T Nation

Iraq Civil War?

The Kurdish representative to great Britain (I missed her name) suggested on BBC current affairs programme News Night that Iraq is in a state of civil war as most people killed by the myriad bombs and shootings are Iraqi. The Iraqi Foreign minister stated it wasn’t. His reasoning was that most Iraqis wanted democracy. Of course that doesn’t mean its not a civil war, but the Iraqi foreign office is just a big PR machine so what can you expect really (that’s government all over the world though)! He then blamed Sunni Muslims for the widespread violence. Its beyond civil disorder certainly but is it war? Maybe this is all just semantics!

It can’t be civil war, at least not yet, because most bombings are done by non-Iraqis coming from across the border.

On another point, if necessary they should be willing to split up the country if groups cannot come together peacefully. But only if they start having too much trouble with different groups getting along. Right now it is too early to start down that road.

Right now, most of the fighting is being instigated by outsiders trying to derail the democratic process. That is the biggest threat to the terrorists in the Mid-East. They are trying to start a civil war there. Only time will tell if they are successful.

But if this is what the terrorists want, we should do anything to stop it, because I don’t see anything a terrorist could want as good.

[quote]The Mage wrote:
It can’t be civil war, at least not yet, because most bombings are done by non-Iraqis coming from across the border.

On another point, if necessary they should be willing to split up the country if groups cannot come together peacefully. But only if they start having too much trouble with different groups getting along. Right now it is too early to start down that road.

Right now, most of the fighting is being instigated by outsiders trying to derail the democratic process. That is the biggest threat to the terrorists in the Mid-East. They are trying to start a civil war there. Only time will tell if they are successful.

But if this is what the terrorists want, we should do anything to stop it, because I don’t see anything a terrorist could want as good.[/quote]

I think Muslim cleric Moktada Al Sadar (sp) would beg to differ about where the terrorists come from. It’d be comforting to think that the bombs are our old enemies from Iran, Saudi etc, but lets face, Iraq has become a breeding ground for extremism. You’re right about the splitting though, it has been widely discussed and the main issue is that the Shia areas have all the oil, the Kurdish areas are almost independant already and the Sunni are left with little. I think the split would have already taken place except the Sunni want federalism and therefore a slice of the oil cash. The last thing they want is a Dubai to the south of them and no option of getting in on the action.