Iranian Students Heckle Their Fuhrer!

Iran students heckle Ahmadinejad
Dec 11 8:03 AM US/Eastern

Iranian students have disrupted a speech by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at a prestigious Tehran university, setting fire to his picture and heckling him.

“Some students chanted radical slogans and inflamed the atmosphere of the meeting” at the Amir Kabir University, said the semi-official Fars news agency on Monday, which is close to Ahmadinejad.

“A small number of students shouted ‘death to the dictator’ and smashed cameras of state television but they were confronted by a bigger group of students in the hall chanting: ‘We support Ahmadinejad’,” it said.

It was the latest in a series of student demonstrations in recent days, the first time in least two years that such protests have taken place on this scale at Iranian universities.

Ahmadinejad responded by describing those students chanting the slogans as an “oppressive” minority.

“A small number of people who claim there is oppression are creating oppression and do not let the majority hear (my) words,” he said.

According to the student news agency ISNA, Ahmadinejad responded to the students’ chants of “students can die but they do not accept degradation” by lashing out at the United States.

“Today, the worst type of dictatorship in the world is the American dictatorship which has been clothed in human rights,” he said.

“Our students are free and they fight and die but do not accept the foreigners’ missions or bend to them,” he added.

“It is my honour to burn for the sake of the nation’s ideals and defend the system,” Ahmadinejad was quoted as telling protesters who set fire his picture, ISNA said.

“Americans must know that even if Ahmadinejad’s body is burnt a thousand times for this purpose, Ahmadinejad will not retreat even a centimetre from these ideals.”

The Iranian president’s speech was also interrupted by firecrackers, ISNA said.

A group of Amir Kabir’s top students had earlier expressed objections to the government’s economic and political agenda as well as “confrontation with student activists and ridding universities of independent lecturers”.

“Bankrupting the country’s industry, inflation, distribution of poverty, defacement of the country’s international image and playing with the nation’s fate in diplomatic issues,” were among the points brought up in a statement.

“University is alive and criticises the government,” it added, according to ISNA.

The incident came after hundreds of Iranian students protested at Amir Kabir on Sunday to denounce a crackdown on a reformist-led university association, according to the ISNA news agency.

Between 2,000 and 3,000 students also demonstrated at Tehran University on Wednesday to mark students’ day, chanting slogans such as “for freedom and against despotism”, ISNA reported at the time."

Maybe there’s hope after all: Someone will kill all them sumbitches from the inside.

Good, the more of this stuff leaks out, the better. I am for them killing each other versus us doing it. It sure is easier.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Good, the more of this stuff leaks out, the better. I am for them killing each other versus us doing it. It sure is easier.[/quote]

If there ever is a civil war, hopefully what emerges is a “free society” based on law and human rights.

Unfortunately, most of the region seems to favor Islamic theocracies, which basically entail replacing one brutal dictator with a different one.

I’ll agree though, that the only lasting changes can only come from within.

The lesson in Iran is that power corrupts, and if you give your church power, your church gets corrupted.

All students are idealistic, and sensitive to the corruptions of power. There might be government reforms eventually, or there might be more repression. Whatever happens, nobody should expect that Iranians will come to favor what is against Iran.

Last I looked, the United States is against Iran. If we want the mullahs more firmly in power, all we need do is attack.

[quote]endgamer711 wrote:
The lesson in Iran is that power corrupts, and if you give your church power, your church gets corrupted.

All students are idealistic, and sensitive to the corruptions of power. There might be government reforms eventually, or there might be more repression. Whatever happens, nobody should expect that Iranians will come to favor what is against Iran.

Last I looked, the United States is against Iran. If we want the mullahs more firmly in power, all we need do is attack.[/quote]

Yeah just like Iraq. Most Iraqis under Saddam’s rule wanted democracy but now they are willing to settle for anything as long as it gets rid of what they think is foreign occupation.