T Nation

Iraq: 5 Soldiers Killed, 3 Missing

This is very sad news, but bear with me for a while. Read on the BBC’s account:

[i]"Five coalition soldiers have been killed and three are missing after an attack by insurgents south of the Iraqi capital Baghdad, the US military says.

The patrol of seven Americans and their Iraqi interpreter were attacked near the town of Mahmudiya, spokesman Maj Gen William Caldwell said.

He said that within an hour other troops were at the scene of the attack, hunting for the missing soldiers.

Checkpoints have been set up to prevent the soldiers being moved from the area.

Gen Caldwell said the team was attacked seven miles (11 kilometres) west of Mahmudiya, scene of frequent attacks by insurgents against US troops.

Information of the attack first emerged when an unmanned aerial vehicle spotted two burning vehicles just before 0500 (0100 GMT) .

A huge operation has been launched involving helicopters, unmanned aerial vehicles and fixed-wing aircraft, to try to find the missing men.

The US military is also talking to local leaders to try to enlist their help in the search, while checkpoints have been set up on roads leading away from the area and west into Anbar to prevent the soldiers being taken to an insurgent base.

“Make no mistake: we will never stop looking for our soldiers until their status is definitively determined, and we continue to pray for their safe return,” said Gen Caldwell.

In the past year, six US soldiers have been abducted and killed by insurgents in two similar incidents.

The bodies of two soldiers were found days after they went missing in the same area last June, while four soldiers were abducted and killed by insurgents in Karbala in January this year."[/i]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6649713.stm

Guess where it happened? Yep! The same town where the 14 years old Iraqi little girl was gang-raped and its family slaughtered in cold blood by some bad apples in the US military.

I know they are being prosecuted for their crimes, but as I’ve been foretelling for the past weeks, her relatives, neighbors and friends will never forgive America for waging a war that lead to that.

I am NOT justifying the shooting of US soldiers or their capture and I don’t know who’s behind the deed. For all we know, it could be Al-Qaeda. But can you honestly tell me that if you were in the shoes of little Abeer’s relatives, you wouldn’t start shooting at American soldiers?

As pacifist as I am, I can’t rule out blowing a fuse and going after every last one of them.

Shit man civillians die in every war and I’m sure their relatives naturally get pissed off and help the enemy. It’s unavoidable. Doesn’t mean we can’t win though.

[quote]lixy wrote:
This is very sad news, but bear with me for a while. Read on the BBC’s account:

[i]"Five coalition soldiers have been killed and three are missing after an attack by insurgents south of the Iraqi capital Baghdad, the US military says.

The patrol of seven Americans and their Iraqi interpreter were attacked near the town of Mahmudiya, spokesman Maj Gen William Caldwell said.

He said that within an hour other troops were at the scene of the attack, hunting for the missing soldiers.

Checkpoints have been set up to prevent the soldiers being moved from the area.

Gen Caldwell said the team was attacked seven miles (11 kilometres) west of Mahmudiya, scene of frequent attacks by insurgents against US troops.

Information of the attack first emerged when an unmanned aerial vehicle spotted two burning vehicles just before 0500 (0100 GMT) .

A huge operation has been launched involving helicopters, unmanned aerial vehicles and fixed-wing aircraft, to try to find the missing men.

The US military is also talking to local leaders to try to enlist their help in the search, while checkpoints have been set up on roads leading away from the area and west into Anbar to prevent the soldiers being taken to an insurgent base.

“Make no mistake: we will never stop looking for our soldiers until their status is definitively determined, and we continue to pray for their safe return,” said Gen Caldwell.

In the past year, six US soldiers have been abducted and killed by insurgents in two similar incidents.

The bodies of two soldiers were found days after they went missing in the same area last June, while four soldiers were abducted and killed by insurgents in Karbala in January this year."[/i]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6649713.stm

Guess where it happened? Yep! The same town where the 14 years old Iraqi little girl was gang-raped and its family slaughtered in cold blood by some bad apples in the US military.

I know they are being prosecuted for their crimes, but as I’ve been foretelling for the past weeks, her relatives, neighbors and friends will never forgive America for waging a war that lead to that.

I am NOT justifying the shooting of US soldiers or their capture and I don’t know who’s behind the deed. For all we know, it could be Al-Qaeda. But can you honestly tell me that if you were in the shoes of little Abeer’s relatives, you wouldn’t start shooting at American soldiers?

As pacifist as I am, I can’t rule out blowing a fuse and going after every last one of them.[/quote]

Would you blow a fuse and go after the insurgents for their market bombs, sectarian attacks, killing of elected officials, so on and so forth?

[quote]40yarddash wrote:
Shit man civillians die in every war and I’m sure their relatives naturally get pissed off and help the enemy. It’s unavoidable.[/quote]

No way! That case has nothing to do with the war. Read on a bit before dismissing it as yet another casualty.

http://www.expose-the-war-profiteers.org/DOD/iraq_II/mahmudiya.htm

Anyone with a functioning central nervous system knows how happy news like this makes you Lixy.

I’m guessing everyone at your mosque must be ecstatic as well.

[quote]lixy wrote:
40yarddash wrote:
Shit man civillians die in every war and I’m sure their relatives naturally get pissed off and help the enemy. It’s unavoidable.

No way! That case has nothing to do with the war. Read on a bit before dismissing it as yet another casualty.

http://www.expose-the-war-profiteers.org/DOD/iraq_II/mahmudiya.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmudiya[/quote]

I believe he means that this will happen in any war. No matter how disciplined troops are overall, there will always be a few that will commit crimes.

Anyways, don’t worry, eventually the attackers will be killed or captured. It’s only a matter of time.

