IPF Champion Of Champions Meet $300k + Prize

All they need to do is change their testing approach to questionnaire only. They could still claim tested status with an almost ironclad guarantee of no positive tests.

4 Likes

Anybody see this yet? These 3 guys in a drug tested national meet where they expect you to squat several inches below parallel are the top 3 squatters under 165lbs in the world. 74kg is only 163 lbs, and the other guys have 24 hour weigh ins so they can cut huge amounts of weight and gain it all back in time to lift, not to mention unlimited drug use. Either steroids don’t work, or drug tested powerlifting is a joke.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3s6dWKhtWV/

What do you guys think? And like we were saying, with big cash payouts there is now a major incentive to cheat. A lot of people don’t even compete and still train hard multiple days a week, you think they wouldn’t do that and cheat drug tests if they can earn a living off it?

I did my first meet in 2015, I was in the 105kg class and back then the IPF squat record in my class was about 650lbs. These guys are only a few pounds away, and they weigh 31kg less - that’s more than 68lbs.

Of course drug tested powerlifting is a joke. But so are all sports that try to implement a ‘natty side’ to the sport. People so bad want to hold onto the reality that all it takes is 8 hours of sleep, chicken breasts and telling yourself your dedicated to do extremely well.

Although what I have noticed between bodybuilding and powerlifting is that powerlifters don’t tend to be as open about steroid use as bodybuilders are - even those competing in so called natty organisations.

To be fair, if you compare untested and tested federations, especially in the UK, the difference in lifts is actually not that big. Which should tell you straight away that something is up with the testing in natty federations. That, or drugs really don’t work.

I have been to several IPF affiliated meets in the UK and I can tell you, no one ever got drug tested. I spoke to the organisers as well. Even those couple that blew every other competitor away and looked like thor.

This is why I went untested. Couldent be fucked with the so called ‘Ok bros, we drug test, its all good’ then see some 300lb, 5% fat dude come in and tear everyone a new asshole and get away scott free.

People love to play the genetics card, but honestly, I have never read a study with the title: the underlying genetic factors which allow 75kg midgets to squat 6/7/8 plates to far below parallel’. Until that study comes out, people need to stop saying: ‘its all genetics bro, no drugs needed’.

You write silly things.

1 Like

Seems to me like it should be the other way around, if you have the option to compete untested then there is less reason to cheat (until this meet with big cash prizes) and in other sports there is no untested option and people are using drugs so in many cases the only way to level the playing field is to use drugs yourself. Look at weightlifting, there are lifters who didn’t even make the podium and now have gold medals because everyone ahead of them tested positive.

Yeah, I have heard some PED confessions from so-called natural bodybuilders. The thing is that natural bodybuilding isn’t really a serious thing, much less than drug-tested powerlifting, so those guys don’t really have anything to lose by talking about it. There are some dumb PLers though, apparently Mohamed Bouafia (former IPF 120kg squat WR holder) was posting on Facebook about his cycle.

From what I hear, genetics are going to be a factor either way because people don’t all have the same response to steroids, including side effects. So someone who can naturally get very strong and then responds well to the drugs has a hell of a lot more potential than someone lacking in either category.

Sometimes I think about this stuff and ask myself why the hell I’m doing this, but then I remember I would still be lifting weights anyway. Competing is only a small part, and I (usually) enjoy it, and even if I’m mediocre by elite powerlifting standards at least I’m stronger than just about everybody who isn’t a strength athlete of some sort.

1 Like

“Anybody see this yet? These 3 guys in a drug tested national meet where they expect you to squat several inches below parallel are the top 3 squatters under 165lbs in the world. 74kg is only 163 lbs, and the other guys have 24 hour weigh ins so they can cut huge amounts of weight and gain it all back in time to lift, not to mention unlimited drug use. Either steroids don’t work, or drug tested powerlifting is a joke.”

Besides the drug use in natty federations, is that possible that the bigger weight cutting with 24h weigh ins actually hurt one´s strength, and balance the fact those lifters compete with heavier weighs ?

Besides sure genetics play a part, possibly along a better training, see how Gasparyan and Cohen bow the totals of 10kg heavier competitors, Belkin finished well above the foirst in the weight category above him if I recall properly.

I can’t say with any confidence that anyone at this level in any fed is lifetime drug free.

Maybe there’s more freaks concentrated on tested lifting because there’s just a bigger lifter pool in tested lifting and it’s growing faster than the number of untested lifters. More guys more outliers as the sport grows. I remember an interview where Daniela Melo said first time she squatted was three cookies.

“, Belkin finished well above the f"irst in the weight category above him if I recall properly.”

