Olmert: Attack on Iran baseless rumor
Mon, 02 Apr 2007 08:49:06
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has dismissed as baseless suggestions that Israel is working with the United States in drawing up plans for conflict with Iran.
“Declarations that there is an American plan to strike Iran is not familiar to me, and is a baseless rumor,” Olmert told a news conference in al-Quds on Sunday.
“I hope no one takes action based on baseless rumors,” he added.
Standing alongside German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Olmert, who is a target of criticism for the regime’s military fiasco during the war on Lebanon last summer, insisted Israel had no plan for a fresh conflict in the region.
“Israel is not planning an attack and does not wish for (another) war,” he said.
Olmert’s comments followed a briefing given to the Israeli cabinet earlier Sunday by military intelligence chief Amos Yadlin in which he insisted that the regime had no intention of waging another conflict in the region.
Olmert and Israeli minister Amir Peretz have been under mounting public pressure to resign over the government’s handling of last year’s 33-day war against Hezbollah in southern Lebanon.
About 70 Israeli politicians and military officials, including Olmert, have testified before the Winograd committee under pressure from thousands of military reservists who demanded a full-scale inquiry into the war.
The Israeli regime has been internationally criticized for the devastating use of firepower in Lebanon, where more than 1,200 people, the vast majority civilians and about one-third of them children, were killed.
? Press TV 2007. All Rights Reserved.