IPhone 4

I tether my iPhone for free. Saves me $70/month in internet bills. I’ll stick with my iPhone

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I tether my iPhone for free. Saves me $70/month in internet bills. I’ll stick with my iPhone[/quote]

x2.

Plus, I can sync it wirelessly along with a whole bunch of other features not even the 4G will have. Jailbreak FTW.

I tether my iPhone for free. Saves me $70/month in internet bills. I’ll stick with my iPhone[/quote]

How is the speed? I’m imagining you tethering to a laptop or desktop. Online gaming?

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

… technical info …

[/quote]

I don’t think the problem is with the iPhone or the cost of the plan. The problem lies in the quality of the network that AT&T has in place.

I love my 3G (wife hates it!) and will probably get this beast or it’s cousin that will most likely come out next year.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:

… technical info …

[/quote]

I don’t think the problem is with the iPhone or the cost of the plan. The problem lies in the quality of the network that AT&T has in place.

I love my 3G (wife hates it!) and will probably get this beast or it’s cousin that will most likely come out next year.[/quote]

I only addressed price because someone claimed that ATT was 30+ more per month than sprint…

I also have no problem with ATT as a network but I do live in a densly populated area and probably have better coverage than someone living elsewhere.

I went to the ATT store yesterday to talk to a guy about different costs/family plans and things… Well he said they stopped doing the pre orders at that ATT store after one day cause they have over 6,000 pre orders! Thats crazy. He said they will be getting in store stock so it wouldnt be necessary to pre order but I bet you’d have to get there suuuuuper early to get one. I tried the apple website but they only have the black ones available for pre order (which is the one I want) but my girl wants the white one so I’ve gotta find out if they’ll have both in their in store inventory.

.greg.

Honestly, why rush it?

[quote]whereami wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
That front facing camera is going to take sexting to a whole new level…

But yeah, it looks badass. Once my blackberry falls apart I’m going to get it.
[/quote]

It’s also going to completely ruin any chance of lying to your parents, girlfriend, or boyfriend. They can simply call you, and if they don’t believe that your “sleeping at your best friends house” or “at the game with your boys” they can simply ask you to FaceChat them. WERE SCREWED!
[/quote]

the thing is that you’ve gotta be on wifi to use the face time thing… if you’re “at the gym” then your set cause youjust say you cant get on wifi! :slight_smile:

.greg.[/quote]

The FaceTime video chat also only works iPhone 4 to iPhone 4. Plus there is still no tethering. Still no free navigation. Still AT&T only (which charges $30+ more per month than Sprint for unlimited voice/text/data).

Oh, and iAds. WFT is that all about? If I pay $200 for a phone I don’t want ads popping up all the time.

I’ve got an iPhone 3G right now, but I’ll be getting an HTC Evo when my contract expires in January (or a better Sprint phone that comes out between now and then).[/quote]

69.99 is unlimited minutes with AT&T, 20 for text and 25 for data leaves you at 115…

Sprint with an evo, 99.99 simply everything, 10 dollar 4g, 110…

I only see a five dollar difference.

If you don’t want adds, buy the app. Nothing in life is free…[/quote]

Thanks for the info. The price difference was an important potential factor in my decision, but it looks like they’re going to cost about the same.

What do you know about the GPS on the iPhone 4? That’s also important as I tend to get lost a lot.

… technical info …

[/quote]

I love my 3G (wife hates it!) and will probably get this beast or it’s cousin that will most likely come out next year.[/quote]

I only addressed price because someone claimed that ATT was 30+ more per month than sprint…

I also have no problem with ATT as a network but I do live in a densly populated area and probably have better coverage than someone living elsewhere.[/quote]

Got ya. I think I misread your dissertation :wink:

How is the speed? I’m imagining you tethering to a laptop or desktop. Online gaming?[/quote]

I tether to my laptop, but I can also use it wirelessy for creating my own WiFi spot. REally good range too.

I did a speed test on it, but using something like uTorrent I can download at 250 kbps, seen as high as 300. Though that can depend on who one is DLing from.

I don’t do online gaming, sorry

How is the speed? I’m imagining you tethering to a laptop or desktop. Online gaming?[/quote]

I tether to my laptop, but I can also use it wirelessy for creating my own WiFi spot. REally good range too.

I did a speed test on it, but using something like uTorrent I can download at 250 kbps, seen as high as 300. Though that can depend on who one is DLing from.

I don’t do online gaming, sorry[/quote]

No, that’s cool. The dl speeds give me a general idea of what to expect though.

Just get a droid. An Incredible with Verizon or the new Evo with Sprint, thats the way to go… and no I dont work for HTC.

The incredible will be antiquated fairly soon. This is verizons plan to compete with the iphone. Too bad it’s the size of a vcr

that thing does look cool but pretty freakin big

.greg.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
The incredible will be antiquated fairly soon. This is verizons plan to compete with the iphone. Too bad it’s the size of a vcr

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/15/exclusive-motorola-droid-x-preview/[/quote]

I’ve personally never liked Motorolla’s, and that is no exception. Way to big for a phone.

