T Nation

Ipods Make You a Genius

NOT!

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/raskin/18019

The world is getting too into their ipods. Just read a book, do some hands on learning, or go back to school. They do not make you smarter. They are just what people think they are for: music, videos, pictures, and podcasts. But there are MP3 players that cost less and do the same thing even better. Wow, ipods are getting really annoying now. Thanks so fucking much Steve Jobs.

That article was terrible, however, I still like my iPod.

I had an iRiver. The software that came with it sucked real bad. Windows media player was supposed to interface with it, but that didn’t work very well either (I had codec converting issues, crashes … etc.) The player itself was pretty good, though. It had a built in microphone, it could record from the radio and encode it as mp3, it supported the OGG format … etc. It sucked to use, though. It was difficult to scroll through your music. The “control stick” was flakey. Basically, it was not easy to use.

I now have an, get ready for it, iPod Nano. Does it do less than a lot of other players? Yeah. Is it easier to use than a lot of other players? Yeah. The way it interfaces with iTunes is wonderful, and the way iTunes works is wonderful. I additionally enjoy the music store.

It’s the whole package, not just the player.

get an ipod hack book, or google ipod hacks their’s so much shit u can do with them its ridiculous.

hacked psp + hacked ipod + 100 games = win

the tool is only as good as the person using it.

my ipod new 160gig ipod

• ridiculous music library, from yo yo ma to run dmc
  • pimsleuer and rosetta stone language courses
  • gold medal mental training for combat athletes
  • books ‘on tape’ from “Battlefield earth” to “The vampire lestat”, Halo, “The audacity of hope”, etc…
  • 24 hr bible, james earl jones reads the bible, etc
  • Lectures of various speakers i’ve recorded from my digital hand recorder, school, religious, political, aaron mcgruder is my personal fave.
  • batman begins, spawn, hellboy, revolver, man on fire, training day, bad boys II, outlaw josey wales, madagascar :-p
  • couple tv episodes (prison break, the shield, boondocks)
  • assorted fights, MMA instructionals & clips, randy couture, mike van arsdale, eddie bravo, etc.
  • a couple games to play downloaded from itunes.com, basic stuff, pacman, tetris, etc
  • 2 or 3 podcasts

I agree if you’re gonna put 400 songs on your ipod and thats it…then you can go get just about any mp3 player out the market, maybe buy a high capacity sdcard and cal it a day.

but dont fault the ipod jus cause some people dont use it to its full extent.

I am not saying the ipod is bad or anything, I am just saying that it is taking over some peoples lives. There are so many things for the ipod now that are useless, for two reasons: there was already something like that made, but somehow everyone forgot about it and made something new, and they try to use the ipod to do everything.

Sometimes, people judge you by your ipod or the music you have on it. Ipods are convenient MP3 players, they are compatible with a lot of programs and hardware, and they are popular, but that doesnt mean that everything new needs to revovle around the ipod. How about instead keep your ipod and life separate and use it to entertain but not to control everything.

So, you read Yahoo, and expect quality? Get a clue!

For what it’s worth, my iPod runs Linux. So there’s virtually very little it can’t do.

[quote]lixy wrote:
For what it’s worth, my iPod runs Linux. So there’s virtually very little it can’t do.[/quote]

OMGWTF RLY?!!?1?!?!111

I got to the gym and found my iPod’s battery was dead. Hardest workout ever!!!

[quote]lixy wrote:

For what it’s worth, my iPod runs Linux. So there’s virtually very little it can’t do.[/quote]

Can it get you to join another website?

I can see that people are misunderstanding what I a saying. Just three things: Yahoo may suck but that is not the point, its that fact that anyone actually took time to write that article, people are too centered around their ipods, and they should make something that is much better (and cheaper) than the ipod instead on focusing on making it better which leads to make it more expensive that it should be.

[quote]lixy wrote:

you mean you have linux on your ipod, or your linux os can handle your ipod? Becuase if you are talking about your linux os handling your ipod, i’m not impressed, thats simple. If you actually have linux on your ipod, you’re gonna have to explain that.

[quote]Jacked Diesel wrote:
lixy wrote:

For what it’s worth, my iPod runs Linux. So there’s virtually very little it can’t do.

you mean you have linux on your ipod, or your linux os can handle your ipod? Becuase if you are talking about your linux os handling your ipod, i’m not impressed, thats simple. If you actually have linux on your ipod, you’re gonna have to explain that. [/quote]

[quote]lixy wrote:
Jacked Diesel wrote:
lixy wrote:

you mean you have linux on your ipod, or your linux os can handle your ipod? Becuase if you are talking about your linux os handling your ipod, i’m not impressed, thats simple. If you actually have linux on your ipod, you’re gonna have to explain that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPodLinux [/quote]

aside from the emulator i see no benefit of doing this

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
people are too centered around their ipods, and they should make something that is much better (and cheaper) than the ipod instead on focusing on making it better which leads to make it more expensive that it should be.[/quote]

Wait, so a) we’re all way too obsessed with our iPods and the world revolves around iPods and all that, and b) they should make something better and cheaper than the iPod?

What was your point again? They should something better and cheaper instead of focusing on making it better and therefore more expensive? I thought we were allready using them too much…

People are using them too much. What I am simply saying is that people need to stop becoming so obsessed with iPods, and they need to focus on making something better and cheaper. But then people should not become obsessed with that invention either. Use technology as a form of assistance not sustinence.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
get an ipod hack book, or google ipod hacks their’s so much shit u can do with them its ridiculous.

hacked psp + hacked ipod + 100 games = win

the tool is only as good as the person using it.

my ipod new 160gig ipod

• ridiculous music library, from yo yo ma to run dmc
  • pimsleuer and rosetta stone language courses
  • gold medal mental training for combat athletes
  • books ‘on tape’ from “Battlefield earth” to “The vampire lestat”, Halo, “The audacity of hope”, etc…
  • 24 hr bible, james earl jones reads the bible, etc
  • Lectures of various speakers i’ve recorded from my digital hand recorder, school, religious, political, aaron mcgruder is my personal fave.
  • batman begins, spawn, hellboy, revolver, man on fire, training day, bad boys II, outlaw josey wales, madagascar :-p
  • couple tv episodes (prison break, the shield, boondocks)
  • assorted fights, MMA instructionals & clips, randy couture, mike van arsdale, eddie bravo, etc.
  • a couple games to play downloaded from itunes.com, basic stuff, pacman, tetris, etc
  • 2 or 3 podcasts

I agree if you’re gonna put 400 songs on your ipod and thats it…then you can go get just about any mp3 player out the market, maybe buy a high capacity sdcard and cal it a day.

but dont fault the ipod jus cause some people dont use it to its full extent.
[/quote]

How did you get Rosetta Stone on there?

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
People are using them too much. What I am simply saying is that people need to stop becoming so obsessed with iPods, and they need to focus on making something better and cheaper. But then people should not become obsessed with that invention either. Use technology as a form of assistance not sustinence.[/quote]

OK, I think I got it now. First stop using them so much, then make them better and cheaper. K.

Ipods are awesome, got a shuffle for 10$, been using it for a year, its sick!

torrents mang

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
torrents mang[/quote]

Pardon my tech-ignorance but I’ve tried downloading some torrents for the Japanese and Spanish versions. I ended up being able to install the Japanese version, but it could not load the language program.

The Spanish one did not work at all.

Also, I have no idea how I would upload them on my Ipod, assuming I can get them to work.