Irishman's Training & Nutrition

I found when I ran I hit a wall around 5-6mins in and again at about 11 mins. One I got passed those it was easy to keep going. It may be worth doing a slow warm run of about 5 mins before you do the timed run. I found this helped me in the past with not hitting the wall as my body was already used to working hard. I hope that makes sense !!

1 Like

My 1st month are untimed runs. I just wanna get used to running again and just get the 2.7km done without stopping. At the end of the month I’ll time it again to see where I’m at. Next month I’ll run twice a week and perhaps time them more.

Before I go on my timed runs I probably will have a bit of a jog 1st but for now I just start off slowish and try to get into a rhythm in the run itself.

1 Like

Alan Thrall did a video on training for the US marine corp, it has some tips in there about training for the times run, you sound like You have a solid background in running but maybe worth a watch anyway.

2 Likes

Wednesday 10th May

Gym Conditioning

16kg kettlebell swings x 20
16kg kettlebell goblet squats x 20
Chin-ups x 6
Hanging Leg Raises x 20

3 circuits of this. No break between swings and squats. Minimal break between other exercises and sets.

I didn’t feel dead after this (yay for improvements) so I decided to work on my calves.

Seated Calf Raises (Superset Standing Raises)
40kg 3x20 (60kg 3x15)

Suitcase Carry
40kg 50 steps each side

Bike Lv5 70rpm for 3Min

Holy grip fatigue 2day! That’s very unusual. I’m glad I don’t get black spots in my eyes and ringing in my ears after conditioning anymore. Aerobic capacity must be getting better.

2 Likes

Thursday 11th May

Rucking

Uh does walking up and down a steep, broken bitumen driveway for 2house carrying gear and/or plant material count? Coz it’s gonna. There is no way I’m going for a ruck this arvo after that ordeal!

However I combined my 2 9kg ish dumbbells into 1 16kg ish (dunno how heavy the bar is) dumbbell. I’m now going to use it in my 3 a week BW workout… Which coincidentally, now makes it just a workout…

Sit-ups 2x24
Esky push-ups 1x24 (push-ups 1x24)
DB Rows 2x24 per arm
Esky Hip Thrust into 1sec Glute Bridge 2x24 - very slow, squeezing glutes and staying under tension all set.

Performed in a circuit. As I was putting the DB away I pushed out 10 single standing presses. Again really slow, working on core stability. Really nice exercise actually.

The high rep dumbbell rows are something I have not done much of since I’m at a gym and I knew I could do them at home. Now I’m using them it’s really effective. By about 14 reps in it got surprisingly tough!

1 Like

Kinda realised my log has ‘nutritian’ in it but I think I’ve post one or 2 kj amounts and not one food.

This is a snapshot of today. Pretty typical. I eat at my shopping centre pretty regularly.

Breakky
3cups cearal (oats, sultans, apple)
2cups full cream milk
Banana

Shmoko
2 roast chicken and potato salad sandwiches on wholemeal bread.
Muesli bar
Dunkaroos - 1st time I have ever seen them on sale!

Lunch
KFC ultimate burger meal

Arvo Tea (post workout)
1000cal chocolate shake

Dinner
250gram rib eye
1 large potato
1 portion sweet potato
Bag of vegetables
2 tbl spoon Butter (mash potatoes)

Dessert
Several scoops of full cream ice cream with choc protein shake sprinkled on top.

My dinners usually swap between rib eye Steak, 2Salmon steaks (skin on), 2 loin chops or hoki crumbed fish with mash and veges.

My breakfasts usually swap 1 week with cereal, one week 1 quarter pizza. Once in awhile I’ll have bacon and eggs or pancakes with syrup and ice cream.

I love bulking :smiley:

1 Like

Have you upped the KFC dosage as brady suggested?

Defo up frequency or go for family share bucket.

2 Likes

Considering I can have up to 3 KFC boxes a week, I’m pretty sure my frequency is probably fine! Haha

I do up the dosage on or around heavy barbell training days. Mmmm All Stars Box!

Please note that all KFC is bought with a water as a drink. I don’t condone the drinking of carbonated beverages unless they are heavily laced with whisky/bourbon :yum:

2 Likes

Sunday 14th May

Barbell Workout

Warm-up

Paused Back Squat
40kg x 5
60kg x 3
70kg x 3
80kg 3x3

Conventional Deadlift
60kg x 5
100kg x 3
110kg x 3
120kg x 2 - was meant to be 3x3. I failed to get it off the ground to begin with. Tried again and got 2.
110kg x 3

Seated OH Press
20kg x 8
30kg x 8
40kg 3x8

Pendlay Rows
50kg 3x8

Ring Pullups
BW 2x7

It’s been awhile since I done anything. A bit of a slack weekend. Also been 10 days since my last barbell workout. These are my excuses for such a poor deadlift showing. I really do need to recover better if I am only doing 1 heavy session a week.

I seem to be putting on a bit of fat. I believe this is due to less resistance training. I’m not rebuilding muscle throughout the entire week. Who knew that when I started running I would actually get fatter!

Not worried at all about that though. I get rid of weight quite easily.

Currently 76.2kg

1 Like

Monday 15th May

2.7km Run

Sit-ups 2x25
Push-ups 2x25
DB Rows 2x25 (each arm)
Esky Hip Thrust 2x25

Running is getting easier. No more fun though!

The circuit was done straight after the run. I’m trying to simulate being tired and still having to bust out a decent number of easy movements. I’m pretty happy with how my aerobic fitness is coming along.

I’m dropping my calories ever so slightly on non-active days.

1 Like

Tuesday 16th May

Gym Conditioning / Calves

BW Ring Chin-ups 3x7
16kg kettlebell goblet squats 3x20
16kg kettlebell swings 3x20
Hanging Leg Raises 3x20

Standing Calf Raises (superset Seated Calf Raises)
60kg 3x16 (40kg 3x20)
40kg x failure

Bike Lv5 80rpm for 3min

Nothing of note to report… Except a damn fine young lady doing various ab work and hip raises next to me while I was conditioning. Holy wow did she have a fantastic bum uh I mean glutes!

2 Likes

Thursday 18th May

Sit-ups 2x26
Push-ups 2x26
DB Rows 2x26 (each arm)
Esky Hip Thrust 2x26

Nothing to note about that.

I had an absolutely ‘off the wagon’ kind of weekend unfortunately. Friday night I was working out near my mates house so after work I went around there and enevitibly things got a bit crazy. A bottle of Jim Beam and a late night made working out Saturday a no go.

Tried desperately to be anti social on Saturday but heaps of people came over my place and twisted my arm into drinks at the pub to see a mate I hadn’t seen since Aussie Day. That turned into going to a free music gig. That turned into clubbing (I know wtf) and so that blew doing anything constructive on Sunday :sob:

Oh well today is finally the day!

Monday 22nd May

Barbell Workout

Paused Back Squats
40kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 3
80kg 3x3

Sumo Deadlift
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
90kg 3x5

Seated OH Press
20kg x 8
30kg x 8
40kg x 8
40kg x 6 - not enough rest time.
40kg x 7 - tried and failed on 8

Zercher Rack Pulls (middle rung)
40kg x 8
50kg 3x8

Decent full body workout. My squats were not on the groove and I find my sticking point is not in the hole anymore but about 40% up. Bit of sideways movement coming up and leant too far forward most reps. Damn.

Gave sumo deads a go coz conventional is giving me the shits. I want my Sumo up to my conventional numbers. It’s a tougher lift for me so it will hopefully do some good.

Zercher Rack Pulls! Holy shit why haven’t I done these before! They definitely fit into the realm of a full body exercise. My core was especially fried which is fantastic as it continues to be a weak point of mine.

I enjoyed mixing up the workout. Doing just one heavy session a week is really not doing my strength any good but I guess I saw that coming. Also partying and drinking doesn’t help… Oh well can’t have it all!

2 Likes

If you find yourself alone in the gym try zercher pulls from the floor

A word of warning: they are hard as hell

1 Like

Well I definitely am going to keep doing the zerchers for awhile. I’m thinking I will get up to a plate on the rack pulls (shouldn’t take long as it’s a new movement) than lower the rack position progressively closer to the floor.

I’m actually a bit sceptical that I will have the mobility to get it off the floor though :joy:

1 Like

You could probably hit a plate as soon as next time you do the movement, but you could also do 55kg next time and the plate after that (I wouldn’t bother with 2.5kg jumps)

Yeah, it requires quite a lot of flexibility, or else it’s going to look horrendous

Yeah I’ll go for 55kg next time. In no rush to get in awkward arse positions where breathing becomes a luxury!

Is this why you said to do it while I’m alone? Haha

1 Like

You guessed it!

1 Like

Tuesday 23 May

2.7km Run

Circuit
Sit-ups 2x27
Push-ups 2x27 - 1st set knuckles
DB Rows 2x27

I omitted my hip thrusts 2day. This actually made the circuit harder as they are an easier exercise and let me have a break.

I also tried a set of just regular Push-ups (as opposed to knuckle Push-ups) to see how much easier they are… Lots! I haven’t done normal Push-ups in years as I used to get sore wrists doing them. The longer range of motion using knuckles has really helped. I’ll continue to use knuckles unless otherwise specified.

I’m a big believer in listening to your body (a little hippie I know!) and just a few things I have mused about today…

My breathing while running changes. The 1st kilometre I breath in through my nose and out through my mouth. I have heard this is the way to do it but once I fatigue somewhat, I start to breath in through my mouth. I actually find this a lot easier.

I am really feeling the Zerchers from yesterday! This is awesome as I am feeling them in the middle of my back. I have never had doms here. It’s been either upper back or lower back. This can only be a good thing!

Less good news is the doms from squats have come back. I started to squat 3 times a week a few months ago and this relieved my doms considerably. Now I have gone back to just once a week, my quads are quiet tender. Not as severe as as they once were but still not great.

Ok enough rambling :slight_smile:

1 Like

Friday 26th May

Push-ups 2x28
Sit-ups 2x28
DB Rows 2x28 each arm

Saturday 27th May

Barbell Workout

Back Squats (paused at parallel on concentric)
40kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 3
70kg x 3
80kg 3x3

Rack Pulls (2nd rung up)
100kg x 2
140kg x 2 (double overhand)
160kg x 2 (mixed grip)

Sumo Deadlift
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
95kg 3x5

Zercher Rack Pulls (middle rung)
55kg 3x8

Push Press
50kg 3x6

Good workout. I think I’ll keep the Zerchers at the end of my session as it really winds me and makes the pressing exercises a lot more challenging.

Tomorrow (Sunday) I will do my RAAF Test again including Beep test, 2.4km timed run and max out on my bodyweight movements.

2 Likes