The latest HTC phones are nice (Especially the Desire here in the UK), but currently the iPhone has the hardware advantage IMO. Yes there are faster phones, but battery life is also import - as are looks, to a certain degree (but should not be one of the main reasons to buy a phone).

Now don’t get me wrong, I strongly dislike Apple and Sir Jobs, but they have a complete package with their iPhone. I won’t be buying any more because of the limited updates each model gets, lack of Flash, and general uncustomizability of the device. I’ll stick with my 3G until something truly better comes along, i.e. Android or Windows Phone 7.

The competition needs to slow down a little so they can make one or two REALLY GOOD phones.

[quote]whereami wrote:

[quote]whereami wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
That front facing camera is going to take sexting to a whole new level…

But yeah, it looks badass. Once my blackberry falls apart I’m going to get it.
[/quote]

It’s also going to completely ruin any chance of lying to your parents, girlfriend, or boyfriend. They can simply call you, and if they don’t believe that your “sleeping at your best friends house” or “at the game with your boys” they can simply ask you to FaceChat them. WERE SCREWED!
[/quote]

the thing is that you’ve gotta be on wifi to use the face time thing… if you’re “at the gym” then your set cause youjust say you cant get on wifi! :slight_smile:

.greg.[/quote]

The FaceTime video chat also only works iPhone 4 to iPhone 4. Plus there is still no tethering. Still no free navigation. Still AT&T only (which charges $30+ more per month than Sprint for unlimited voice/text/data).

Oh, and iAds. WFT is that all about? If I pay $200 for a phone I don’t want ads popping up all the time.

I’ve got an iPhone 3G right now, but I’ll be getting an HTC Evo when my contract expires in January (or a better Sprint phone that comes out between now and then).[/quote]

69.99 is unlimited minutes with AT&T, 20 for text and 25 for data leaves you at 115…

Sprint with an evo, 99.99 simply everything, 10 dollar 4g, 110…

I only see a five dollar difference.

If you don’t want adds, buy the app. Nothing in life is free…[/quote]

Thanks for the info. The price difference was an important potential factor in my decision, but it looks like they’re going to cost about the same.

What do you know about the GPS on the iPhone 4? That’s also important as I tend to get lost a lot.[/quote]

Well the only thing free on the iphone is google maps…however, when in NYC looking for a place to eat, or even traveling somewhere new on the Island, I have never been let down once with google maps, and I travel fairly frequently. You can set it as if you were in the car, on foot, or using public transportation which is nice and is good for calculating estimates for travel time and helping me make decisions on whether I am taking a cab or walking on foot etc.

I use my TomTom in the car and prefer that over any phone.

Actually checking out engadget it looks like there will be turn by turn GPS…

â?¢Background audio (think Pandora).
â?¢Background VoIP (think Skype).
â?¢Background location data, both with live GPS for backgrounded turn-by-turn, and cell tower-based for lower power draw.
â?¢Orientation lock – you can set it to always stay in portrait
â?¢Spell check (like on the iPad).
â?¢Bluetooth keyboard support (again, on the iPad).
â?¢User-defined wallpaper (a jailbreak favorite).
â?¢Tap to focus when recording video, just like with photos, and a 5x digital zoom for the camera.
â?¢Playlist creation and nested playlists
â?¢App folders for sorting apps. You can even put an app folder in the dock.
â?¢Enhanced Mail. You can have a merged inbox view, switch between inboxes quickly, and sync to more than one Exchange account. There’s also threaded messaging (at last!) and in-app attachment viewing.
â?¢iBooks, just like on iPad, only smaller. You can wirelessly sync books between platforms, a la Kindle.
â?¢Enterprise features, including remote device management and wireless app distribution.
â?¢Local notifications. Like push notifications, but sends a notification straight from the app without needing a push notification server, perfect for an alarm, for instance.
â?¢Fast app switching. Saves the state of an app and resumes it from where you left off, without dwelling in memory.

Just a list of new software features…

Articles a good read if you want to know more about the phone…And if you have the 3GS, sell it on ebay and buy this, made 275 on mine yesterday and it’s a year old…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190404999886&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

BUMP Cause the new iphone is released tomorrow… sort of?

Hey AB did you do your pre order through an apple store or an ATT store? I’m sure you heard that ATT wont be selling any Iphone4’s in their stores until the 29th and that its only first come first serve basis at the Apple stores?

The Pre Order was a good idea except they got too many pre orders and couldnt handle the volume!

.greg.

so i downloaded the new system for my 3g and thought it was gonna be super cool well its ghey. i cant do multitasking you have to have a 3gs or the new 4g to be able to multitask. that was the only damn thing i was looking forward to. I dont know what the reasoning is why the 3g doesnt get it do any of you know? I just bought the phone in feb and decided to save 100 bucks but i would have dropped it if i knew this was the case. im pissed.

[quote]fighting_fires wrote:
…I dont know what the reasoning is why the 3g doesnt get it do any of you know?..[/quote]

So they force you to buy a/the new phone instead of just continually updating your software.

.greg.