Iran: In Trump's Crosshairs

@Loppar and @Jewbacca;

There probably are no better Intelligence Services than those of Israel…they depend on them for their very survival…

But Netanyahu is starting to sound like Colin Powell selling going to War with Iraq, complete with pictures and graphs…

It’s not that I don’t believe the intelligence…and I know that Israel will respond for Her survival, not based on “World Opinion”. It just scares me that we are closer to War with Iran than I imagined.

Thoughts?

We’d kick their ass…
They look like Persian Bloods.

Agree…

But what we learned (hopefully) in Iraq (and even Vietnam) is that we are a Hellacious Offensive Force…the best the World has ever seen…but just don’t have the manpower and resources to be an occupying one once ground is taken.

(Thoughts on this, @anon50325502 and others whom have been, or are in, the Military?)

It’s spot on imo and another thing to consider is that once we become an occupier (something none of the branches are designed for) the rules of engagement hamstring our service members.

2 Likes

We did a good job in Germany and Japan. The issue is that occupying a country is not the same as defeating or pacifying it.

Never a great analogy, @zecarlo, for two important reasons:

1. We essentially reduced each country to rubble and

2. We completely neutralized both Country’s War Making Capacity.

That type of complete and utter destruction is not even contemplated. That type of void in the Middle East would be disastrous.

And what do you think we did to Iraq? It’s military was crushed and it had no way of waging war.

If we actually stuck to our principles, the Kurds would have more than welcomed us as liberators and accepted our aid in building a nation for them.

The differences between Japan/Germany and the Middle East are not related to military matters but cultural. Arabs don’t forget.

1 Like

You’re off with this one, Zecarlo.
The comparisons are not even close.

The end-Goal for Germany and Japan was utter and complete destruction, including both Military and Civilian infrastructure. In fact; during WW-II; we attempted to make distinctions between military and civilian targets early on, until it became apparent that they were often interconnected. Firebombing of Germany and Japan was meant to not only completely eliminate the ability to fight…but the will to fight…civilian and military alike. As an example…something like 98% of Tokyo was Firebombed to cinders.

That type of complete and utter destruction was never our goal in Iraq.

None of that is relevant. You said we were not a good occupation force when not only have we been but even now, if you were to include South Korea, still can be.

The Japanese would have willingly continued to resist had the Emperor wished it.

The problem in Iraq was that the will to fight can’t be eliminated. Look at the Middle East, we don’t need to be there for there to be fighting.

We will have to agree to disagree.

And that’s okay!

I think you do agree with me. We have failed as an occupying force and succeeded as an occupying force. The key is knowing beforehand if you will be successful. Sun Tzu said that victorious warriors win first, then go to war.

Now more than ever this is relevant. Anyone think we’re going to attack Iran in the near future? Who’s to blame? Who was the belligerent party, US or Iran? Who more so? Chicken and egg deal on this going back decades?

I don’t think public sentiment supports going to war over a Japanese oil tanker attacked in foreign waters - an attack that resulted in no casualties and no significant damage. I don’t even think there’s support within Trump’s base.

That said, Trump’s back is against the wall. He’s the subject of numerous investigations, the Mueller investigation was only one of them. The only thing protecting him from indictment is the presidency. He and his family are extremely vulnerable if he’s not re-elected in 2020, and poll numbers in battleground states look bad. He may do something crazy like launch an attack against Iran out of desperation. After all, W showed us “war presidents” get re-elected, right?

2 Likes

Saudi Arabia is to blame.

Ok, everyone was ripping on Obama during the whole red line fiasco. what’s the opinion on Trump ordering an attack then cancelling it then telling everyone about it? I thought it was wrong to tell the world our war plans…anyway, I’m glad we are not going to war again. This would be way worse than Iraq and look at the problems THAT caused with the occupation, the terrorism and the creation and spread of ISIS. Why do we need a new conflict at this time? Because of up coming elections?

It’s just a normal day with Trump. He orders things or has his administration prep things and then does the opposite. See North Korea sanctions.

He just got done doing the same thing with ICE raids. Told everyone it was coming before it happened.

I don’t think we will go to war with Iran. Unless all Trumps advisors say don’t and one of them tells everyone we aren’t going to war. Then Trump will probably do it. I also think war with Iran doesn’t go with the America First idea. Unless it was just something where their was no real debate about being in a war.

Of course we need to ignore our 51st state Afghanistan in that discussion.

1 Like

I doubt he ordered anything.

And I don’t think Trump will get approval to go to war.

1 Like

Make no mistake, folks…

This is ALL being driven by John “Obama-is-Weak/Wally the Walrus” Bolton.

For eight years, this man railed on the weakness of President Obama, and all of the Strategic mistakes he made…and of course giving his take on what “should” have been done…

He literally LIVED at Fox…

I personally have little patience for the man.

God help us if he ends up convincing Trump to be “tough”…

And we start seeing daily flights of C-5’s full of dead young American’s again…

Yep. He’s a POS. Shouldn’t be anywhere near any policy decision.

4 Likes