T Nation

Iranian Stealth Aircraft

Last week an unidentified helicopter penetrated Israeli air defenses unnoticed. It now turns out that the reason why, is it was made out of a radar absorbent materials. Apparently it didn’t take long for the Iranians to exploit the stealth technology they acquired from the US last year.

Losing our stealth technology then doing nothing about it is yet another example of the gross incompetence and passivity of the administration. On a positive note, this breach of Israeli airspace by the Iranians has set a precedent for the Israelis to respond in a similar fashion.

http://www.debka.com/article/22420/Two-days-after-UAV-Patriots-posted-near-Haifa-and-other-parts-of-N-Israel

Israeli military researchers, investigating the incident have, according to debkafileâ??s intelligence sources, found fragments of the downed Iranian unmanned aerial vehicle had been made out of a certain type of fiberglass which is absorbent to radar beams. This explains why it was not detected by Israeli air defense radar.
This alerted the investigators to the possibility that Iranian engineers were able to reverse-engineer the stealth and radar-repellent elements embodied in the secret US RQ-170 drone they captured on Dec. 13, 2011, and incorporate them in the UAV which breached Israeli air space.
Iran then claimed its cyber war experts had downed the US RQ-170 intruding over its territory and recovered it complete with all its systems intact. The Americans still claim the secret drone came down in Iran when a technical fault forced it off course after taking off from Kandahar in S. Afghanistan.
Whatever happened then, Iran managed to commandeer the most secret American drone, a huge prize, together with its highly sophisticated electronic systems. The incident Saturday showed that the IDF had not taken into account that, in the interim ten months, Iran had learned how to use the stolen American RQ-170 stealth and counter-radar capabilities to upgrade unmanned aircraft of its own.
Indeed, on Sept. 17, a Revolutionary Guards general Seyed Mohsen Kazzemeini boasted that Iran had built a number of stealth aircraft from the seized American RQ-170.

Well that is not good they have some of our tech now. I am assuming we should try and destroy the aircraft so they can’t use it anymore. Is there anyway they could use the aircraft and attack the U.S. unnoticed???

It’s too late now to destroy the captured drone. The time to do it was immediately after the Iranians captured it. Now they have that technology they can apply it to anything, from aircraft to ships that could approach us unnoticed, missiles that would be difficult to track with radar. Plus they have been able to make deals with the Russians and Chinese to get access to it.

The other problem with of our enemies getting stealth to use for themselves is they can now learn about it’s weaknesses or we have to develop countermeasures to it which could then be stolen. Russians may already have used their newly acquired knowledge of stealth to help improve their antiaircraft defenses.

Allowing our enemies to steal out stealth technology has to be the worst breach of our national security since the Russians were able to steal the secrets of the Manhattan project. Amateur hour at the White House has caused permanent damage that will haunt us for a long time.

It was not “stealth.”

It was tracked from well within Lebanon, then intercepted by F-16 and shot down after attempts to seize its command & control system failed.

Still bothersome, and a clear sign of Iranian support of Hezbollah.

The real problem with this is, due to the small amount of territory involved, Israel will start patrolling Lebanese and other surrounding air space, effectively creating a “no fly zone” aroud its borders, which is not remotely fair to the normal Lebanese, but something that will have to be done.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
Well that is not good they have some of our tech now. I am assuming we should try and destroy the aircraft so they can’t use it anymore. Is there anyway they could use the aircraft and attack the U.S. unnoticed???[/quote]

I doubt they have the ability to make the engines.

As an aside, the new jihad attack coming to America is straight out of WWII Jap attempts to set the redwood forests ablaze.

Jihadis are simply going to drive around and start forest fires in dry areas of California, Colorado, etc. All it takes is $100 worth of kerosine, a weather report, and a car. Cheap and endless.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
Well that is not good they have some of our tech now. I am assuming we should try and destroy the aircraft so they can’t use it anymore. Is there anyway they could use the aircraft and attack the U.S. unnoticed???[/quote]

I doubt they have the ability to make the engines.

As an aside, the new jihad attack coming to America is straight out of WWII Jap attempts to set the redwood forests ablaze.

Jihadis are simply going to drive around and start forest fires in dry areas of California, Colorado, etc. All it takes is $100 worth of kerosine, a weather report, and a car. Cheap and endless.[/quote]

I’ve often feared that someday Jiahdis would realize that mayhem is pretty easy to create in the US and that it doesn’t necessarily have to involve the hijacking of an airplane, which in the wake of 9/11 is a fairly low-percentage endeavor.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

I’ve often feared that someday Jiahdis would realize that mayhem is pretty easy to create in the US and that it doesn’t necessarily have to involve the hijacking of an airplane, which in the wake of 9/11 is a fairly low-percentage endeavor.[/quote]

Death by a thousand cuts. Cheap, but big payoff. Anyways, I thought I saw something about a Russian intel guy (think he was an intelligence guy) claiming Europe was experiencing these jihadist wildfires. I did a quick a scan, meaning to come back to it later.

I guess we PWI folks would make very resourceful Jihadis.

I’m probably on some kind of list now for typing that.

