T Nation

Ipod Opinions

I was considering buying an ipod after Christmas, so i can primarily listen to some tunes in the gym. I want to get some opinons on what you guys have if you use them in the gym or wherver. I have my eye on the 3rd generation ipod nano, but ive heard som good and bad shit about them.

All i need really is a small ipod that could listen to while i workout that wont get the way when i workout. Preferably 4-8Gb.

Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas

I’ve only seen one and it works. I’ve got the second generation Ipod Nano and I’m holding off on upgrading until the IPhone 2 comes out and my cell contract is up.

Cnet.com is the best place to get up-to-date reviews on stuff like this. Don’t get a shuffle unless you want to make a new playlist every day.

I’d suggest buying one of the new iPod Nano’s.

Honestly, iPod Nano only gets attention because of it’s big brother. There are better alternatives if you are looking for price - features ratio.

The Sansa is the same size as the Nano, save for a tiny bit more thickness (hardly any). It has a larger screen. It can play video, has a built in radio tuner, can instantly record radio with the outside button, a user replaceable battery, and has a built in microphone.

No, these things are not necessary for the gym. However

the Sansa is $50 cheaper.

I’m getting an iPod Touch on Wednesday. Coolest damn gadget ever.

I honestly don’t see why you’d need 4-8GB for gym use. 1GB is enough to give you a week’s worth of music for the gym. 1GB is usually about 250 songs, which is usually about 12-16 hours of music. I don’t know your training schedule, but even with 2 hour sessions/ 5x a week, you’ll still have hours of music unheard.

Personally, I think the Shuffle is the ideal choice for the gym. It gives you enough music for 1 week of trips to the gym. So, once a week you change your playlist(if you care to hear all new music…) It weighs nothing, takes up no room, clips to your shirt, it’s sturdy and best of all, it’s dirt cheap. You can get them used for $30-50.

Also, the battery life is ~24 hours, meaning you can keep it in your gym bag(or wallet… they are small enough), until you decide to change the playlists

I can understand wanting to select, specifically, what you are listening to. But, for me, using an iPod in the gym has always been more of a distraction than anything else. Pre-planning the playlists falls roughly into the same organizational smarts as pre-planning food, workouts, post-workouts, pre-workouts…etc.

I think we can all agree that “workout music” is almost a genre of its own. Whatever types of music you listen to or prefer, undoubtedly, you enjoy certain songs more than others for working out to. It is easy to make playlists of workout music, and then you don’t need to fiddle with the iPod while you’re at the gym.

just my thoughts. A lot of people are staunchly against shuffles because they don’t have a screen, but honestly, that’s their best feature, given what they do.

Zens and Zunes might be fine for your needs. They review well for their cost.

[quote]Squiggles wrote:
Honestly, iPod Nano only gets attention because of it’s big brother. There are better alternatives if you are looking for price - features ratio.

The Sansa is the same size as the Nano, save for a tiny bit more thickness (hardly any). It has a larger screen. It can play video, has a built in radio tuner, can instantly record radio with the outside button, a user replaceable battery, and has a built in microphone.

No, these things are not necessary for the gym. However

the Sansa is $50 cheaper. [/quote]

I just didn’t like the sound quality on them. But I don’t just use my iPod at the gym.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’m getting an iPod Touch on Wednesday. Coolest damn gadget ever.

[/quote]

Coolest gadget? I don’t like them. Sure, the whole touch screen/WiFi thing is nice, but it also only holds 8GB or 16GB of media and that’s not enough for me. The new iPod’s (non-touch) hold 80GB or 160GB and aren’t that expensive. If I was you, and really wanted an iPod Touch, i’d wait until the iPhone 2’s came out with 16GB memory and a faster WiFi connection and just get that.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
rainjack wrote:
I’m getting an iPod Touch on Wednesday. Coolest damn gadget ever.

Coolest gadget? I don’t like them. Sure, the whole touch screen/WiFi thing is nice, but it also only holds 8GB or 16GB of media and that’s not enough for me. The new iPod’s (non-touch) hold 80GB or 160GB and aren’t that expensive. If I was you, and really wanted an iPod Touch, i’d wait until the iPhone 2’s came out with 16GB memory and a faster WiFi connection and just get that.[/quote]

My computer’s hard drive isn’t big enough to store a library that would fill the 160GB Ipod. I’d have to go by that godforsaken Ipod store again and buy a $500 external 160GB Hard Drive to have a hope in hell of filling that.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
rainjack wrote:
I’m getting an iPod Touch on Wednesday. Coolest damn gadget ever.

Coolest gadget? I don’t like them. Sure, the whole touch screen/WiFi thing is nice, but it also only holds 8GB or 16GB of media and that’s not enough for me. The new iPod’s (non-touch) hold 80GB or 160GB and aren’t that expensive. If I was you, and really wanted an iPod Touch, i’d wait until the iPhone 2’s came out with 16GB memory and a faster WiFi connection and just get that.[/quote]

I won’t get an iPhone if they are contracted with ATT. 16gig, hell 8 gig is plenty of fucking space for music - more than any logical person can listen to in a single day. My dick is big enough - I don’t need to compensate with 80 gigs of HDD.

