110kg x 5
120kg x 5
100kg x 10 - Conventional Deadlift

Front Squat Holds
80kg x 30sec
90kg x 30sec
100kg 2x30sec

Weighed in at 76.5kg

Dodgy weight session. Really wasn’t feeling strong at all. I understand that crap sessions happen but it’s really annoying when it falls on my intensity day.

Considering going back this arvo for a bro pump workout but I have a shit heap to do today as I worked yesterday. Probably won’t happen.

2 Likes

Monday 31st July

Gym Conditioning

Chin-ups (superset Dips)
BW 3x5 (BW 3x5)

Back Squat
65kg x 20

Barbell Calf Raises
105kg x 20

Circuit x 3
KB Swings x 20
KB Goblet Squats x 20
Push-ups x 20

Stationary Bike Lv6 90rpm 6min

Smashed through the workout. I get a good pump out of the calf raises, nearly as tough as the squats themselves. The only rest between exercises is what is takes to walk between them and set up. Soaked with sweat by the end. Going to do a timed 2.4km run tomorrow, see how I’m going.

1 Like

RAAF Test

My new score My old score (RAAF entry standard)

Beep test - 10.11 10.4 (7.5)
Full ROM chin-up - 12 11 (n/a)
Flexed arm hang - 38 24 seconds (30 seconds)
Push-ups - 59 47 (25)
Feet held Sit-ups - 52 46 (60)
2.4km run - 10:41 11:06 (12minutes)

Super happy with how my running is progressing. I felt really strong the whole time and beat my last time by 25 seconds. Good to see I have dropped nearly 2 minutes off my time in just 3 months.

I have been doing 60 Sit-ups a morning broken up into 20 reps with 2 deep breaths between sets. This isn’t helping as much as I had hoped so I will up the reps without a rest.

I look better in the mirror as well. There is a definite line between abs and obliques now. My hunger (and I assume) metabolism has sky-rocketed since 20rep squats. So good news all around :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It may be worth trying the sit ups multiple times a day, say 30 reps every 2 hours. This way you get a heap of volume but don’t fatigue too much in one session. Thsi should help you total. It works real good for chin ups too.

Yeah I can only try these things. I’m glad I started to test this stuff so far out from when I need it. I go see the recruitment guys early next week and I may not need to do the tests for another 3 months. Who knows! Point is, I won’t be stressed as I know I can hit everything… Except those bloody Sit-ups :joy:

1 Like

Wednesday 2nd August

Gym Workout

Rowing machine 2min

Back Squat
67.5kg x 20

Barbell Calf Raises
107.5kg x 20

Shoulder Circuit
Seated DB Press 20kg 3x9
Lateral Raises 6kg 3x9
DB Rows 25kg 3x9

Seated Cable Rows x lots

Dumbbell Curls x magic 7’s

Rowing machine 3min

And that’s all she wrote. Nothing heavy today, I had a big day and have been feeling rather drained lately. Had a good Bicep pump on the seated rows and there were some bored looking chicks around, so I thought I would make the most of it and bust out some curls… They didn’t look bored after the gun show :wink:

4 Likes

Saturday 5th August

Gym Workout

Rowing machine 2min Warm-up

Front Squats
20kg x 10
40kg x 5
70kg 3x3

Sumo Deadlift
60kg x 5
100kg x 5
110kg x 5
120kg 3x5 - mixed grip on last 2 sets
100kg x 5 - Conventional Deficit Deadlift

Front Squat Holds
80kg x 30sec
90kg x 30sec
100kg x 30sec
110kg x 30sec
100kg x 30sec

Chin-ups (superset Dips)
BW 5x5 (BW 5x5)

I don’t feel like I’m getting any stronger on the front squats. I’m not sure if that’s the calorie deficit talking or I need to change it up. I dislike not progressing. The sumo deads were ok, but my double overhand grip is becoming a weak point. I changed to mixed grip and it completely throws my groove off. The bar drifts forward, it twists and it snags on my leg.

Despite these small annoyances, it was actually a nice session. If my RAAF interview turns out to be ages away (I find out in a few days) than I will go onto a proven strength program.

