IPhlop

If you’re a tech geek you’ll splurge over Apple’s new iPhone. Spec wise its an absolute beast. Not too keen on the design but need to see good photos of it first to make up my mind.

its a true video iPod. Wide screen! No controls. Its done through proximity touching (motioning over the screen without actually touching it).

Its also a cell phone on steroids. Conference calling, video mail, wifi, bluetooth, GSM, quad band.

I’ll post more info as I read it.

More pics:

Controls like Minority Report.

Touching screen is needed sometimes? (not verified)

Video mail. Look at all the mail (voice, text, video, photo) you received and choose which one you want to listen to, watch, etc. rather than waiting to listen to them in order.

Widgets

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
More pics:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/[/quote]

Good looking out Shug!

Applegoogletube!

Google search built-in.

Apple and Google “merge without merging.”

[quote]PGA wrote:
Wide screen![/quote]

Yeah, 5 inches is really wide.

After all the hype…

Steve Jobs & Apple went even further.

Damn.

Even worse…Contract exclusive with Cingular for years. If there is no out clause for Apple this could doom it from the very start.

I hear the breaks on the train squeaking…5 hours of battery life as phone/pda/iPod. 16 hours as an iPod…

And the price…wait for it…wait…KAABOOM! TRAIN WRECK…! $599 (8gig) and $499 (4gig). Apple’s stock just dropped 98%!

[quote]pookie wrote:
PGA wrote:
Wide screen!

[/quote]

To PGA 5 inches is HUGE… :slight_smile:

[quote]pookie wrote:
PGA wrote:
Wide screen!

[/quote]

That’s what I keep telling my wife!

That’s 5 hours of talk time, I believe.

[quote]PGA wrote:

Its done through proximity touching (motioning over the screen without actually touching it).

[/quote]

I had a gf that was configured very similar.

Very cool, but unfortunately no 3G.

considering I seem to break cell phones on a weekly basis, 600$ is way too much, no matter how cool it is.

[quote]PGA wrote:
I hear the breaks on the train squeaking…5 hours of battery life as phone/pda/iPod. 16 hours as an iPod…

And the price…wait for it…wait…KAABOOM! TRAIN WRECK…! $599 (8gig) and $499 (4gig). Apple’s stock just dropped 98%![/quote]

Yeah that’s the discounted price with a 2yr contract. Both CinguAT&T and Apple need to make a buck. Remember when the POS Motorola razr came out? It was 500 with a new contract. Ugh I am dreading this thing coming out, endless calls of “you got the iphone? Dee dee dee. How come it’s so much money?” etc etc etc.

I’m just not all that sold (as I can see others on this thread are not either). Jobs (of course) hyped it to the nth degree as something that would transform telecommunications as we know it, but I just don’t see it.

Sure, the touch interface is pretty cool and I’m sure there is some nice synergy of the hardware manufacturer also handling the software (same as with Apple and their computers).

However, while the features are cool, I really don’t see this as any kind of quantum leap. Other phones play music. Other phones do Internet and contacts and such. So maybe it does a bunch of those things in a more innovative way… which is nice… but this is not game changing technology.

Sooooo… someone tell me again why this is so revolutionary and worth that ridiculous price tag?

[quote]Kuz wrote:
I’m just not all that sold (as I can see others on this thread are not either). Jobs (of course) hyped it to the nth degree as something that would transform telecommunications as we know it, but I just don’t see it.

Sure, the touch interface is pretty cool and I’m sure there is some nice synergy of the hardware manufacturer also handling the software (same as with Apple and their computers).

However, while the features are cool, I really don’t see this as any kind of quantum leap. Other phones play music. Other phones do Internet and contacts and such. So maybe it does a bunch of those things in a more innovative way… which is nice… but this is not game changing technology.

Sooooo… someone tell me again why this is so revolutionary and worth that ridiculous price tag?[/quote]

It would truly only be revolutionary if it cost no more than a PSP and that screen widened to at least 7".

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Kuz wrote:

Sooooo… someone tell me again why this is so revolutionary and worth that ridiculous price tag?

It would truly only be revolutionary if it cost no more than a PSP and that screen widened to at least 7".[/quote]

But then how would all of the Mac-addicts feel smug and superior if that happened? Because you obviously need to pay a lot more for something to be any good…

Y’all sound like the people who said the iPod would never amount to anything.