Irishman's Training & Nutrition

Of course. Between moving 10 000 + boxes a day at the Kmart warehouse, laying 500-1000 metres of turf a day and moving solid hardwood furniture on a weekly basis as a furniture maker, I’ve gotten pretty good at using safe lifting practises. Repetitive Strain Injury is (for the most part) a very avoidable injury IMO, and is caused by as much a laziness while lifting as much as lack of strength/posture/mobility. I like to think im very aware of how I move my body through space at any given time.

3 Likes

So do I, until I run into the doorframe at home

9 Likes

I would to if I had to turn sideways to get through them! Haha

I should use that as my excuse, sounds much better than having shitty spatial awareness

1 Like

I normally do this at work and of course I’ve just fucking painted the thing too

2 Likes

Oh just trying to be funny :slight_smile: When carrying all them bags around you could do it strongman style :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh my bad! Haha nah nothing crazy going on with these bags of grain, although if it’s close to a break I sometimes up the tempo a bit and get the blood flowing. I also try to mix up how I grab and lift them. The 1st 4 ton was very Bicep and front delt focus, the next 3.5ton was more shoulders and upper back and the last 4 or so ton I just shouldered most of the weight and let my structure and momentum to take the brunt.

My triceps are still buggered from the other day as a side note!

2 Likes

Today was my 1st session of my new program. I told ya I wanted to bro out so here it is:

Thanks @mortdk and @Frank_C for the CT suggestion. That program is so me and I can definitely see myself doing it at some point. Thats actually the reason I’m not doing it, because it’s similar to what I do generally. It does work for me those compound based 4 movements per session type programs, but I wanted to try something different.

Thanks @danteism for your fortitude training suggestion. I had a look at it, and I saw quite a few good reviews about it and I will keep it in mind for the future. You always have good shit to say mate!

This modified Westside Program is a Max Effort (ME) upper, ME Lower and Repetition Upper program, but I’m adding in a Rep Lower session as well to make it 4 days a week. It’s not a huge CNS drain so I’m able to do that (just watch me)!

Apart from the added day and swapping the abs for calves on ME Upper, I’m doing the program as is. I don’t feel bad butchering it a little coz it’s already been modified from the OG Westside Barbell.

4 Likes

Sunday 29th April

Max Effort Upper

Barbell Bench Press
20kg x 20
40kg x 10
50kg x 6
60kg x 6

Dumbbell Incline Bench (60 sec rest)
20kg 10, 10, 8, 7

Dumbbell Seal Rows (60 sec rest)
20kg 12, 12, 11, 10

Face Pulls 3x15

Standing Calf Raises
100kg 2x15
BW 2 x lots

Didn’t strain too much on the 1st session. Barbell Bench is easy once I’ve got the weight, but unracking is easily the most difficult part. Playing conservative to start there.

I think i may superset the DB pressing and rows since I’m using the same weight and the same angle on the bench. I’m trying this 60 sec rest for something different. I won’t be able to use as much weight but this is a hypertrophy phase so fuck the poundage!

Like I mentioned, I swapped abs for calves on this day because on my added Rep Lower day, I’m going to put my ab work there.

All in all, good session and let’s see some gains! Oh almost forgot I weighed in at 77.6kg which is the same as last week. Makes sense coz I didn’t eat as much on my deload!

8 Likes

Hey mate!

Great program choice!

I did a version of WS4SB for years while playing soccer. Its a great program and I got some decent results from it.

tweet

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. Cheers!

1 Like

Monday 30th April

Max Effort Lower

Front Squats
20kg x 10
40kg x 5
50kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 5

Split Squats (rear foot elevated 2" front rack position)
40kg 3x8 each leg

Romanian Deadlift
40kg x 6
50kg 2x8

Farmers Walk
37.5kg DB’s x 2
35kg DB’s x 1

Holy wow, I forgot how disgusting single leg work is! Makes me as out of breath as high rep squatting. On a positive, I’m right back at the weight I was doing last year for Lunges, but with my back leg a bit off the ground so more range of motion. It’s tough though!

Will increase weight on the Romanians next week. They felt good, I was just a but winded by that point though.

Will be happy when my grip catches up with the farmers walks, it’s getting embarrassing/ frustrating!

6 Likes

Bulgarian split squats sucks… period.
They are so hard in a good way though.

Strap up for carries.

I’m determined to keep them in for a decent duration. I hear all the time about how beneficial single leg work is, so show me the benefits! Haha

Nooooo!

I’m doing them mostly for grip work. I can’t stand the idea of having a weak grip. This time last year I was doing the same distance farmers carry with the 2 50kg DB’s. It was tough but doable. Nowadays I’m struggling with less than 40kg!

1 Like

Ahh then don’t strap :slight_smile:
Can one do them as a kind of rest pause set? walk set down settle for 15 seconds grab and walk doing that for a couple of times.

1 Like

In for your log Irish! Right at the start of Westside too. Good luck. Looks like an awesome program

1 Like

Have you thought of getting fat grips to get the grip strength up?

I’ve found they work quite well and pull-ups with them are magical for both grip and feeling your back work

2 Likes

I guess so :stuck_out_tongue: rest pause are generally done to exhaust the muscle fibres and promote growth and I’m not sure how much growth in my hands it will contribute to! Haha

Right on man, let’s hope it pays off!

It’s definitely food for thought. I’d have to order them online because I’m sure no place around here stocks them. Online shopping and me have our disagreements!

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them at a store, ordered mine online as well

1 Like

They used to sell them at aussie sups but i think they’ve sunk, haven’t seen them around recently

1 Like