2min Circuit

• 20kg Plate Crunches x 50 + 20kg Plate Presses
  • Pad Sparring with Coach
  • Leg Kicks with Coaches son

2min Circuit

• 10kg Russian Twists x 100
  • Leg Kicks with Coaches son

Clinch Practice with 3 of the boys. Nothing crazy happened.

Had a good talk with the coaches son about my leg kicks and my rib kicks and the difference between them. It was good because I like to know the specific biomechanics of my hits but the coach never really gives much more than cues.

Oh and I also have to be on my toes a fuck load more than I have been. It’s good to know but it’s also something else to think about when I am sparring. It will eventually help with my explosiveness and speed.

Good session, peace owt!

6 Likes

Friday 10th November

Muay Thai Training

3km Warm-up Run

Free Heavy Bag

2min Circuit

• Leg Kicks on Pads
  • 10kg Plate Crunches x 50 + 20kg Plate Presses x 20
  • Leg Kicks on Pads

2min Circuit

• Leg Kicks on Pads
  • 10kg Russian Twists x 50 + 20kg Plate Presses x 20
  • Leg Kicks on Pads

Free Heavy Bag

Some Light Clinch Practice

That was about it! Extra sore 2night after two days in a row of training. So much to work on. I always pick up new skills rather quickly but than struggle to get to the ‘next level’. Just got to stick with it and get those cues through my thick, exhausted skull.

I’m going to check out a local park this weekend and see what kind of calisthenics work I can do there. Want to incorporate more body strength and explosive training before work in the morning.

4 Likes

Monday 13th November

Calisthenics Training

1km Warm-up Run

Warm-up

• Incline Push-ups x 20
  • Band Dislocates x 20
  • Band Pull-aparts x 20

BW Strength Circuit x 3

• Parallel Push-ups x 12
  • Chin-ups x 8
  • Dips x 8
  • Fatman Chin-ups x 12
  • Band assisted Pistol Squats x 8 (each leg)

Explosive Movement

• 12" Box Jumps x 8
  • 24" Depth Jumps x 8

BW Holds

• Free Handstands
  • Handstand Hold to wall 2x10 seconds
  • Hanging L Sit 2x5 seconds

1km Walk home

Found the perfect park to do my calisthenics workout! A good distance from home for a warm up run and it has all the bars and walls and platforms that I need to do everything I want!

My first handstand to the wall was a major fail :joy: slid down and cracked my head on the concrete. The rest of my handstands were done on the grass.

I’m hoping that I will be able to do handstand pushups, unassisted pistol squats and a human flag within the next few months!

Waking up at 4:30am was a bit rude, but it will hopefully get easier!

2 Likes

It gets easier. It takes around six weeks if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

Parks that have those good calisthenic areas are pretty fun. I have one ~2 miles from me, used to do most of my calisthenics stuff there. On occasion some really dedicated calisthenics people show up and just do the craziest stuff, so impressive in person.

Pistol seems like the easiest of the 3 you mentioned. I’ve never even tried a progression to a human flag, seems nuts to me. The two movements I really wanted were planche pushups on dip bars & planche pullups, was getting close. Hope to resume in January.

You ever do rings? I got some rings, they are pretty fun and intense.

peace!

2 Likes

Pistol and the handstand pushups are something I really want to achieve as they are both taxing for the whole body and can be done with absolutely no equipment. The human flag will definitely be the toughest to achieve and I’m not going to give it any priority so I’ll see how close that gets me!

No I don’t but it is something I have considered for awhile now. At the moment I am very challenged by the routine I already have so I still have room to grow. My next purchase is a lighter band for lateral delt work and to make my assisted pistols harder.

2 Likes

Tuesday 14th November

Muay Thai Training

3km Warm-up Run

Free Heavy Bag

Structured Heavy Bag

2min Circuit

• Free Heavy Bag
  • 10kg Jackknifes x 50 + 20kg Plate Presses x 20
  • Battle Ropes
  • Pad Kicks with Coaches son

2min Circuit

• Skipping Knees
  • 10kg Plate Presses x 50
  • Pad Kicks with Coaches son

My knees have been a constant weakness. My form has been off and it’s getting frustrating for me. My coach went through them a bit with me than I did some shadow knees with the coaches son. He is a good young bloke, really knows the sport and has good communication. I think i made some progress.

Did a few leg kicks on the pads. Getting pretty strong at these if I may say so myself. One day people won’t want to hold the pads for me cause I’ll drill them through it… One day :wink:

That was pretty much it. Done a few other random things and helped my coach with exhausting our fighter who makes his debut this weekend.

