IPad Announced, Nothing New

So another piece of technology from Apple that shackles the end user and buttfucks him at every turn.

“You want that new app that augments basic function of your device? 9.99”

“You wanna make a ringtone out of a song you already legally purchased? 0.99”

I’m not a fan of anything Apple’s put out except for the basic iPods.

Fuck you, Steve.

Why would I want an iPad? Why the fuck would I even want a Netbook? I can understand someone needing a minimalist system (a netbook) and there’s no way this iPad is going to fill that void.

If I want portable computing, I invested in a REAL Tablet 2.5 years ago. As far as taking notes in engineering goes, it’s fucking amazing. I can type for classes that are mostly theory, and I can draw diagrams for classes that are more involved.

the ipad will be a complete failure within 3-4 months. It fills no void, it’s just a big itouch, when it’s gone Jobs will put put a netbook.

It’s a product that is designed to appeal to a market segment that doesn’t give a shit about specs, performance, features or ‘how it compares to’. I know, that sounds insane to many of you, but, these people do exist, in fact, they are a healthy majority. Apple will likely sell a ton of them.

Here’s another way to look at it. We’ve come so far with high tech gadgets, and they have saturated our lives so heavily that it’s not even about ‘function’ anymore. People are starting to own multiple computers and multiple game systems, as well as phones that do substantially more than any ‘phone’ needs to be able to do. Many of these devices all do the same crap, many of them do them about as well as anything else. Computers have become powerful enough that only very small niches(mostly production related) are even limited anymore. I mean, shit, I have 9 devices in my house that can tell me the weather in Morocco, right now. We’re reaching the point where, things like the iPad, essentially a flashy, high tech, semi-functional TOY, can actually exist, because all of our tech ‘needs’ are covered 2 or 3 times over.

To all those saying “just get a netbook, it’s quantifiably better in every way”… no, not really. This device is not trying to appeal to what is quantifiably better. It is trying to appeal to what is qualitatively better, which, as much as it might fry your brain to consider, doesn’t actually matter if the ‘specs’ are inferior. If the user experience and the enjoyment of the device is superior to that of a netbook, iPod touch, Droid, or comparable device. Then it is a superior product… for the market it is aiming at. (note, I have no idea if it actually is, but neither do you…)

The way I see it. Tablet PCs are a terrible idea to begin with. It is a dumb form factor for serious computing, or even ‘casual’ computing. It’s a form factor that isn’t conducive towards actual content creation, with an actual laptop being ‘superior’ in almost every conceivable way. However, when it comes to pure media consumption, tablets begin to make more sense. In this respect, if you are going to go that route, you want a device that is smaller than your laptop but bigger than your phone. You also don’t want a device that is going to be complicated by the problems of trying to do actual computing in a tablet form…etc.

I have no interest in owning one of these, I suspect fewer than 10 people on this whole forum actually do. Because, well, it wasn’t built for us, but that’s okay.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
the ipad will be a complete failure within 3-4 months. It fills no void, it’s just a big itouch, when it’s gone Jobs will put put a netbook.[/quote]

I’m officially calling it the iPodasaurus Rex.

Not quite “useless” but not really great.

I played with it a bit yesterday. It’s a cool device to be sure, but it’s an ‘in-between’ device.

If they had put in a full Mac OS, and called it a netbook (or whatever clever name they’d come up with) I’d be all over it.

As it is, it’s a great email device and has some decent features in terms of watching movies and the like, but I can do all that on my iPhone.

I’m sure in about 6 months a new version will come out with a full mac OS. And then you’ll have the ability to install full programs instead of just apps.

In which case, if you’re looking for an inexpensive laptop, it’d be okay.

Basically, they need to drop the price about 20% and make some upgrades.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
What the hell was Steve Jobs thinking when he decided on this ridiculous name?

Hey, I just got my period, anyone got an iPad??? How bout some iPlugs??

Yeah, he’s a real genius.[/quote]

The 2nd Gen versions will come with wings

[quote]John Romaniello wrote:
Not quite “useless” but not really great.

I played with it a bit yesterday. It’s a cool device to be sure, but it’s an ‘in-between’ device.

If they had put in a full Mac OS, and called it a netbook (or whatever clever name they’d come up with) I’d be all over it.

As it is, it’s a great email device and has some decent features in terms of watching movies and the like, but I can do all that on my iPhone.

I’m sure in about 6 months a new version will come out with a full mac OS. And then you’ll have the ability to install full programs instead of just apps.