I’m actually seriously thinking about doing an semi advanced callisthenics program. The idea of ditching the barbell hurts my heart though…

EDIT: weighed in at 76.1kg

1 Like

Try moving your underhand out a half inch or so. That often helps.

1 Like

If you are going to mixed grip DL, remember to alternate how you set the hands. Mixed grip twists the spine AND puts a great stress on one of the biceps.

2 Likes

Try doing front squats with a pause in the bottom position - something like two heavy sets of 4, and two lighter sets if 6 (later if which is taken to absolute failure, so 6+ reps) works really nicely.

This is done I’m addition to front squats of course. The pause should not be too long, but it should be long enough to notice. Paused front squats really help with technique problems you may have and they make you really strong out of the hole.

Also, if you use an olympic grip, try moving your little finger to the other side of the bar - yeah, it sounds weird, but it helps me and other people I’ve trained.

2 Likes

Thanks @MarkKO @danteism & @76now for the input! Gives me much to ponder…

1. When I set out to start my 3x5 Sumo Deadlifts I had in my mind that I wanted to hit 120kg with them in a no fuss linear fashion. I have achieved this. I will now drop 5kg and continue on with conventional deads. Mixed grip works a lot nicer with conventional and I’m usually stronger on it so I will get some nice gains out of it.
  2. It’s sometimes tough to swallow pride but I must admit the 70kg 3x3 front squats was a bit ambitious to start with. So I’m thinking of dropping weight back to 60kg.
  • Wk1 60kg 2x3 paused, 2x6 normal
  • Wk2 60kg 2x4 paused, 2x7 normal
  • Wk3 60kg 2x5 paused, 2x8 normal
  • Wk4 increase weight, same reps as Wk1
  • Last set is AMRAP, try to beat previous weeks

How does that sound?

3 Likes

Looks good. Personally I’m not a fan of front squats above five reps unless they’re pretty light, mostly because of issues breathing. Ditto pauses for over three. But, if you can do them like that they’ll probably do wonders.

1 Like

Monday 7th August

Gym Workout

Rowing machine 2min Warm-up

Chin-ups (superset Dips)
BW 3x5 (BW 3x5)

Leg Press - fucked around waiting for rack

Back Squat
70kg x 20

Barbell Calf Raises
110kg x 20

KB Swings (superset KB Goblet Squats)
16kg x 20 (16kg x 20)

16kg KB Swings x 50

I’m out. Lucky I made it that far. What a shit show of a day. Rang up RAAF and the job I want has a 6-12 month wait! Good god I can’t pull weeds and look after plants for that long.

Gym was absolutely packed. Blah blah fuckin excuses. Prob crack a cold beer later to really show myself how far off the rails I can go if something doesn’t go my way.

1 Like

Bummer. What about the army then go up for commandos or sniper?

I have been thinking about commandos. My rifle skills are not on point to be a decent sniper.

So many (mostly superficial) dilemmas with that though:

What does it say about my character to go for something for 2 years than swap out just because it may take some more time?

I feel the army mentality is not as in line with my own as the air force is. I’m rough enough without being around army infantry.

I’m such a defender. In all aspects of my life. It’s a weird way to see yourself I know, but I have always loved the enemy come at me.

Dunno mate, I should probably just practice my patience and go for what I want. I really feel like I need to just escape civilisation for awhile and clear my head. I get so bored at work and sorta go into a spiral. Luckily I’m not a negative person by default otherwise it would really fuck with me.

3 Likes

There is that, but a year on top of two is fair while. Plus, army vs airforce isn’t the biggest swap.

That’s more relevant. So, worth the wait.

You’re in WA, right? Maybe some kind of ranger job, you’d get to go out to woop woop for ages. Or what about policing out in the centre? I’m guessing WA police are always looking for people.

1 Like

ask them if they really don’t wear underwear or if it’s all just malicious slander

2 Likes

I’ll do that if you go to a Scottish strongman event and lift the kilt of the winner to try and find out the same thing :wink:

2 Likes

Is it just me or is that something I can see @Yogi1 seriously attempting?

4 Likes

Back in qld now. I wanted to be a ranger for awhile but not enough shooting involved… There is no way I could be a cop. They wouldn’t let me in to start, they have crappy hours and benefits and don’t do enough training to give me the skills I want. + my mates would disown me :joy: