bit harder.

Also stopped bulking. Lots of running in my near future and my legs and lower joints will thank me if I’m 75kg and not 80kg. I’m down to 78.5kg now from a high of 79.8. I have no real goal here though, I’m just eating good food when I need it.

Slowly introducing sleep deprivation at times. I like sleep so it sucks. I’d prefer it to suck now than really suck later though.

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of someone deliberately training for sleep deprivation. Lol thats some dedication right there

2 Likes

Going with no caffeine as well? You may not be able to get it in the army if you don’t bring your own. Remember not to overdo the sleep deprivation now, because a strong and healthy you will do better in the army than the weakened and tired you that has had a bit more experience with not getting sleep in

Our options in the military were either no coffee or explosive diarrhea so it was an easy choice.

1 Like

I’ve never liked coffee and I gave up all energy drinks at the start of the year, so no caffeine for me is easy.

It’s more like I’m slowly going to bed later and waking up earlier. It’s not crazy either, still getting 6-7 hours every night. But when I enjoy my 8+ hours, 6 feels a bit rude!

I also re-sleep (bit like a reefed haha) on the weekend and get about 8.

It’s about time I’m dedicated to something!

3 Likes

I finally pulled 3 plates today. Tiny bit of back rounding but it went up alright. Probably had the strength for 5 more kg but I was happy with that. I also did 2-3 crisp Pullups between every set of the deadlifts… Hmm how many is that?

Bar - 2
60kg - 2
80kg - 2
100kg - 3
110kg - 3
120kg - 3
130kg - 3
140kg - 3
110kg x 3 - 3x3

So a total of 30 Pullups + a PR was pretty cool IMO. So no excuses @The_Myth haha

The back off sets were sumo as my lower back was telling me to settle down. I than did 5 sets of seal rows and some lat pull-down mostly to decompress and relieve the lower back. It feels fine now though but I can imagine I’ll have DOMS tomorrow.

Probably the coolest thing about this session was that I didn’t feel great before the gym. For the 1st time ever I got stronger and felt better the longer I was working out!

7 Likes

Good job on that PR

1 Like

Nice work man, now get after four wheels!

1 Like

In the 18 months I’m at the military college, I want to achieve 1 2 3 4 Press, Bench, squat, dead. I don’t think I’m asking too much for that. I’m so pumped to go to a place dedicated to training my body and mind to be a badass!

3 Likes