IPF Worlds 120+

I am tracking it so if anyone else is following along:

Depth has been very strict today.

Squats just finished up.

Squat of the day is easily Mafi’s 4th attempt which was a 350kg paused Squat after pausing it and missing it on his 3rd. (He was trying to get depth.)

Ray smoked a WR Squat of 478 but wasnt to depth.

1 Like

Shocking. Ray Williams won.

LOL by 98.5kg. Absolute BEAST!!!

WR Deadlift. Also won overall best lifter.

TO think what could have been had he had better depth today. HOLY FUCK!!!

I just finished watching the stream, great show, it’s too bad Kelly didn’t get his 1003 squat. I wonder what went wrong, he was so close at the Arnold, barley high. He still can’t beat Ray anytime soon, but I still want to see him do well.

Clearly Big Ray is in a class by himself. My question is why are the benches so low? If I remember right, there were only 2 guys who benched over 6; one of whom set the world record. Was it a strategy play to save energy for the deadlift? Thinking about the total instead of each individual lift?

Not many guys who compete in tested meets can bench over 600. I said this before and it started a big debate, but basically Greg Nuckols said that steroids affect the upper body more due to there being more androgen receptors in the shoulder girdle. I don’t know if what he said is true but that’s one theory. Maybe not everyone in the IPF is clean but likely those who aren’t are not going all out because otherwise they would never pass a test.

I agree with this, and I actually watched a very interesting 3-video series by Izzy from powerlifting to win about how hard it is for these top IPF guys to cheat a drug test. Links below if your interested. After watching those vids, I concluded that people who say “the IPF isn’t clean, it’s easy to cheat a drug test” Don’t know a whole lot about what they’re talking about

While it’s true that it’s nearly impossible to cheat a drug test, you have to consider the possibility of corruption like what Russia was accused of doing with Olympic athletes - having samples switched. High level corruption is a real thing. Also the IPF no longer automatically tests world champions and people who set records, which is very bizarre. They are now only doing random testing. If a guy took PEDs and came in 7th place does it matter? Not really. The plan appears to be to reduce the number of positive tests since there have been plenty and IWF (Weightlifting) was threatened to get thrown out of the Olympics due to the high number of positive tests. If the IPF wants to get into the Olympics they have to make the sport appear to be as clean as possible.

It makes me wonder, when you look at the world records in the drug tested divisions of WPC and IPL (where untested is at least equally prestigious) the numbers are well behind the IPF’s records. IPF records are often not far off from untested records, so either drugs don’t work (HA!) or more people are cheating than you would think. I don’t care who uses what, I just don’t think that you should compete against clean lifters if you take PEDs when you have the option to compete untested. Unlike sumo deadlifts and arched bench presses, that really is cheating.

1 Like

This cracked me up so much, and I totally agree. I think that the IPF should do what they can to get into the olympics, I know that you don’t like the IPF, but I think it would be a big step for powerlifting as a whole. I do, however, think that stopping testing people after they break world records or win is the wrong way to do it. There is talk about weightlifting being kicked out of the olympics because of so many failed drug tests of their Olympic athletes. Even if the IPF made it to the olympics because of everyone passing drug tests, powerlifters could start failing tests once they all get tested right after competing at the olympics.

As far as the Russia thing, I belive that it’s possible, but if it really is happening, we’d likely see more Russians winning IPF worlds, and being more jacked. The point about drugs not helping that much is very valid, but in most cases guys on gear can be in a higher weight class for their height while remaining lean, allowing them to have more muscle. Just look at Kevin Oak, Larry Wheels, Stan Efferding, or Ben Pollack, just to make a few. Super jacked guys breaking untested records. I think Russel Orhii is likley one of the most jacked guys in the IPF and he’s only 83kg, and he’s from America. He is fairly short for an 83kg (5”6), but he’s actually an inch taller than the (somehow less jacked) champion. Also very few IPF 105kg/231lbs competitiors are as lean as untested top 220 or 242 competitors like Dan Green for example. I don’t really know where I’m going with this, but I really think that everyone who competes tested really needs to get off gear. It’s bad for the sport, you can’t get away with a lot of drugs, there is less money on the line (compare IPF worlds to the US Open), and it’s bad for the sport. There’s obviously no way to measure this, but taking gear when your drug tested probably adds less to your total than doing a 5lbs water cut to make weight

OK IPF is NOT clean, by a long shot.

