Irishman's Training & Nutrition

Great session right there!

Sick progress on the 20’s over the last several sessions. You just going to try to keep building on your 20 rep breathing squat? Such a great way to add some crazy strength & leg mass.

2 Likes

Thursday 5th April

Simple But Brutal Session 11

BB Bench Press 3x8
Back Squat 85kg x 2
20rep squats 70kg
Seal Rows 3x12
Standing EZ Bar Curls 2x12
Seated Hammer Curls 1x24

Band Pull-aparts throughout

I went to the gym today instead if yesterday due to me having the day off today. Next session will be Saturday.

The over warm ups for the back squats worked really well today. I feel the doubles worked better than triples and it made the 70kg feel really good. I’m surprised I haven’t had to knock the weight down and build up again yet but I’m going to ride this wave out.

There was a little hottie doing squats next to me when I was doing curls so I thought I should do another set of slow ones just for her benefit :joy:

On a personal note, I’m quitting my landscape job due to lack of work and I’m applying for other jobs. I’ll keep ya posted.

6 Likes

How do you find this program?

I’m looking for a change and thinking of this. Is there anyway of alternating front squats into the program based on your experience?

tweet

Holy shit, you’re still alive man?

1 Like

Sorry for the thread hijack, buy yes, uncle Bird is still alive.

New training log will be up in the next few days.

tweet

3 Likes

I’m enjoying the simplicity and the short, relatively intense workouts. I couldn’t run it more than 6 weeks however as it leaves out quite a few muscle groups and movements. Notably for me is calves, medial delts and deadlifts.

I think doing 20reps on the front squat would get difficult very quickly and you would become limited by your ability to hold the weight up. Due to there not being a huge amount of volume though, you could chuck a 2x10 reps of front squats on after the 20 repper.

No need for the apologies mate, can talk all the shit you wanna in here! It’s good to see you around again.

2 Likes

I was thinking of adding in some light RDLs and maybe some rear delt work at the end of one of the days.

Thanks for the tips.

tweet

The dips and chins day is a lot harder IMO than the seal rows and curls. Could do some RDLs on the curls day.

EDIT: could also superset the seal rows with rear delt flys.

2 Likes

Saturday 7th April

Simple But Brutal Session 12

DB Incline Bench Press 350 method
Back Squat 1x90kg
20rep squats 72.5kg
Chin-ups 7,7,7,6,6,6,3
Dips 10,10,10,10

20rep squats absolutely smoked me. Rep 6 I was struggling and by rep 13 I didn’t think I could make it. 17-20 were horrendous and form broke down (tipping forward). I think my lower back was the weak link.

I have 6 more sessions of this program so I’m going to go back to 65kg next session and work my way up again. If all goes well I’ll put an extra session on the end where I will hit 80kg x 20.

The chins and dips were also difficult today. Dropped a few reps off but overall I’m pretty happy with my gym visit today.

I must have missed this somehow sorry mate. I’m running this program for 6weeks (+ maybe 1 more session) than changing it up to another hypertrophy program. I do enjoy the 20 reppers and I have no doubt I will come back to them at some point though.

6 Likes

Congrats on the 20 reps. They are brutal the closer you get to max. Much respect to you sir. I’m doing a 6 week program of 25 rep squats and it was much like you described here. It’s a mental game to finish…

1 Like

How are you setting up with the squats?

tweet

@Irishman92 really good work bro! You were away from the weights for a while and have bounced back real quick.

1 Like

What do you mean?

Thanks Duke. I don’t think I lost much strength or mass doing Muay Thai. I think i lost most of it during the 2-3 months after Xmas where I didn’t train fighting as much and was focusing mostly on long distance running and calisthenics.

A big reason I did the 20rep program is because I knew it would force my body to get back to standard quickly. I’ll be interested to see how my deadlift goes after this program.

2 Likes

Do you miss Muay Thai? and was running and calisthnetics for the army? :frowning_with_open_mouth:

Btw good thinking with the 20 rep squats program and getting accustomed to training again.

2 Likes

Yeah for sure mate. I love martial arts and I will get back to it in one form or another some day.

Sure was. I’m still going for runs on the odd occasion yo keep the fitness up. I’ll hopefully hear back from them next month.

Cheers buddy. Gotta force that adaption. The body won’t just change for the better on its own.

2 Likes

haha I’d really prefer if it did.
hows the 20 reps squats treating you?

20 rep squats is treating everybody bad.

1 Like

Monday 9th April

Simple But Brutal Session 13

Bench Press 3x8
Back Squat 2x90kg
20rep squats 65kg
Seal Rows 3x14
Curls 1x20

Struggled getting up for this session. But once I got there… Nope still a struggle. I thought the squats would feel piss easy now I lowered the weight but I was wrong.

Um can’t really remember the rest of it since it was yesterday.

Also went for a job interview yesterday. Also had my 1st day at my new job 2day. Lots of overtime. Actually a bit worried that I won’t be able to finish this program as it means a 4:30am wakeup with a 10hr shift. I know, bit weak, but I’m buggered!

Dunno I’ll figure something out.

4 Likes

It’s.
a.
MIND.
SET.

2 Likes

Fuck I forgot to reply to @painter27! Yeah they are ok. I have good days where I feel I have dropped the weight and other days I wishing it was over by rep 8. Haha

@mortdk I don’t think anyone does them for fun!

@danteism I know man, moment of weakness. I’ll be at the gym bright and early 2moro. Bank account Irish and mass gainz Irish can both be happy. No need for 1 to suffer. Just poor sleepy Irish :joy:

3 Likes