Well, to answer my own question above, there are new grass roots movements aligning themselves with the Iraqi government and US forces. The sunni Anbar Salvation Front, led by Abdul Sattar al-Rishawi, for one.

And his movement is now becoming national under the title “Iraq Awakening.” I suppose they too got tired of seeing family killed by insurgents, and decided that it was the US and the Iraqi government who are on side of right. They’ll be running provincial and parliamentary candidates in the '09 elections.

Ah, democracy and moderate muslims. Wonderful stuff.

In other news, lixy rejoices as infidels are once again slain. Get real man, nothing you say can be taken serious by people here.

You start this thread without waiting for all the info to be released. Lixy your a joke.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
I believe he means that this will happen in any war. No matter how disciplined troops are overall, there will always be a few that will commit crimes. [/quote]

Fair enough. It wasn’t clear from his post though.

If such things are unavoidable in wars, wouldn’t it be wise to put military action as a LAST resort? Attacking Iraq was NOT a fatality. It could have been easily avoided had it not been for Bush and his cronies.

I have no doubt that Mahmudyia will be turned into hell (even more than it already is) in the next few days to look for the attackers. Yet, I am more worried about the captured Americans for the time being.

[quote]lixy wrote:

I have no doubt that Mahmudyia will be turned into hell (even more than it already is) in the next few days to look for the attackers. Yet, I am more worried about the captured Americans for the time being.[/quote]

I assume they’re dead. Probably mutilated and booby trapped by now. It’s the calling card of the “legitimate resistance.” If they’re not executing captured Iraqis, they’re executing the very few coalition members they get their hands on. But again, these soldiers’ comrades will eventually hunt down the guilty parties.

Lixy wrote " I am more worried about the captured Americans for the time being."

I believe that as much as that horseshit you posted about your supposed training routine.

In fact, the only thing you are worried about is that they will be found unharmed.

[quote]Tokoya wrote:
Lixy wrote " I am more worried about the captured Americans for the time being."

I believe that as much as that horseshit you posted about your supposed training routine.

In fact, the only thing you are worried about is that they will be found unharmed. [/quote]

Actually I bet he is worried for them, he wants to see them safe. He’s worried that if we see American soldiers bodes mutilated(like getting there head sawed off) that it will awaken America’s fury again. last time we got pissed we blew up two country’s in record time.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Actually I bet he is worried for them, he wants to see them safe. He’s worried that if we see American soldiers bodes mutilated(like getting there head sawed off) that it will awaken America’s fury again. last time we got pissed we blew up two country’s in record time.[/quote]

Way too many Americans have already been savagely mutilated in Iraq, the most famous case took place in Falluja a couple of years back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3585765.stm

What’s worth noting in that particular case is that it was captured on video (which I won’t link to for ethical reasons) and it unequivocally shows the perpetrators were regular Iraqis of all ages and all walks of lives. Anyway, that was to show that we can rule out the “last time we got pissed we blew up two country’s in record time” bit. It’s not a question of displaying power anymore. Everybody knows what you’re capable of.

To get back to the captured soldiers, unless a miracle takes place, they are going to be hurt. There is no way those who captured them will let them walk out of this unharmed. My concern is about the degree of atrocities that will be gratuitously and perhaps even viciously visited upon them. They are very likely good kids who don’t deserve to die in a horrible manner. They had nothing to do with the rape and massacre that the 502d perpetrated. What is their sin?

I pray for them with all my heart.

What is interesting is that Lixy started a post saying that Marines fired upon unarmed civilians and how awful our soldiers are.

Now there’s one that talks about al-qaeda killing unarmed soldiers, and our soldiers are still bad !

I understand the situation about the rape, but what about the attack on the base, where the alleged Iranian Republican Guards went in, captured a bunch of soldiers, drove them to an alley and assassinated them. They also were unarmed, and had nothing to do with the rape.

And either did the guys they captured now.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
What is interesting is that Lixy started a post saying that Marines fired upon unarmed civilians and how awful our soldiers are. [/quote]

Do you don’t think marines firing at point-blank on unarmed civilians who held their hands in the air, then proceed to piss on their bodies is something awful?

There’s nothing debatable about that as far as I’m concerned.

I’ll quote myself:

“My concern is about the degree of atrocities that will be gratuitously and perhaps even viciously visited upon them. They are very likely good kids who don’t deserve to die in a horrible manner. They had nothing to do with the rape and massacre that the 502d perpetrated. What is their sin?”

Now THIS is news that would make Lixy sad:

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2007/05/13/661912.html&cvqh=itn_taliban

Why does everyone think Lixy supports terrorists? Just because he is liberal and happens to be Muslim does not mean he supports Al-Queda and wishes death on Americans. We have people in the U.S. who say the same stuff he does and they are just called hippies but when Lixy says it he is called a cyber-jihadist.

But then I don’t really spend much time on this forum so maybe he really did say some anti-american stuff that I missed I don’t know…

[quote]40yarddash wrote:
Why does everyone think Lixy supports terrorists? Just because he is liberal and happens to be Muslim does not mean he supports Al-Queda and wishes death on Americans. [/quote]

Some people around here clearly stated that by its very nature, Islam condones terrorism. I have no idea who put that idea between their ears, but it’s absolutely not the Islam I know.

Also, it’s much easier to attack a person and discredit him with all sort of labels, than attack the arguments he makes.

It’s McCarthism all over again…

[quote]Tokoya wrote:
Now THIS is news that would make Lixy sad:

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2007/05/13/661912.html&cvqh=itn_taliban[/quote]

Shits about to hit the fan.

There is only one thing left to do to these monsters, CARPET BOMB.