I had one it broke for no apparent reason. I don’t really like ipods and after the Iphone commercials I probubly won’t buy another apple product ever. One commercial literally says its the greatest advancement in mankind and another one says you can’t live with out one. They’re overpriced and they just remind me of some useless thing a teenage girl would want just because all her friends have one.

[quote]ss847859 wrote:
I had one it broke for no apparent reason. I don’t really like ipods and after the Iphone commercials I probubly won’t buy another apple product ever. One commercial literally says its the greatest advancement in mankind and another one says you can’t live with out one. They’re overpriced and they just remind me of some useless thing a teenage girl would want just because all her friends have one.[/quote]

I’ll let you know just how damn cool the touch is tomorrow. I can’t wait. I’m going to walk around the mall all day just faux-surfing, and making everyone jealous.

I can’t wait.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I won’t get an iPhone if they are contracted with ATT. 16gig, hell 8 gig is plenty of fucking space for music - more than any logical person can listen to in a single day. My dick is big enough - I don’t need to compensate with 80 gigs of HDD.
[/quote]

Why must everything come down to penis size?

And it’s not just music, it’s videos and movies, too.

That’s why I said media, not music.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’ll let you know just how damn cool the touch is tomorrow. I can’t wait. I’m going to walk around the mall all day just faux-surfing, and making everyone jealous.

I can’t wait. [/quote]

Then you’ll see all the cooler people “faux-surfing” AND talking on their’s and you won’t be so cool anymore.

Oh, and your surfing won’t be very fast… It equates to dial-up.

Enjoy.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
ss847859 wrote:
I had one it broke for no apparent reason. I don’t really like ipods and after the Iphone commercials I probubly won’t buy another apple product ever. One commercial literally says its the greatest advancement in mankind and another one says you can’t live with out one. They’re overpriced and they just remind me of some useless thing a teenage girl would want just because all her friends have one.

I’ll let you know just how damn cool the touch is tomorrow. I can’t wait. I’m going to walk around the mall all day just faux-surfing, and making everyone jealous.

I can’t wait. [/quote]

See again this is why I hate the ipods. Your not cool because you have an ipod touch. I have a cheap ass nokia phone that works and has never broken and I’m not jealous of all the fags that walk around on their iphones weighing in at 120lbs.

Seeing as your posting on T-Nation I don’t imagine you to be one of these guys…however its still gay to walk around simply to show off your new phone or ipod w/e. Leave it to the girls and the little guys that have no test, man your better then that.

I love Apple’s hardware, but iPods are seriously overrated. You’re better off getting something from Sandisk or even a generic player. They are a better investment IMHO. Ipod’s need syncing (I’m assuming you’re not into tweaking the firmware), use DRM (Ok, much less intrusively than the Zunes, but still…) and are insanely priced.

They are sexy though. You’re not a teenager, are you?

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
rainjack wrote:
I’ll let you know just how damn cool the touch is tomorrow. I can’t wait. I’m going to walk around the mall all day just faux-surfing, and making everyone jealous.

I can’t wait.

Then you’ll see all the cooler people “faux-surfing” AND talking on their’s and you won’t be so cool anymore.

Oh, and your surfing won’t be very fast… It equates to dial-up.

Enjoy.[/quote]

Dude - I am 40 some odd years old. The last thing I need is to be seen in public with earbuds jammed in my head.

I was fucking with you. I don’t care how cool it is, or isn’t. I gave up cool years ago.

I like the features of the touch. That is what I will buy.

Thanks for taking the bait hook, line, and sinker.

[quote]ss847859 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
ss847859 wrote:
I had one it broke for no apparent reason. I don’t really like ipods and after the Iphone commercials I probubly won’t buy another apple product ever. One commercial literally says its the greatest advancement in mankind and another one says you can’t live with out one. They’re overpriced and they just remind me of some useless thing a teenage girl would want just because all her friends have one.

I’ll let you know just how damn cool the touch is tomorrow. I can’t wait. I’m going to walk around the mall all day just faux-surfing, and making everyone jealous.

I can’t wait.

See again this is why I hate the ipods. Your not cool because you have an ipod touch. I have a cheap ass nokia phone that works and has never broken and I’m not jealous of all the fags that walk around on their iphones weighing in at 120lbs.

Seeing as your posting on T-Nation I don’t imagine you to be one of these guys…however its still gay to walk around simply to show off your new phone or ipod w/e. Leave it to the girls and the little guys that have no test, man your better then that.
[/quote]

Read my last post. You guys need to get out more.

I just got wireless headphones with a mp3 player built-in, haven’t tried them in the gym yet but they sound good and seem like they’ll work out nicely. Found them on ebay for a total of something around $25.