Good to feel DOMS from my calisthenics the other morning. I love having a sore back and chest. Feeling swole :sunglasses:

1 Like
4 Likes

Well fuck I’ve got a ways to go! I think Kirill has a bigger squat than me so that probably helps his leg drive… Also he has a couple more kilos on me…

2 Likes

Thursday 16th November

Muay Thai Training

3km Warm-up Run

Free Heavy Bag

Structured Heavy Bag (intense)

2min Circuit

• 10kg Jackknifes x 50 + 20kg Plate Presses x 50
  • Battle Ropes
  • Leg Kicks on Pads
  • Leg Kicks on Pads
  • 1 Push-up 1 Pull-up
  • 5 Push-ups + 5kg Curls x 5
  • 10kg Jackknifes x 50 + 20kg Plate Presses x 30

Clinch Training. Had a good session with a bloke my size and 10kg heavier than me. He dumped me once which was really cool coz he hasn’t been able to do that before. I than had to face a 6’6" bloke who is a bouncer and really not easy to grapple. I spent all my energy but I managed to dump him on the mats once and I almost got him again except saved by the ropes.

Practised some more of my knees.

That was the end of that. Shit I’m spent! Going fishing this weekend. Woopwoop!

6 Likes

Thursday 30th December

Muay Thai Training

Same sort of stuff as usual. We got to play with the empty barbell and do some complex work with it so that was nostalgic!

I have been going to Muay Thai just not been logging as much.

I haven’t been back to the park for calisthenics due to a number of reasons, namely weather, work and muscle impact injuries. I’m not too worried but it would be nice to be able to get back to my handstands and pistols.

Aaaand that’s all I really have to say. Peace owt!

4 Likes

2 weeks no training, what is up with that.

I have been training, just not logging it all. I kept a log so I could check what weights I did the weeks prior, but now because I do Muay Thai and I get told what we are doing I no longer need to check on my previous workouts.

When I pull my finger out and start my calisthenics routine up, I will start logging more consistently again.

2 Likes

But we is missing you.

Ah I’m still around! You can usually find trading dirty deeds at the confessionals, hitting up the experience of our combat vets, asking for more saucy leg pics in the rate my bod or in the dirty depths of our fellow lifters logs offering motivational charged statements or drip feeding tid bits of juicy tips and trade secrets :wink:

6 Likes

Tuesday 5th December

Muay Thai Training

Ok todays training is worth writing about. Only 2 guys showed up (+ coach).

We have Skyscraper - a 6’6 bouncer whom has been training for about 8 months.

And Ring-in - a bloke about my size but with a year experience (as opposed to my 4-5 months). Hasn’t trained at our gym in ages so is a bit rusty.

Warmed up on the rowing machine and a bit of bag work, than leg pads on and up to the ring for some sparring.

Me vs Skyscraper

Reach is my biggest challenge in this fight and it shows. My leg kicks were continuously finding target by as soon as I went in for any punch combos, I would get stung in the face. Bleeding out the nose within minutes. Got owned really but sort of finding my rhythm.

Me vs Ring-in

Much easier to get some punches in. He kept catching my rib kicks but that left his face open for attack. We did this many times with him trying and failing to throw me until the end he got me on the canvas. Closer fight. Still bleeding. Left leg starting to feel shit.

Me vs Skyscraper

A shit show. His counter punches were annihilating me. I was getting frustrated at my lack of being able to get through my opponent. Breathing was starting to suck and I got a stitch. Kept pushing forward but his footwork and jabs just fucked me.

After that the coach padded up and sparred Skyscraper while I clinched Ring-in. Skyscraper died and we didn’t Clinch very hard. Clinched with Skyscraper while coach sparred Ring-in. Same story.

Me vs Coach

Well fuck. What could I do? I didn’t go hard and just focused on technique, coach didn’t get out of 1st (or reverse) gear. Still copped 3 leg kicks, the last made me call it a night. For a big bloke with a gut, my coach can head kick like a legend.

End of session. Coach rubbed down my left leg with Thai Oil. Hopefully that will help.

I am currently sitting at my bar drinking Makers Mark Bourbon. My leg is fucked and I’m not sure what I will do 2moro at work. Drinking to dull the pain and hopefully get some sleep 2night. Got raped. Very humbling to see just how shit a fighter I am. Oh well practice and perfect and all that stuff…

6 Likes

Fuck! Just like all you blokes that want to pull 900lbs tomorrow, I would love to wake up and be a pro level fighter. So much time and effort and pain associated with our goals.

But…

…if it was easy, everyone would do it.

3 Likes

I’ll settle for some time in the next month mate
:wink:

1 Like

Well with an attitude like that…!

3 Likes

Cmon Conor mcgregor, rome wasnt built in a day😉

You’ve already come along way and i sure as hell would die in one second lol

1 Like