T Nation

Iran Enters New Nuclear Phase

Here we go:
Iran can now produce nuclear fuel on an industrial scale, President Ahmadinejad has announced, in a move likely to further strain tensions with the West

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6538957.stm

Iran has reached “industrial level” nuclear production, Ahmadinejad says
? Iranian president says program to be used for “expansion of peace and stability”
? Iran could reconsider Non-Proliferation Treaty membership, chief negotiator warns
? U.S. State Department spokesman says Iran is defying international community

Iran has succeeded in development to attain production at an industrial level," said Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, addressing an audience at the Natanz nuclear facility as part of a ceremony marking the anniversary of the start of uranium enrichment at the plant.

“With great pride, I announce that as of today, our dear country, Iran, is among the countries of the world that produces the industrial level of nuclear fuel.”

Ahmadinejad vowed the fuel would be used for energy, “and for the expansion of peace and stability.”

He added that the goal of “progress” for Iran was “irreversible.”

Earlier, Iranian nuclear chief Gholamreza Aghazadeh said: “We have gathered, thanking Almighty God for the introduction of the uranium enrichment program to the industrial phase, and once again we thank Almighty God for allowing us to attain industrial enrichment plans.”

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/04/09/iran.ahmadinejad/index.html

For all we know, it’s a bluff on Iran’s part, or spin from the Bush Team, who seemingly wants to ramp up tensions… Note the “unnamed sources”. If this was totally credible the sources would not be secret.

For all we know, Iran is bluffing, the same way that North Korea successfully bluffed Bush on their capability.

And by the way, Bush finally went back to President Clinton’s Agreed Framework with North Korea, after 6 years of failure. Threats didn’t work with North Korea, and all signs indicate that it’s not working with Iran, either. If this story is to be believed, Iran has accelerated their program in response to Bush’s threats, which is exactly opposite of the result that we want.

A smart person would use tactics that work. Diplomacy works… Bush talking and acting tough doesn’t work.

[quote]Brad61 wrote:
For all we know, it’s a bluff on Iran’s part, or spin from the Bush Team, who seemingly wants to ramp up tensions… Note the “unnamed sources”. If this was totally credible the sources would not be secret.

For all we know, Iran is bluffing, the same way that North Korea successfully bluffed Bush on their capability.

And by the way, Bush finally went back to President Clinton’s Agreed Framework with North Korea, after 6 years of failure. Threats didn’t work with North Korea, and all signs indicate that it’s not working with Iran, either. If this story is to be believed, Iran has accelerated their program in response to Bush’s threats, which is exactly opposite of the result that we want.

A smart person would use tactics that work. Diplomacy works… Bush talking and acting tough doesn’t work.
[/quote]

Wait, how is Bush’s approach to N. Korea failure? You just said N. Korea has agreed to resume talks about halting it’s nuclear weapons program.

Second, about Iran, how is it possible spin on Bush’s part? That’s Iran announcing this.

Damn…I thought the sites had been nuked out by the new bunker busters we’ve got.

I JUST missed years ago getting a job at White Sands (NM) and could have been in on developing all the ‘toys’ soon to be introduced into Iran. Bummer…

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Wait, how is Bush’s approach to N. Korea failure? You just said N. Korea has agreed to resume talks about halting it’s nuclear weapons program.[/quote]

After six years of bluster and threats, Bush finally agreed to return to using Clinton’s guidelines with North Korea (the Agreed Framework). But the Bush people did nothing but bitch about the old Agreed Framework situation, saying it was a bust and terrible for America (which was wrong-headed IMO… seems to me like the Agreed Framework is a pretty decent compromise on both sides).

When you finally cave in and agree to do something that you just spent 6-plus years bitterly complaining about, I would say that’s a failure. Bush’s approach failed so he is resuming Clinton’s approach.

[quote]
Second, about Iran, how is it possible spin on Bush’s part? That’s Iran announcing this.[/quote]

Bush seems to want to increase the tension with Iran. As an example, Tony Blair asked Bush to tone down his rhetoric during their hostage crisis, and the reports are that Bush offered to take military action on the Brit’s behalf (which Blair dismissed, obviously). Bush is apparently trying to pick a fight. Under other circumstances, if a country claims nuclear capabilities that they don’t have, that claim might get dismissed by the Pentagon. It would be spin if Bush’s people were just repeating a false claim from Iran, in order to keep tensions high, rather than dismissing claims if they knew them to be bogus.

I guess that’s a little roundabout, but that was my thinking.

[quote]Brad61 wrote:

For all we know, Iran is bluffing, the same way that North Korea successfully bluffed Bush on their capability.[/quote]

They detonated a nuclear weapon, how is that a bluff?

You missed one little thing, the Agreed Framework has been failing for 13 yrs., not six. Both sides signed, neither followed through with any great zeal.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2003/05/12/342316/

KEDO’s first director, Stephen Bosworth, later commented “The Agreed Framework was a political orphan within two weeks after its signature”.

Ahmadinejad seems to pull it off pretty well. The UN has tried being diplomatic, if this isn’t a bluff, then diplomacy is clearly not working. While Bush’s actions aren’t beyond all culpability, you act as though Iran is being completely accommodating about this and they clearly are not.

[quote]lucasa wrote:
They detonated a nuclear weapon, how is that a bluff? [/quote]

If you mean North Korea, their tests were judged to be a flop by our people. If you mean Iran, they currently do not have the capability to detonate a weapon.

I don’t think Ahmadinejad is totally credible, and I don’t think Bush is totally credible, either. It sucks to have a president who you don’t find credible but that’s actually a pretty mainstream opinion in America, if you can believe the polls:

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/2006/12/poll-bush-not-trustworthy-doesnt-share.html