T Nation

Iranian Athletes Refuse To Compete

An Iranian swimmer pulled out of the Olympic Games men’s 100m breaststroke heats on Saturday, just minutes before he was due to compete against an Israeli rival.

Mohammad Alirezaei’s lane one was empty when the field left the starting blocks while Israel’s Tom Beeri, starting in lane seven, finished fourth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3562808.stm

A spokesman for the Iran National Olympic Committee said it was a “general policy” of the country to refrain from competing against Israeli athletes and that Miresmaeili had simply observed the protocol.

lol

Iran spends money to fly him over so he can just sit on his ass? Nice.

[quote]Magnate wrote:

A spokesman for the Iran National Olympic Committee said it was a “general policy” of the country to refrain from competing against Israeli athletes and that Miresmaeili had simply observed the protocol.

[/quote]

Yeah, it’s probably embarrassing to lose to a jew. They’re just preventing the feeling the Nazi’s got when Jesse Owens whipped their asses. Hell at least the Nazi’s had the balls to try.

mike

I wonder if the Iranians would allow their athletes to fence against an Israeli…probably want the Israeli guy to have not body armor.

The balls? I think it had more to do with arrogance.

Same thing with Schmeling’s rematch. Nobody in Germany thought that he could lose at all - even when Louis was far better. So they made a big spectacle out of it and millions heard that our Max literally cried from the Brown Bomber’s powerful body shot.

But yeah, the government acts like a child. Hope these guys don’t get nukes.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
Magnate wrote:

Yeah, it’s probably embarrassing to lose to a jew. They’re just preventing the feeling the Nazi’s got when Jesse Owens whipped their asses. Hell at least the Nazi’s had the balls to try.

mike[/quote]

Of the qualities to like about the Nazis (I can’t think of many), I would not choose their motivation and competitive spirit.

Damn…!

Who’s gonna’ push Michael Phelps NOW???

Mufasa

They’re being asses about it, alright.

But it’s not exactly newsworthy, now is it? It’s not like they just implemented this policy yesterday.

[quote]lixy wrote:

But it’s not exactly newsworthy, now is it? It’s not like they just implemented this policy yesterday.[/quote]

Far from newsworthy, but with internet articles plenty of not newsworthy things are published.

I for one, was unaware of this policy until I saw this article today, so there’s at least 1 person that learned something :slight_smile:

[quote]Magnate wrote:
lixy wrote:

But it’s not exactly newsworthy, now is it? It’s not like they just implemented this policy yesterday.

Far from newsworthy, but with internet articles plenty of not newsworthy things are published.

I for one, was unaware of this policy until I saw this article today, so there’s at least 1 person that learned something :)[/quote]

Make that 2. Although I’m not entirely surprised that the Iranian Government would want to be racist.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
Magnate wrote:

mike[/quote]

The Germans actually had a lot of respect for Jesse Owens, while his own country treated him like shit. He also wore Nazi made track shoes during the olympics and later had a street named after him.

Here is a quote from Owens (in response to a fabricated story that Hitler had refused to shake his hand): “Hitler didn’t snub me-it was (FDR) who snubbed me. The president didn’t even send me a telegram.”

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
Magnate wrote:

mike[/quote]

On reports that Hitler had deliberately avoided acknowledging his victories, and had refused to shake his hand, Owens recounted:[6]

Jesse Owens on the podium after winning the long jump at the 1936 Summer Olympics “When I passed the Chancellor he arose, waved his hand at me, and I waved back at him. I think the writers showed bad taste in criticizing the man of the hour in Germany.”

He also stated:[7]

“Hitler didn’t snub me-it was FDR who snubbed me. The president didn’t even send me a telegram.”

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:
Magnate wrote:

mike

The Germans actually had a lot of respect for Jesse Owens, while his own country treated him like shit. He also wore Nazi made track shoes during the olympics and later had a street named after him.

Here is a quote from Owens (in response to a fabricated story that Hitler had refused to shake his hand): “Hitler didn’t snub me-it was (FDR) who snubbed me. The president didn’t even send me a telegram.”

[/quote]
I did not know that. Besides, there’s no love lost for FDR from my corner. Worst president ever.

mike

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:
Magnate wrote:

mike

I did not know that. Besides, there’s no love lost for FDR from my corner. Worst president ever.

mike [/quote]

Agreed. if you can call him that. More like a king…who couldnt even walk

On second thought, maybe FDR was jsut tryin to be nice and not give Jesse Owens polio

[quote]lixy wrote:

But it’s not exactly newsworthy, now is it? It’s not like they just implemented this policy yesterday.[/quote]

No, but it is just yet another example of muslim arrogance and stupidity. I wish all there athletes withdraw so they continue to look as stupid as they are.
Actually, I want them to compete a lose to either an Israeli or an American Jew.

[quote]pat wrote:
I wish all there athletes withdraw so they continue to look as stupid as they are. [/quote]

I don’t how “stupid” that makes them look, but your spelling isn’t making you look smart at all.

That’s the most likely outcome anyway.

But I’m not sure why you precise “Jew”. Surely, you must realize that Iranian Jews compete for their country as well. Anyone remember Soleyman Binafard?

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat wrote:
I wish all there athletes withdraw so they continue to look as stupid as they are.

I don’t how “stupid” that makes them look, but your spelling isn’t making you look smart at all.

Actually, I want them to compete a lose to either an Israeli or an American Jew.

But I’m not sure why you precise “Jew”. Surely, you must realize that Iranian Jews compete for their country as well. Anyone remember Soleyman Binafard?[/quote]

Because you muslims hate Jews…So I think it’s funny when Jewish folks beat your lot in competition. And I am guessing that’s why that Iranian fag copped out, because he knew he was going to lose and he was too much of a pussy to take it like a man.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat wrote:
I wish all there athletes withdraw so they continue to look as stupid as they are.

[/quote]

And your platitudes have never done you any favors.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat wrote:

But I’m not sure why you precise “Jew”. Surely, you must realize that Iranian Jews compete for their country as well. Anyone remember Soleyman Binafard?[/quote]

That was before Khomeini and the current regime ran them all out of the country.

Everyone on this board knows how much Jew paranoia there is in the Qur’an, lixy, so you’re not fooling anyone. With that, I’ll bump the “Jews as depicted in teh Qur’an” thread.

[quote]pat wrote:
Because you muslims hate Jews… [/quote]

See, that’s the kind of statement that make one look stupid.

And not only because of the childish generalization. As far as I know, Christians are still way ahead in terms of persecuting and killing Jews. But don’t let facts get in your way…

I don’t see why you would consider it “funny”, but driven youth succeeding in their field is always laudable.

Yeah, it’s got nothing to do with some retarded policy his country has implemented. It’s because “he was too much of a pussy” who couldn’t “take it like a man”.

Incidentally, what’s with the blatant homophobia?