I meant in the last Kern US open
Besides, sure, several IPF competitors have mind boggling squats

Cutting weight can hurt your strength for sure, and fuck you up worse too. Michael Seay had to pull a token deadlift after his ATWR squat because his whole body started cramping up. If you think that he would have somehow been worse off with 24 hours to rehydrate and eat then you really don’t understand this at all.

A properly done water cut with a 24hr weigh in shouldn’t affect strength much, unless it’s like 20+lbs. And either way, if they would be stronger and perform better in a meet by staying smaller and not cutting weight then nobody would be doing it.

At IPF/affiliated meets the weigh in starts 2 hours before the first flight of that session, depending on how many lifters and how fast weigh ins go you might not even have an hour before you have to start warming up. Imagine chugging Gatorade and Pedialyte and force feeding yourself as you get ready to squat. That is where any significant weight cut will fuck you up.

There is no rule in the IPF or WADA that says they have to be, they are supposed to be free of banned substances for something like 3 or 5 year but who can even prove that? Right now if your goal is to make it in the IPF you could take all kinds of shit for years as long as you can pass the test when the time comes and nobody can say shit. There are IPF WR holders who tested positive in the past (Sergey Fedosienko for example), are they clean now?

For sure there are more abnormally strong people getting into PL but I never heard that steroids were out of style either.

And don’t take these comments as me saying that these guys are bullshit and their lifts aren’t impressive (like you see in online comments all the time). These guys are the best in the sport, drugs or no drugs. The problem is the federation. As they say, don’t hate the player, hate the game.

I could go on and on about this but it gets boring fast, but the way it looks to me the IPF and their affiliates have a vested interest in lifters not testing positive. Too many positive tests and they won’t ever make it into the Olympics, and last year there was talk that USAPL could get thrown out of the IPF if they can’t reduce the number of positive tests. Apparently there were a lot of people doing local meets who were on all sorts of shit.

Now to top that off, the IPF also came up with a rule that at international meets they no longer automatically test gold medallists and those who set world records. They want testing to be totally random, but that means that the people most likely to be using probably won’t be tested. Does it really matter if a guy took PEDs and came in 12th? If they tested more people out of competition and kept samples to be re-tested it would probably end up looking like this:

" The fifth-place finisher, Saeid Mohammadpour of Iran, was upgraded to gold. The eighth-place finisher, Kim Min-jae of South Korea, to silver. The ninth-place finisher, Tomasz Zielinski of Poland, to bronze."

Get all the online haters to donate five bucks towards testing whichever athlete they think is a fake natty. The power of hate is strong. Then random drug test dem lifters.

Your just making a funny aren’t you?

Maybe lol. If I’m jealous or self righteous enough I’d put in five bucks to mess with some lifter I reckon is fake natty scum. If the amount of haters on social media are anything to go buy would be able to fund a few surprise drug tests for each top lifter.

I can set it up. I take 1% of the monies though

2 Likes

You can’t easily just look at someone and their lifts and say that they must be on drugs, that’s a waste of time. It is totally possible that some of the top IPF lifters are natural, but when you have 3 guys in one weight class in one national meet who are way ahead of everyone their size who takes PEDs then something is not right. What is the statistical probability of that? 1 in 10 billion maybe?

Just to play devil’s advocate, it’s possible that this is happening in a low weight class like 74kg because most people who take steroids put on too much muscle to keep their bodyweight so low. If that is the case, fewer untested lifters compete in 75kg relative to the number of lifters in 74kg tested. I wonder if there’s a statistic for this somewhere. ThAt being said, Taylor Atwood is totalling almost 100lbs higher than the best untested lifter.

You have a point, and also most guys who get into lifting in the first place want to get bigger, 74kg is pretty small for the average non-overweight male adult. But it can be done, there are little skinny untested lifters and Sergey Fedosienko. I’m no drug expert but I can tell you that they would take different stuff for bulking vs. strength alone, and if they are most competitive at a lower body weight and willing to go through all this shit including cheating tests and water cuts then I’m sure they would be willing to keep BW low.

But again, don’t take this as me sayin that those three guys are on steroids without a doubt, I just can’t see how all three of them could possibly be clean and so far above everyone else. If those guys are that strong naturally and they got on the juice and bulked to 220 they would be squatting 1000 raw.

2 Likes

I’d LOVE to see Stefi Cohen at the meet

Ppl say she’s on gear, but what I don’t understand is how she keeps her weight down while making those strength gains

1 Like

People say the earth is flat too. There is no way in hell she is natural, the fact that she is one of the top untested lifters should make it blatantly obvious.

1 Like

ohh, I thought she lifted in the USAPL… nevermind then…

She came 2nd place at the US Open this year