IQ Test Results

[quote]on edge wrote:
My seven year old son was administered an IQ test last week. We got the results back yesterday an have an appointment to talk about them tomorrow. I’m kind of ticked off because I’m pretty sure they didn’t administer the test properly.

The test was broken into four sections and his scores in the four areas were as follows; 92 percentile, 79, 7 & 2 percentile. He’s never had any head trauma nor does he have any chromosomal disorders. I look at these results and I see a kid who clearly quit the test. Yet, from what I understand, they already have plans to have him work with biofeedback tools to get him to better utilize certain parts of his brain.

I think they should be more interested in retesting the low sections to at least confirm that he didn’t get burned out. After all, the test took around two hours with only short breaks between each section. I realize I may just be too stubborn to believe my son has some severe intellectual deficiencies, but I also think it’s legitimate to be suspicious of such discrepancies. What the heck do you guys think?[/quote]

Given the spread in scores across categories, I would probably wonder whether the IQ of the test proctors weren’t more cause for worry than your son’s. Find a better psychometrician and get a 2nd opinion.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
Kreal7 wrote:
I’m just curious, why did you have your son take an IQ test at 7 years old?

I was under the assumption IQ tests were for adults.

you are thinking of cigarettes, alcohol and strip clubs.[/quote]

I loled. Just so you know.

I know I had to take an IQ test at 9 or so as part of entrance exams into a private school, could be a similar reason.

Also I took one more recently and after awhile I was pretty burnt out and didn’t really care anymore - I don’t know why nobody would realize that to be the case for your kid.

[quote]streamline wrote:
belligerent wrote:
how about don’t let the mental health people touch your kids in the first place

X2[/quote]

Too late, obviously. But be careful, they are trained to find irregularities and irregularities they will find.

My appointment today is cancelled due to heavy snow. I’ll have to wait to talk with them about the results.

My advice would be to go into the meeting with an open mind but plenty of questions.

They are the suposed experts and having them onside will help to get the best out of your kids education. If you just storm in and tell them their test is BS then you have put a wall up. If you ask intelligent questions they should respond in a positive way.

I know nothing about this type of testing but from my scientific background I would wonder what the scores would be if they repeated the test but reversed the order of the sections.

If you get the same scores for the sections then it is likely that the scores for those sections are valid. If you get a repeat of the diminishing result over time then it seems you are right and attention span is the issue.

I actually can account for this because my parents thought I had trouble at reading comprehesion as my testing scores were something like 99 95 87 20 percentile on a standardized test with the last part being reading comp.

I got bored and didn’t want to test anymore, it was too long. With the 7 and 2 percentile results, it is more likely than not that he just gave up and just wanted to get it over with. Nothing wrong with getting him checked again to make sure but I’m not so sure about having them try to work on those parts of the brain that he seemed to lack skills in.

IQ tests are age appropriate so they apply to all ages. I’ve had the results for tons of my kids that I work with and in all honesty, the seem to be very accurate.

well since this thread has been revived…

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
on edge wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
streamline wrote:
How do you IQ test someone who’s brain is still developing. Since brains do not develope the same way in any two individuals. I am very interested in child psychology, this is a waste of time.

If you go to the interview. I would suggest you question the validity of the test. Who designed it and who sponsored it. As well as the reason for administrating it in the first place.

The retards that give these tests have zero idea what they are doing. Very few parents will understand the insignificance of these tests. Many however will start to treat their childern differently and this is not a good thing.

you expect him to walk in and question the validity of the test…by what means? he doesnt know a thing about these tests. im sure these “retards” who desgined it know a bit more about it than he or you do.

Absolutely I’m going to question the validity of it, or at least the way it was administered. When they see a huge drop off from one section to another, especially with a young child whose attention span may be short, they should stop the test and resume later. Stopping the test was an option. I know it was because the woman administering it said “we’ll see if we can get through it in one session”.

Also, I’m not certain, but my impression is the first section was the 92 and each section got lower. That may be just a coincidence but it looks like diminishing interest to me.

and what are you going to make of what they tell you? do you have a background in childhood development, psychology, or medicine? if you dont think your kid is the level of intelligence the test says he is you dont have to believe it. so long as he makes good grades i dont see what difference it makes either way. im just saying you may bite off a little more than you can chew trying to argue with these people.

i understand everyone thinks that since they know more than the average personal trainer they should question every single method out there but the people who develop these tests didnt do a 2 week course, they probaly went to school for 10 years.
[/quote]

listen to what Live has to say here.
never, ever question authority.
:wink:

My advice…give your son 30 minutes of logic problems every day. Sudoku for example is excellent. Or buy him a nintendo DS lite and get the brain training series of games. I myself have an average IQ of 125. sometimes I get 110, sometimes over 130 depending on how stressed I am…all MENSA approved.

His brain is still developing but in order to do so he needs brain stimulus via logic problems. No need for piracetam or other Nootropics for now. He could feel stressed out knowing that he’s under test. All of the above IQ numbers I hit where at home in front of my computer…

When I had an interview and had the friggin manager breathing on my neck the whole 20 friggin minutes I just quit the test. I have a diploma in electronics and engineering maths is one of my favourite subjects by the way…and get merits-distinctions normally…

My 0.002 cents