Irishman's Training & Nutrition

Awesome!

Good luck with it, I reckon you’ll do good

1 Like

If I were to chime I’d say boxing to compliment BJJ only because in MT your legs and shins are going to get jacked up anyway, and being in lock down or trying to shoot singles and doubles is no fun with corked thighs. If you want to have an amatuer fight then MT makes more sense.
Just imo

3 Likes

Friday 22nd September

Mini Leg Day

Rowing Machine
500m Lv 10

Leg Press (quad focus)
40kg x 20
60kg x 20
80kg x 20

Leg Press (Hamstring focus)
100kg 3x10

Smith Machine Split Squats
45kg x 8 (each leg)
40kg 2x8

Leg Press (neutral focus)
80kg x 12 - slow eccentric, paused reps

Did this at the Muay Thai gym. Squats and my rib doesn’t agree but thankfully the leg press was comfortable to do.

Mad glute and quad doms today! Wow I nearly forgot what it feels like to cringe when going for a shit. Lol

I talked to my coach, I am going in next Tuesday and have an easy session. Go for a run with the boys and do a bit of bag work. Hopefully if I ease myself back into training, it will help with recovery and also help me stay consistent with eating right.

2 Likes

Whaaaa? Lol

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that is the definition of a dag… I could be wrong though haha

1 Like

Nope, that’s a dag. It’s an Australianism.

4 Likes

Tuesday 26th September

Muay Thai Training

4km Run

Free Heavy Bag

Structured Heavy Bag

2min Circuit

• Tyre Flips
  • Pad Sparring with Coach
  • Leg Kicks on Pad x 2
  • 9kg DB Bench Press x 30 + 5kg DB Fliers x 30

2min Circuit

• 9kg DB Curls x 50 (each arm)
  • Jumping Stance Switches on Tyre
  • Leg Kicks on Pads x 2

Alternating Leg Kicks on Pad with partner for about 20minutes. Dripping in sweat.

So happy to be back moving around! My ribs didn’t like hard left kicks, but they didn’t get too sore through any of the session.

Started the session with a longer than normal run because 4 of the guys are fighting in the next couple months and need the extra conditioning. The new route is also a bit steeper. I ran it pretty well and didn’t have a hint of shin splints.

Feeling really good at the moment, no hobbling around. Let’s hope I wake up 2moro just as nimble and chipper :smile:

3 Likes

Damn dude, nice work! 4km run is impressive, almost makes me want to start running a bit…ALMOST.

Thanks mate!

I’m not going to lie, the first month or so of running sucked for me. Than I started to occasionally enjoy a run, especially if it was at a slower pace. Than I started Muay Thai and got seriously sore lower legs which took all the fun out of running. But today I really felt good again, and got the runners high thing as well.

Like everything I guess, once you get to a certain level, difficult things start to get easier which than makes you feel good and accomplished. At least for me… Lol

3 Likes

Thursday 28th September

Muay Thai Training (brutal)

4km Run (fast pace)

Free Heavy Bag

Structured Heavy Bag (brutal)

2min Circuit

• Laying leg raises x 50 + 20kg Plate Presses x 20
  • Tyre Flips
  • 12kg Double DB Curls x 10 + Push-ups x 10

2min Circuit

• Laying Leg Raises x 100
  • Jumping Stance Switches on Tyre with 5kg DB’s
  • Pad Sparring with Coach (brutal)
  • 12kg DB Upright Rows x 10 + Push-ups x 10

Tyre Flips til Failure

100 Push-ups

Fuckin Brutal. The boys think the coach must of had a bad day coz holy shit did he feed it to us 2night.

Funny/Scary Story: I was pad sparring with the coach, he kept calling out punching combos and was getting shitty because I was too slow at transitioning between the combos. After a long run of them he called ‘1’ which means a single hard right cross. I accidentally did a left straight and because of the way he holds the pad, it hit him in the face.

I saw the whites of his eyes as he swung 2 or 3 hits at my head! Lol

I’m a very calm, reassured type person even in the face of danger but there is seriously nothing I could do if this bloke decided to put me in hospital. It’s those moments I really do appreciate the hard work I put in.

I really liked tonights session but if it was that intense every night, mine (and most other people’s) body would just fall apart.

