67.5kg 3x5

Layer 4 - 5sec Eccentric
52.5kg x 6
52.5kg x 5
50kg x 6

Layer 5 - Constant tension
40kg x 2 sets to failure
20kg x 20

Woah what a chest pump! Chicks panties hit the floor, guys conversations stopped dead and the hot gym assistant dropped her vacuum cleaner as I walked past.

This is definitely the hypertrophy program I need and I can already see the benefits outside of just getting a good bit of mass about me.

I’m going to be so sore 2moro!

6 Likes

The layer is great and I like the SGHP
I’ll comment in the other tread :slight_smile:
Good luck with it

1 Like

I really like the idea of the layer system, it’s so simple and barebones in terms of equipment. Never done it though.

SGHPs never fail to give you trap doms, that’s what I know

3 Likes

Layer system is one if his that’s on my short list to try at some point.

WS4SB is a good program, but it’s definitely geared towards athletes more so than the recreational lifter. If you were doing everything else an athlete does aside from lifting I bet you’d have liked it more.

I’ll hit you up in the other thread about the high pulls!

1 Like

Sunday 20th May

Squat Day

Lateral Raises
7kg DB’s 2x14
Leg Press Calf Raises
100kg 2x15

Barbell Back Squat

Layer 1 - Isometric
4x6 sec pushing against 6plates each side

Layer 2 - 2RM
60kg x 2
70kg x 2
80kg x 2
90kg x 2
95kg x 2

Layer 3 - Cluster Reps
85kg 3x6

Layer 4 - Slow Eccentric
65kg x 6
65kg x 7
65kg x 7

Layer 5 - Constant Tension
47.5kg x 2

Not going to lie, that was tough. The transition from ‘strength’ work to ‘hypertrophy’ work at Layer 4 absolutely trashes me. I’ve never done 5 second eccentric on squats before and it really showed!

Great quad pump from the constant tension sets, I’m still wrecked from it 30 min later!

I did some empty barbell SGHP after the Clusters but I just had no gas so stopped it pretty abruptly.

High Incline Press next time!

7 Likes

Just an FYI- there’s more than one way to do layers

1 Like

Yeah cheers mate, I didn’t know that until I had a quick look through CT’s forum and saw a few different variations of them. I think I’ll run it how it’s set up at the moment and see after 4 or 6 weeks how each lift is feeling and how I’m recovering.

1 Like

Chin ups could be pretty fun if they were done in the layer fashion

You’re not wrong! The imagination goes crazy thinking of all the possibilities, I’m sure you are well aware of that feeling!

1 Like

Oh yeah, I’m very aware of that feeling!
It’s cool to train with limited equipment or in a way that limits you to a certain amount or type of exercises, like the layer system limits you to variations of one exercise for the day. Those limitations really light up the imagination.

1 Like

What?! You mean you have to work hard to make gains… I ain’t about that life.
Seriously though man some solid work going on, keep at it

1 Like

You have obviously had to work hard and continue to do so. I definitely draw inspiration and motivation from you stronger guys.

It is hard work this program but I already feel swole, I have a good amount of DOMS going on and I’m not feeling the cold lately. All those signs are telling me that there will be gains coming shortly!

Cheers mate!

2 Likes

…maybe one day (when I’m much stronger) you can be inspired by a chick that’s stronger too :joy: haha! Your doing good Mr. Irishman! :beers:

1 Like

With your determined attitude, I’m sure it won’t be long :grin:

Why thank ya ma’am :tips hat:

1 Like

HAHA! Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Tuesday 22nd May

Incline Press Day

Leg Press Calf Raises
120kg 2x15
Hanging Leg Raises 2x15

Incline Bench Press

Layer 1 - Isometric Press
4 sets 6 sec against unracking pin

Layer 2 - 2RM
30kg x 2
35kg x 2
40kg x 2
45kg x 2
50kg x 2

Layer 3 - Cluster Reps
45kg 3x4

Layer 4 - 5sec Eccentric
35kg 3x8

25kg x 2

So I did this with a really high incline, probably more Overhead Press than Incline Bench. The reason is my shoulders feel awkward on a normal (45) incline. My shoulders also don’t like heavy barbells overhead but (un)lucky for me I’m really weak on the OH Press at the moment. Shouldn’t take long to build it back up.

The Clusters were tough. Only managed 4 reps each but the slow eccentric was pretty easy. I think this is because I naturally lower my OH Press pretty slow, about 3 seconds.

It was a pretty easy session for the nervous system. Didn’t sweat at all and felt fine all day. Bit of a contrast to the bench and squats!

Tomorrow I’m going to go in and do the optional lat day. I like @danteism idea of clusters for chins so I may just do that!

3 Likes

I once did mixed grip pull ups fir 8 sets of 8 per side with 30s rest intervals, that was pretty tough, although they weren’t exactly cluster sets

Wednesday 23rd May

Lat Day

Lateral Raises
7kg 2x14
Ab Roll-out
2x10

Chin-ups

Layer 1 - Isometric Pull
4 sets 6 sec against 120kg

Layer 2 - 2RM
80kg x 2
82.5kg x 2
85kg x 2
87.5kg x 2
90kg x 2
95kg x 2

Layer 3 - Cluster Reps
85kg 3x6

Layer 4 - 5sec Eccentric
65kg 3x8

Horizontal Cable Rows Lv 7 x 2

All weights include bodyweight which was 79.0kg (rounded to 80kg). The 65kg was a guess while using the assisted weights. The goal is to build my 2RM up so I can do the eccentric Layer with my bodyweight.

Really enjoyed that session and got to use my dip belt which was really cool.

6 Likes

Friday 25th May

High Pull Day

Leg Press Calf Raises
120kg 2x15
Lateral Raises
7kg 2x15

Snatch Grip High Pull

(Forgot Layer 1)

Layer 2 - 2RM
20kg x 6
30kg x 6
40kg x 2
50kg x 2
60kg x 2
65kg x 2

Layer 3 - Cluster Reps
60kg 3x6

Karowski Rows

Layer 4 - 5sec Eccentric
45kg 3x7

32.5kg x 2

Felt really cool trying 2 new movements! A bonus is that they where all PRs!

The SGHP went really quite well. I have a knack of being able to pick stuff up pretty quickly and this was no different. Did a few more a low weights than recommended but felt comfortable upping the weight. Karowski Rows are pretty cool too! They gave me a good pump and also gave my grip a bit of TuT as well.

Already feel soreness in the traps so I’m hoping to see good things out of this. The last session for week one is tomorrow. Preacher Curls! Yup, a whole workout dedicated to my biceps :joy: just call me Irishbro from now on!

5 Likes

Told you high pulls would decapitate your traps

Are you doing some sort of delt/ab/calf prioritization or are those movements there only for maintenance purposes?

1 Like