In which case, if you’re looking for an inexpensive laptop, it’d be okay.

Basically, they need to drop the price about 20% and make some upgrades.

[/quote]

The problem is that they would need to put a lot more memory into it. So they would either need to put a ton of RAM memory into it or a hard drive of some kind, probably a solid-state drive, which are still not very big, but would still make it bigger. So then the price goes up well above the price of any laptop or tablet-PC. Apple’s pricing for things has little to do with what’s in them and more to do with the “cool” factor of them. So them dropping the pricing will not happen unless they start to see them as a total fail and drop the price to try and get them sold. But since there is nothing else like this on the market right now, they will sell because, as someone essentially mentioned before, people are buying electronics not because they are useful but because they are new and cool, whether they are useful or not.

I’m undecided on this, and I’m a self-professed apple fanboi. 95% of my textbooks are McGraw Hill, so if there was an option to ‘upload’ your existing physical copies onto the iPad that’d be a huge factor for me. Still no cam/mic sucks, as does the whole multi-tasking situation, but given the amount I read [and the fact it’s only a matter of time before Marvel comes out with a spiffy comic book reader for it] makes it pretty appealing.

Still there are too many downsides to ignore.

Re: the pricing; WSJ reported that Apple has nigh on a 100% markup on the 16gb WiFi iPad, and well over that %age for the 3G versions [a 3G module supposedly costs under $10 to buy and fit, and a 3G enabled yoke is 130$ extra]. They could afford to knock a third off the price and still make a very decent profit from the base model alone.

[quote]roweski wrote:
I’m undecided on this, and I’m a self-professed apple fanboi. 95% of my textbooks are McGraw Hill, so if there was an option to ‘upload’ your existing physical copies onto the iPad that’d be a huge factor for me. Still no cam/mic sucks, as does the whole multi-tasking situation, but given the amount I read [and the fact it’s only a matter of time before Marvel comes out with a spiffy comic book reader for it] makes it pretty appealing.

Still there are too many downsides to ignore.

Re: the pricing; WSJ reported that Apple has nigh on a 100% markup on the 16gb WiFi iPad, and well over that %age for the 3G versions [a 3G module supposedly costs under $10 to buy and fit, and a 3G enabled yoke is 130$ extra]. They could afford to knock a third off the price and still make a very decent profit from the base model alone. [/quote]

Well, it wouldn’t be Apple if they did make it cheap(er)! :slight_smile:

the I-RACK from Mad TV a few years back…very funny

alright, since [quote]dday[/quote]'s video isnt working.
“This video has been removed due to terms of use violation” Apple strikes again.

So God Damn funny I had to use the lords name in vain!

On a different note. Does the processor speed on an iPAD/apple comp have any difference than for PC/windows?
For example: 2GB RAM for windows vista really isnt that much, and is very slow.

[quote]andrew_live wrote:
On a different note. Does the processor speed on an iPAD/apple comp have any difference than for PC/windows?
For example: 2GB RAM for windows vista really isnt that much, and is very slow. [/quote]

The operating system matters, yes. Vista wasn’t designed for machines that were low end at the time of its release, but very, very stupid marketing had that happening a lot. Vista actually could run very well on low end hardware if tweaked properly, but that’s another thread.

My EEE 901, for example, runs Windows 7 very well; I haven’t had a chance to play with an iPad, but my guess is they built the hardware to run the software reasonably well, as is Apple’s MO. As was mentioned, though, the resolution isn’t so hot for a device of this size, and it’s really underpowered for the price point.

[quote]andrew_live wrote:
alright, since [quote]dday[/quote]'s video isnt working.
“This video has been removed due to terms of use violation” Apple strikes again.

So God Damn funny I had to use the lords name in vain![/quote]

BASTARDS!!!

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
it’s really underpowered for the price point. [/quote]

It might seem it, but it’s got Apple’s own processor, that was designed to do specifically what it needs to in this device.
Much like the iPhone was more than just another smartphone because of the apps, I think we’re going to see applications come out for the iPad that make it something special [rather than just the glorified eBook reader it seems at the moment].

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Windows-7-iPad-Citrix-Receiver,news-32694.html

Now we’re getting somewhere.

It’s also rumoured the iPad costs Apple about $270 to manufacture.

Sweet. Must also be able to run OSX?

Edit: Looks like this is not an emulation of 7, just a real-time interactive video of a computer running windows - like GoToMyPC. E.g. your computer at home/work needs to be switched on and have the program used to run it, installed and open.

$270?! MARK-UP!!!