7 Likes

Tuesday 3rd October

Muay Thai Training

Stationary Bike - 15min

Free Heavy Bag

Structured Heavy Bag

2min Circuit

• 10kg Incline Crunches
  • Rowing Machine Lv10
  • 20kg DB Bench Press 3x10 + Chin-ups 3x10

2min Circuit

• 10kg Incline Russian Twists
  • 1 Push-up + 1 Pull-up
  • Foot Elevated Push-ups x 50 + Curls x 25

Leg Kicks on Pad with Partner - I’m getting more powerful with these. My right leg kick can move people around the ring.

Solid training night. It was raining so we were all on treadmills. I hate treadmills so I jumped on the bike. My lower legs thanked me.

The overall training intensity is pretty high at the moment. It’s very cool to be in a gym with 3 people prepping to fight, you can see the fire in their eyes in every exercise and it really does spread the motivation.

6 Likes

Thursday 5th October

Muay Thai Training

3km Warm-up Run

Free Heavy Bag

Structured Heavy Bag

2min Circuit

• 10kg Plate Crunches x 50 + 20kg Plate Presses x 20
  • Tyre Stance Switches with 5kg DB’s
  • 40kg Bench Press 2x10
  • Heavy Bag Work

2min Circuit

• 10kg Russian Twists x 100
  • Tyre Flips
  • Foot Elevated Push-ups 2x10 + Sit-ups x 10
  • Heavy Bag Work

Heavy Bag Work focusing on rib kicks, leg kicks and knees.

My Coaches son came back from Perth today. He went over there to train at a larger gym that has higher level sparring partners. He is doing his 1st title defence at the end of this month and is deep into his prep for it. After training he spoke for about 20min about all the different things he learnt and also went through things to work on for the fight. Pretty cool to listen in on.

Otherwise that, another really good session. I need to work on throwing my knees from a bigger distance and to keep my right hand high when throwing punch combo’s.

Career Update to come soon.

5 Likes

Career Update

Just a recap on my preferences to get into the Army.

1. Army Officer
  2. Recovery Mechanic
  3. Quartermaster (QM)

Today I went for additional testing for the Recovery Mechanic position. It was a 20min written test on basic mechanical functions. Pretty basic and common knowledge for practical minded people.

Aced it! Woopwoop!

I would actually really like to be a Recovery Mechanic. 4x4 driving, snigging tanks out of mud, learning towing percentages etc…

I will get a call in the next week or so for the next stage of my application process. I’m really hoping to be in boot camp by Xmas so I’m being a bit pushy.

So all in all I had a really good day, didn’t even get a ticket for parking in a 1hour Park for over 2 hours. Hopefully all my bullshit luck of the flu and dog bite and rib sprain and losing my Air Force aspirations has finally concluded :smile:

7 Likes

Congrats man, sounds like a pretty sweet job! Good luck!

1 Like

Congratulations mate.
Sounds like a pretty awesome job, good luck

1 Like

You beauty!

1 Like

Yer nice work with the tests and good luck with the job Irish

3 Likes

Tuesday 10th October

Muay Thai Training

4.5km Warm-up Run

Free Heavy Bag

Structured Heavy Bag

Alternating Leg Kicks with Partner (without pads)

Clinch Practice (3 different partners)

Continuous Ab Giant Set (10 reps each, no rest)

• Crunches
  • Laying Leg Raises
  • Laying Leg Kicks
  • Laying Leg Circles
  • Side Crunches x 2
  • Full Sit-ups
  • Russian Twists
  • Crunches

2min Circuit

• 20kg Plate Leg Raises x 50
  • Battle Ropes
  • Tyre Flips with Partner
  • Tyre Flips with Partner
  • Chin-ups x 5 + Push-ups x 5
  • Hanging Leg Raises
  • 10kg DB Press
  • Heavy Bag Punch Focus
  • Heavy Bag Kick Focus

Heavy Bag Shin Conditioning

Tonight we had a big class (a person on every circuit station), and holy hell it’s getting intense! Biggest run so far and the coach is starting to really hammer body conditioning. Leg kicks without pads to condition the thighs and the fighting boys were taking a lot of hits to the core.

Not going to lie, I’m pretty sore. Sitting here with 3 ice packs. Still loving it, but at this rate I can really only go twice a week. Big day at work tomorrow so I’m off to bed!

Oh before I forget, I fried my salmon skin 1st tonight and it worked out better. My bad @MarkKO :smile:

6 Likes

I forgive you

1 Like