T Nation

IPF Deadlifter vs. Viking Deadlifter

Right so i’ve been looknig into gear and that for a bit now and have more or less decided on a squat suit and bench shirt, i’m new to it all(I mean the gear and not powerlifting) so picking up bits along the way from what i read on the EFS Q&A, has anyone tried either of these suits or found either good? (Convo)

[quote]Vz wrote:
Right so i’ve been looknig into gear and that for a bit now and have more or less decided on a squat suit and bench shirt, i’m new to it all(I mean the gear and not powerlifting) so picking up bits along the way from what i read on the EFS Q&A, has anyone tried either of these suits or found either good? (Convo)
[/quote]

Head to the forum at gometal.com and ask Ano or Jani their opinions since they are the original sources. Tell them some things about your pulling style, experience, etc. and they should be able to steer you in the right direction. Word of warning: if you do end up getting the Viking, get ready for some torn up traps and thighs.

Vz,

That’s a great question but unfortunately one that’s incredibly subjective as it relates to individual lifters. I have two guys on my team that use both of those suits and they set PR’s in them on a reqular basis. These guys are two different body types and one uses sumo and the other conventional. It’s almost impossible to come up with equivilancies between lifters and gear.

Here’s the deal: tighter is not always better in deadlift suits. Do you have other lifters you train with that have equipment that would fit that you could try? If not, pick one of the Metal suits and try it. You can always send it back for a different size. Another thing to consider is to just use your squat suit to deadlift in. If it doesn’t alter technique and the way you approach the bar, then use it.

I use a Titan single ply Centurion Super NGX+ to deadlift in. Most people recommend only to squat in this suit, yet I PR’d my deadlift with this suit.

Pick one and start the trial and error process from there. Good luck with training.

David

[quote]drdgmuro wrote:
Vz,

That’s a great question but unfortunately one that’s incredibly subjective as it relates to individual lifters. I have two guys on my team that use both of those suits and they set PR’s in them on a reqular basis. These guys are two different body types and one uses sumo and the other conventional. It’s almost impossible to come up with equivilancies between lifters and gear.

Here’s the deal: tighter is not always better in deadlift suits. Do you have other lifters you train with that have equipment that would fit that you could try? If not, pick one of the Metal suits and try it. You can always send it back for a different size. Another thing to consider is to just use your squat suit to deadlift in. If it doesn’t alter technique and the way you approach the bar, then use it.

I use a Titan single ply Centurion Super NGX+ to deadlift in. Most people recommend only to squat in this suit, yet I PR’d my deadlift with this suit.

Pick one and start the trial and error process from there. Good luck with training.

David[/quote]

Cheers for that, well i train alone,so that crosses out trying on suits, but was on to jani on gometal and got some more info on them, he was saying the ipf was good for him as he has short arms and a hard time reaching the bar, so i might give the viking a shot as i think my arms are long.

Honeslty bro… I would tell you to start with the lower versions of the gear first and work your way up to Metal. Especially if you are training by yourself than it will be more difficult to figure out whats going on with your form. I started with the Z-suit… and while that thing is the devil and it hurts like a son of a bitch, it taught me how to deadlift in anything because nothing was as painful as that old suit.

Remember man: It’s not where you start, it’s where you finish!

Brendan

[quote]Chefbc14 wrote:
I started with the Z-suit… and while that thing is the devil and it hurts like a son of a bitch, it taught me how to deadlift in anything because nothing was as painful as that old suit.

Brendan[/quote]

The leg lock design of the z-suit was pure torture. I still have the scars on my quads from those old suits. Painful but effective…