IPF and Drugs?!

im hearing allot of rumors about insulin use in the ipf ,do u guys have any ideas on this matter.and is insulin testing not yet posible?

http://list.wada-ama.org/list/s4-hormone-and-metabolic-modulators/#insulins

and, somewhat related,

http://list.wada-ama.org/list/s2-peptide-hormones-growth-factors-and-related-substances/#insulin-like%20growth%20factor-1%20(IGF-1)

I would say the good ol’ steroid use is pretty prevalent in the IPF.

i dont think there useing just any good old steroids they get tested every 2months

You have to be out of your fucking mind to use insulin as a performance enhancer. It is literally the most powerful hormone in your body and can seriosuly mess shit up if you don’t have diabetes/are under constant medical supervision. I find it hard to believe that this is an actual problem…

GH on the other hand only has a half life of 6 ro 12 hours making it almost impossible to detect. In the history of drug testing in sports, there has only been one positive HgH test. I think that is a bigger problem because if there were a wide array of lifters using insulin, the majority of them would be dying from pancreas, thyroid, GI issues.

To think that steroid/hgh/insulin etc doesn’t happen in the usapl/ipf is just naive. There was a guy here in missouri that went all the way to nationals before he tested positive for eq.

While I’d say a good number of people are “drug free” there will always be people in the ipf that use and stop before meets. I do know that some stronger guys get the occasional random spot check.

[quote]lilvikin wrote:
they get tested every 2months [/quote]

I call bullshit. They don’t have the money to do that. I’m pretty sure they don’t even do that in professional road cycling.

OMT (out of meet testing) is done on high-level USAPL/IPF competitors. And they don’t know when it’s coming. But there are certainly some who slip through the cracks. I don’t believe using banned substances is prevalent in the IPF like other feds, though. There’s a list on the USAPL website of athletes who have tested positive and their subsequent consequences.

Insulin IS being used by strength and power athletes. First because it improves recovery, so the athletes can train more often and do harder workouts. Second because it is anti-catabolic and can be anabolic. Third because it increases intra-muscular water retention which can contribute to strength. Fourth because it can help them reload after depleting for a weigh-in to make their class.

A lot of lifters might use insulin once they go off steroids to be able to prevent muscle and strength loss.

Not saying that insulin use is smart (it isn’t) but it is being used. And if it is being used it’s because it helps in some regard.

Now, regarding testing. Just because a substance is on the banned list doesn’t mean that they are actually able to test for it. hGH was on the banned list years before they actually developed a reliable test for it.

I do not know if they can test for insulin. But if an athlete uses a fast-acting insulin (humalog for example) within a couple of days all possible markers would likely be down making it undetectable.

[quote]lilvikin wrote:
i dont think there useing just any good old steroids they get tested every 2months [/quote]

LOL

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Insulin IS being used by strength and power athletes. First because it improves recovery, so the athletes can train more often and do harder workouts. Second because it is anti-catabolic and can be anabolic. Third because it increases intra-muscular water retention which can contribute to strength. Fourth because it can help them reload after depleting for a weigh-in to make their class.

A lot of lifters might use insulin once they go off steroids to be able to prevent muscle and strength loss.

Not saying that insulin use is smart (it isn’t) but it is being used. And if it is being used it’s because it helps in some regard.

Now, regarding testing. Just because a substance is on the banned list doesn’t mean that they are actually able to test for it. hGH was on the banned list years before they actually developed a reliable test for it.

I do not know if they can test for insulin. But if an athlete uses a fast-acting insulin (humalog for example) within a couple of days all possible markers would likely be down making it undetectable.[/quote]

ye i am training at a gym with some guys who are at the top 5 in the ipf and these guys are getting tested randomly every 2 months ;another thing i noticed is these guys are all getting fat and fucking strong, thats why i suspected insulin

How difficult it is to dope depends on where you live. Check this official doc from 2011:

http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Anti-Doping/national-doping-reports-2011.pdf

Notice the amazing amount of testing they did in the USA - 15 total tests and only 1 OCT. haha

lol…
“All testing does is make people who know nothing about athletics think that they are watching a clean event.” Dr. CE Yesalis of Penn State University.

I compete in the IPF (lifetime drug free mind you) and through various contacts I am aware of athletes who compete at a high level in international competitions and regularily use banned substances. It is very unfortunate but testing and all aspects surrounding it is poor at best. Ergo, I have no doubt that insulin and a plethora of other banned substances are used by athletes in the IPF.

Disclaimer: Not trying to be controversial or attempt to accuse anyone, but rather this is my opinion. In no way is it intended to reflect poorly upon the IPF, any of its affiliates, or lifters.

I’ll be competing in the spanish affiliate of the IPF and I assume that testing will never catch every infractor or every substance but the fact is that it catches some of them. Once you get caught you’re banned for 2 years and then are subject to out of competition tests.
I’d rather lift in a tested fed, be clean myself and hope for the sportmanship of my fellow lifters, that’s about all i can do. There’s plenty of options for people to compete in that allows all kind of gear, be it chemical or weareable.

I compete in the Ontario IPF affiliate. I don’t know if my fellow competitors are clean or not (I’ve never used anything), but it’s kind of irrelevant. I’m at a meet to smash MY PRs. I can’t control what others do. I hope that most of the lifters who choose to compete in the IPF are drug-free, as there are feds that don’t test, but I can’t be sure. I’m not a threat to any of the top lifters at this point, so it doesn’t matter…yet.

[quote]Achilles_Wrath wrote:
I compete in the Ontario IPF affiliate. I don’t know if my fellow competitors are clean or not (I’ve never used anything), but it’s kind of irrelevant. I’m at a meet to smash MY PRs. I can’t control what others do. I hope that most of the lifters who choose to compete in the IPF are drug-free, as there are feds that don’t test, but I can’t be sure. I’m not a threat to any of the top lifters at this point, so it doesn’t matter…yet.[/quote]

thats the way I look at it too . a buddy of mine goes on and on about drugs …gets tiring hearing it constantly . I couldnt care less about who does what . I lift to better myself ; the rare occasion I compete it’s for my benefit only…to test my own balls so to speak .dont care about records…or divisions…or which feds test the most…just dont give a fuck .

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
thats the way I look at it too . a buddy of mine goes on and on about drugs …gets tiring hearing it constantly . I couldnt care less about who does what . I lift to better myself ; the rare occasion I compete it’s for my benefit only…to test my own balls so to speak .dont care about records…or divisions…or which feds test the most…just dont give a fuck .[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve got a buddy who also goes on about different federations, drugs, single-ply, multi-ply, raw etc…Who gives a shit? To me, it smacks of insecurity. Last meet I did, there was a massive dude there who benched well over 500lbs (can’t remember the exact number) raw. My buddy asked “you think he juices” and my response was “who cares? That was awesome!”. As a relative noob to powerlifting, I want to get better and I want to see others succeed as well. I don’t have time for bullshit politics of who squatted what, wearing what gear, in what fed, blah blah blah…