Irishman's Training & Nutrition

Lol no it was a reference to a brad pit in snatch, saying do you like dogs…it was lost in translation.

1 Like

Talking to aussies problems lol…

2 Likes

Yer but is was an Englishman, in Australia talking to an Irishman. We needed two interpreters and a phrase book !!

1 Like

Wow I really butchered that than :sweat_smile: jeez I even started talking about sheep shit…

…and I only get paid in rainbows and gold!!

1 Like

Sunday 17th September

Career Update

Ok, so this has probably been the toughest pill to swallow in the past few weeks of chaos.

The day my hand got bitten I had gone to my local Defence Force Recruitment facility to have a face to face chat about my options. I understood at this point that my preferred job of ‘Air Force - Air Defence Guard’ was most likely full up and they arnt recruiting people for that roll anymore.

This was confirmed unfortunately.

I than went through what jobs are recruiting with the nice navy officer. Apparently all but one Air Force job is full. It’s Communications Technician and doesn’t interest me at all. The only 2 on the sheet I was given that interest me are both for the Army. Vehicle Mechanic and Electrician.

I’m very much leaning towards becoming a Vehicle Mechanic for the Army.

A few positives of this position is that all Army jobs are 1st and foremost an infantry role. So that means decent combat training and ongoing skills being honed even while I do my apprentiship. Another positive is that I like mechanical work. I have a 1946 Chevrolet Ute that needs restoring so this job will help my gain knowledge for that.

The negatives is that it’s Army over Air Force (boohoo I don’t even have a good reason why this is a negative) and the role I am going for isn’t purely combat focused. The Air Defence Guards get superior, ongoing combat training and experience as it is their sole job. My training will be split between combat and trade training.

It has taken me a couple of weeks to really sort out this shit in my head. It’s still a 4 year commitment so I need to go in their with the resolve and drive to get everything out of the experience. The more I think about it, the more practical a Vehicle Mechanic position seems to be for me, so maybe it will be a good thing in the end.

5 Likes

I agree. It’s a qualification that’ll pretty much guarantee you a decent job anywhere.

1 Like

Yeah well that is another thing I guess. Although I’m not sure if I could be a mechanic in civilian life. But you never know!

I already have many skills for finding work which got me thinking about life in general and what we strive to achieve in it.

My father for example is very monetary focused and uses his wealth to go on holidays. He uses his time to see Australia and the world and experience what it has to offer.

Myself on the other hand, I use my time to accrue skills. I’m skilled in woodworking, machine driving, rope access and roofing, landscaping and garden maintenance, lifting, martial arts and to smaller degree, diet and nutrition. I wish to spend my next 4 years developing my survival, team communication and combat skills and to a smaller degree mechanical skills as well.

I have very little interest in money as long as I can live comfortable enough to go after what I really want.

2 Likes

Just want to note that my ‘skilled in’ does not imply that I possess a large amount of competence, just that I am able to perform these activities without being a complete tosser.

Unfortunately the only skills I have been building in the last few weeks is playstationing and eating works burgers.

I could finally sleep on my left side last night. My right shoulder thanked me. I went grocery shopping today and I am going to start the process of becoming an Army mechanic on Monday.

4 Likes

Yess, these are good skills every once in a while mate haha

1 Like

Monday 18th September

Gym Workout ?

Band Pull Aparts
Band Dislocates
Band Rows

Run the Rack DB Rows
10kg x 10 each arm
12.5kg x 10
15kg x 10
20kg x 10
25kg x 10
20kg x 10
15kg x 10
10kg x 10 - nice and slow

By this time the coach at the Muay Thai gym showed up. Told him about my rib sprain. Talked to the boys and a bit of static stretching. The lads went for the run so I continued…

Standing DB Press
15kg 3x10

Band Pull Aparts between sets x 20

Chin-ups
BW x 1 - damn thats not nice

End of session. I’m glad I went down to get some blood flowing and catch up with everyone. My plan was actually to do chest supported rows but there was a fight night at the gym (boxing) on the weekend so they packed up a lot of the weights. Luckily the bent rows didn’t affect my ribs due to mad gangsta bracing skills.

2 Likes

Aw yeah! Nice to see you lifting some weights. :wink: youre healing up which is good

1 Like

Greetings Irishman, my friend. Just noting your wide ranging skills, and your preference for learning and doing, rather than just making money, you might find value in something i am reading now.
The authoress has identified people genetically unsuited to lifelong specialization on just one job. She calls them scanners, and there are some 11 varieties.
Because it is my practice to read multiple books at the same time (perhaps 7, text books and novels, switching from one to the other after say 4 pages) i think i must have elements of this.
The book is “Refuse to Choose”, by Barbara Sher. She has a community at www.barbarasher.com.

1 Like

Wow I would say so! I would have to wait to finish the chapter at least!

Thanks for the book reference. I find all that sort of stuff fascinating. Hopefully one day my ‘scanner’ personality will pay off.

3 Likes

Wednesday 20th September

Career Update

I’m going to become an Army Officer :sunglasses:

Well that’s my 1st preference. 2nd preference is Recovery Mechanic! They get to pull stuck vehicles and armoured vehicles out of rough terrain and mud! Haha what a sweet job! There is 150 in a line for this job…

150 people already cued up for that position. 200 + people cued up to become a Mechanic . That was the job I walked in there requesting. I was met with a quizzical look, a mouse click and a confirmed “this job is crazy full”

So the Air Force is chocker blocked (full), the Army has got very little vacancies and while I didn’t pursue the Navy I can only assume it is well stocked as well. This is fine except the amount of ads on TV and signage around saturating us with this message that they are in short supply…? Wtf… I walked past a couple of army troops 2day at my shopping centre. I’m likely to walk up to them and ask if they realize how many jobs they are offering come with a 2+ year wait.

Anyway my 3rd preference is Army Quartermaster. Basically the supply and logistics of the Army. It’s not a sexy job and for that reason it is one of the few lines that are actually moving!

So basically, I wanna be a badass officer but it ain’t easy. Lots more testing in the initial stages, Duntroon Officer College, more coin, way more responsibility, top notch combat training…

It’s a lot but I believe I’m up for it.

2 Likes

I think it’ll suit you.

Haha cheers mate, let’s see how resilient I am!

2 Likes

I worked at RMC for a while. They seemed to enjoy themselves.

1 Like

Oh, what doing?

1 Like

Everything. Except possibly the punishment pack marches on weekends

1 Like

Oh yeah I’m not looking forward to marching in general haha oh well good with the bad!

3 Likes