The fact that they dropped WR testing proves that…by a long shot. Pretty laughable solution though. It really does all come down to appearance. I mean people believe the NFL is clean yet their DBs have FFMIs of 30.

Not for nothing but Insulin and HGH are both nearly impossible to get popped for. In the UFC TRT is ok, not sure if IPF has that agreement.

Beating an actual drug test is probably not that hard tbh. There is a reason why retroactively done tests show positive results for things like Masteron which has been around since the 1950s.

Whether it is masking agents or bribes or new designer drugs clearly people are beating the tests.

I have also been looking through a lot of IPF comp attempts and starting to compare them to non tested comps.

What stands out to me is generally the higher % of the openers in relation to the last completed lifts in IPF vs non tested. It is really early in this evaluation but it is looking to be 90-93% for non tested and 92-95% for IPF.

Is it the 2 hour weigh in? Or the traveling? Or the stricter judging? Probably not. 24 hour weigh ins really bring out the shenanigans and every body travels for these large meets. As for the judging they all know the judges are going to be strict so their entire training cycle should account for this and the only reason they wouldn’t be able to handle it on that day is strength drops.

What I think is more likely to be happening is that people are coming off and there strength drops are not being accounted for in their openers.

The cheaters are always ahead of the testers.

EDIT: IPF has a TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption) list. No idea what exactly is on this but I would be shocked if TRT wasnt covered…because I am not sure what else would need qualify as banned and therapeutic.

If test is on this list I believe that Test levels in relation to other levels must maintain a certain ratio. This means that things like Suspensions could make things ridiculous for 23 hours a day but when they come to test you it would not take that long of stalling for your levels to come back to normal.

1 Like

I dont know the science behind this but when I was natty I could not bench because it would tear up my shoulders so bad. If I benched more than once a week I would get weaker by about 5% each workout. About 3 months of being enhanced and I could bench with out issue. So anecdotally this makes some sense.

The other thing i notice in Enhanced vs Natty (true natty) is that their Deadlifts always way outperform Squats and the 1st thing to come up in when somebody starts enhancement is there Squat in relation to the Deadlift.

Cutting water doesn’t make you stronger, it just eliminates the issue of training in a caloric deficit. How much drugs you can take and pass a drug test will depend on what you are doing to pass the test, if they are switching samples then you can do just about anything.

The IPF would be alright if they would stop being assholes. That is their major problem. They do some thing right for sure but I just don’t like the vibes. I prefer to take my business elsewhere.

The funny thing is that some people still get caught for HGH like John Broz’ lifter Pat Mendez (this is WL I’m talking about). From what I understand you can only test positive for a few hours after injecting it. He must have been taking it on the way to the drug test.

TRT is not allowed in the IPF, it is banned in all sports that follow WADA rules. I’m not 100% sure if other PL feds allow an exemption for TRT but test is certainly on all banned lists.

It’s hard if they take blood or make you piss in front of someone, you could still pass but it’s a gamble. I can tell you how to pass a piss test if they let you go to the bathroom alone - dip the cup in the toilet and fill it about 1/4-1/2 of the way and add just enough piss to make it look like piss. They test by the concentration of banned substances, if it’s low enough you won’t test positive. I know several people who had to take drug tests for non-sport purposes and had been smoking weed, they all passed using this method. The only time I ever got tested was at a CPF/WPC meet and there was a guy standing right beside me when I was pissing, kind of weird. Of course I’m clean so passing a test is no concern to me but the point is that you can’t easily beat that sort of test.

I came to this conclusion a while ago. I’m not going to call names but you can see training videos of some IPF guys where they lift like 100lbs more than they manage at the meet, I can understand that cutting water with a 2h weigh in and jet lag and all that can affect you but not to that extent.

1 Like

Most drug testing sites add colored dye to the toilet.

In Canada in the CPU at least, someone watches you take your piss, I assume this is the same in international competition

If so then that would certainly present an obstacle to cheating. As far as I know all sports that test people have someone watch you piss, anything affiliated with WADA as well as WPC certainly does. That pretty much eliminates any possibility of tampering with your own sample unless there are some crooked officials.

See above response. I’m just talking about drug testing in general.