Irishman's Training & Nutrition

How’s the shins Irish ?

1 Like

The shoes have helped tremendously. My shins are still tender when I’m doing the 3km warm-up and when I’m bouncing around hitting the bags, but once the blood starts flowing, they feel much better.

Bruises from kicking the heavy bag have also subsided. Now for the long slow process of building those shins into blades of war :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Really enjoying reading up on your new MT adventures.

Im choosing between boxing and MT to supplement my BJJ training. Im leaning towards boxing, but will probably give both a go and see what suits me better. Any suggestions?

Do you do much skipping? Previously with skipping I got myself some knee tendonitis (jumpers knee), but Im keen to start up again for some extra conditioning.

tweet

I’m bias towards MT, but I have always liked kicks and knees over punching. There are several blokes in my class that have come from boxing and while they enjoyed it, obviously it leaves a big gap in your offensive capabilities, and they didn’t like having so many of their weapons ‘untapped’.

My gym is a predominantly boxing gym and I can see they do similar circuit training as we do but with more emphasis on footwork and on bag/mitt work whereas 40-60% of our sessions are conditioning, abs and muscular endurance work.

I have skipped once. It was my very 1st session and I rocked up a bit early. The coach was waiting for the rest of the class to arrive and he just told me to chill out or start warming up. I grabbed a rope and skipped for 5min… Never touched a rope since…

The boxing boys start every session with a skipping/push-up/situp/shadowbox and regularly I see them skipping rope in their circuits.

The negatives to MT over boxing IMO is the amount of stress the lower body goes through when starting out. I’m sure boxers would get sore calves from the footwork, but MT you also have sore shins from bags and pads, sore ankles from hitting the pads a bit off, sore shins from leg checks, sore thighs from getting kicked through the pads, sore knees from repeated kneeing of bags… Etc

This extra stress really does screw with your recovery ability and that’s a big reason why I have basically had to cut strength training out of my life at the moment.

3 Likes

Saturday 9th September

In the interest of being honest in a training log, I have an injury to the core.

I believe it to be a strained rib from excessive weight and reps in an ab activity. I trained Tuesday night and felt a twinge after performing weighted crunches. No pain Wednesday. No pain Thursday. Struggled to turn off alarm Friday morning due to rib pain. x2 Pain on Saturday morning-night.

Currently trialling Jack Daniels as a pain suppressant.

1 Like

Go easy on the Jacks mate.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

tweet

1 Like

That sucks big time Irish, seems you can’t catch a break right now. Rest up and hope you come good soon mate

1 Like

Bugger. Rest up. Heal. Moderate Jack consumption.

2 Likes

I had something similar once - I thought it was a broken rib at first, the pain was unbelievable. Turned out it was just a strained/inflamed muscle between my ribs. Rest is the only way to get rid of the pain. Yeah, it sucks, but if you don’t let it heal it may become chronic.

2 Likes

Hope you heal up soon. If running or skipping is irritating your legs, try putting some sleeves on. I’ve had to because the sheer weight of just my thighs alone really irritate my knees, and ankles.

1 Like

Thanks guys. It really is annoying as someone who basically prides himself on never being sick or injured to be so sick and injured lately :face_with_head_bandage:

It feels slightly better today but still very painful to move around and coughing is a nightmare. Jacks helped me a bit last night. Oh well…

2 Likes

Friday 5th September

Injury Update

Ok so pretty shit but bearable the last week… or 3. My sprained rib muscle has healed somewhat, I still can’t sleep on my left side, do unilateral movements (like real life landscaping movements), or cough/sneeze without decent pain and/or discomfort.

Due to sleeping on my right shoulder all week it’s started to feel funky lately to.

I haven’t trained all week. Been popping fish oil + a concentrated DHA fish oil daily. Probably not eating quite enough on some days as I’m just dodgy like that when I’m not training.

However I did just do a quick band (M) mobility session to get some blood flowing. Remind the ol’ body that it’s still got a motherfuckin job to do :sunglasses:

Career Update Coming Soon<

5 Likes

How’s the dig bite ? You got rabies yet?

Full mobility in me thumb and it’s just a scab now. I made sure I got it uncovered and airing asap.

Rotweiler 0 - 1 Irishman

1 Like

Yer but do you like dags

Dags, as in the shitty pieces hanging off a sheep’s arse?

Ummm I haven’t really considered that, but I would have to go with a weak ‘no’. I don’t like the shitty nature of dags, but on the other hand I don’t hold it against the sheep for having them…

1 Like

I’m finally caught up on your log. Outstanding work. My four-stripe brown belt friend’s gym also does Muay Thai, but I think my window for that has passed. Who knows, maybe just a few classes…

I hope you heal soon, but make sure you heal well!

2 Likes

Outstanding is a bit generous! Haha thanks mate

I recommend getting used to running and perhaps Skipping Ropes to get the lower extremities used to constant impact. You pick up stuff really well so I’m sure if you put your mind to it, you can only benefit.

At this point, I’m happy to take any kind of healing! Haha

I’m here to announce my decision to end my Muay Thai kickboxing career.

1 Like

I don’t blame you! Haha you think that 3km run at the start of every session is me having fun? So much no!

It is a blessing in disguise though, as the military also like to run.

1 Like