But seriously, I hope to God these scumbags don’t start implementing the kind of thing we’re talking about.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
WWII Jap attempts
[/quote]

Not a big deal at all, but I wouldn’t have expected this sort of word choice from you, JB.[/quote]

What else to expect from a gaijin?

Was it wearing a burqua?

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
It was not “stealth.”

It was tracked from well within Lebanon, then intercepted by F-16 and shot down after attempts to seize its command & control system failed.

Still bothersome, and a clear sign of Iranian support of Hezbollah.

The real problem with this is, due to the small amount of territory involved, Israel will start patrolling Lebanese and other surrounding air space, effectively creating a “no fly zone” aroud its borders, which is not remotely fair to the normal Lebanese, but something that will have to be done.[/quote]

It may not have been fully stealth but it was made of radar absorbing materials that made it “low observable”. That’s why it wasn’t tracked from Lebanon, it was only tracked from when it came in from the Mediterranean and the Israelis are theorizing it came from Lebanon.

The issue is that thanks to the Obama administration not doing everything possible to prevent stealth falling into enemy hands, the Iranians are now either able to manufacture radar absorbent materials or they are having the material made by a more advanced country such as China or Russia.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
Well that is not good they have some of our tech now. I am assuming we should try and destroy the aircraft so they can’t use it anymore. Is there anyway they could use the aircraft and attack the U.S. unnoticed???[/quote]

I doubt they have the ability to make the engines.

As an aside, the new jihad attack coming to America is straight out of WWII Jap attempts to set the redwood forests ablaze.

Jihadis are simply going to drive around and start forest fires in dry areas of California, Colorado, etc. All it takes is $100 worth of kerosine, a weather report, and a car. Cheap and endless.[/quote]

I don’t know that there is anything special about the engines other than the way they are installed in the airframe. ie On the intake side the air is diverted so that the turbine blades aren’t are not visible from the outside. Then on the exhaust side they reduce heat signature.

If the engines are special and the Iranians can’t reproduce them I am sure the Russians or Chinese will be quite eager to reverse engineer for them so they can acquire the technology.

I’ve been concerned for a while that they could cause some devastating damage on the cheap. I just don’t post the possibilities that come to mind so I don’t give people ideas.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
WWII Jap attempts
[/quote]

Not a big deal at all, but I wouldn’t have expected this sort of word choice from you, JB.[/quote]

It’s the short form of “Japanese” right her in my Hebrew English dictionary. Had no idea it was derogatory (unless you are referring to my wife or daughters, of course, but then it’s capitalized all letters).

“Schlitzauge” is the nasty Yiddish/German for Japanese.

As an aside, I was recently in an asian country that I won’t name, and the speaker introduced me as being a member of the Israeli people, a very old priestly people, famous in all the world for killing the Christ.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

BTW, Sex Machine, while I’m playing PC cop, I might as well mention that most expats here find “gaijin” distasteful, similar to Jap.[/quote]

Yeah I know that was my point. When Japs stop calling non-Japs “gaijin” I’ll stop calling them Japs. Joking of course.

Actually, “Jap” is not usually considered derogatory over here - at least not in the crowd I mix with. We talk about Jap cars and Jap restaurants and so on with no disrespect meant to Japanese folk.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
And sadly, Japan is pretty much a bastion of anti-semitism.
[/quote]

That, I did not know. Japan actually refused to go along with Germany and let many Jewish people have refuge there.

There is even a group called the Makuya that are like self-converted Japanese to Judaism who volunteer and fight in the IDF and volunteer in charaties in Israel since 1967 or before.

Not a small group, either, like 300,000.

http://makuya.or.jp/eng/judaica.htm

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
Well that is not good they have some of our tech now. I am assuming we should try and destroy the aircraft so they can’t use it anymore. Is there anyway they could use the aircraft and attack the U.S. unnoticed???[/quote]

I doubt they have the ability to make the engines.

As an aside, the new jihad attack coming to America is straight out of WWII Jap attempts to set the redwood forests ablaze.

Jihadis are simply going to drive around and start forest fires in dry areas of California, Colorado, etc. All it takes is $100 worth of kerosine, a weather report, and a car. Cheap and endless.[/quote]

I’ve often feared that someday Jiahdis would realize that mayhem is pretty easy to create in the US and that it doesn’t necessarily have to involve the hijacking of an airplane, which in the wake of 9/11 is a fairly low-percentage endeavor.[/quote]

So true. I’ve often wondered about the Islamofascists fascination/obsession with commercial aircraft when there are so many other ways to create death and destruction that are less risky and simpler.[/quote]

Yeah, they seem to be positively infatuated with those things.

I dont really understand why, because if you want to instill terror, you need to be unpredictable.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

BTW, Sex Machine, while I’m playing PC cop, I might as well mention that most expats here find “gaijin” distasteful, similar to Jap.[/quote]

Yeah I know that was my point. When Japs stop calling non-Japs “gaijin” I’ll stop calling them Japs. Joking of course.

Actually, “Jap” is not usually considered derogatory over here - at least not in the crowd I mix with. We talk about Jap cars and Jap restaurants and so on with no disrespect meant to Japanese folk.[/quote]

You shkotzim are so sensitive.