T Nation

Iodoral Dosing/Protocol

What’s the best way to dose Iodoral? I picked some 12.5mg tablets up from amazon a week or so ago, and have been taking 2 tablets a day (one in the AM and one in the PM). I figure (based on some reading and the literature included with it) that there is an initial “loading” phase, then you can go to maintenance mode.

Is this current protocol I’m doing (25mg/day) enough to effectively load, or do I need to increase for a while? I haven’t noticed any effects up to this point, except possibly some mild bowel irritation - but that could certainly be unrelated. If I was indeed low, what sort of benefits should I expect?

All of this Info and what ksman suggests is in the thyroid basics sticky… I believe 50 mg per day and if u feel like shit drop the dose until bromine detox is finished then move back to a higher dose. Selenium and vit c and magnesium may also play a role. Maybe try doing a search or two your self and try to figure out what sounds best to you

Also be careful with the shit.

The goal per the thyroid sticky is to acheive a level of about 750mg. At 50mg a day that is 15 days. You COULD remain at 25mg but you would take a full 30 days to reach that amount. I am of the mindset to taper up to 50mg. Which I believe I will start tonight. So far (up to 25mg/day) the only complaint I have had has been a massive headache in the morning- I take my potassium iodide at night.

I know iw84aces has commented about a different reaction to the stuff.

My friend who ended up in the hospital and still doesn’t know whats going on also had comlpaints of severe head ache among other things. if you have sides why taper up coolnate? Also some people have energy boosts and the night time does is prolly not the best idea as it may affact your sleep.

I’ll check the sticky, thanks. Why do you say be careful?

He and a friend both had bad reactions to an iodine supplement. He points out that the product is from a well known company and distribution. But things can still go wrong. I suspect the product. And if you have a lot of bromine in your system, IR displaces that is it gets excreted, but while that is happening, one can feel unwell and have a bad odor.

Thanks for the input, KS. I re-read the sticky (I had read it before). I think I’ll stick with the 25mg/day and just give that a month rather than jumping up to 50mg/day. I haven’t had any sort of negative effects outside of the bowel “distress” as mentioned, and don’t want to push things. I have some probiotics that I’ll start after the loading phase.

[quote]iw84aces wrote:
My friend who ended up in the hospital and still doesn’t know whats going on also had comlpaints of severe head ache among other things. if you have sides why taper up coolnate? Also some people have energy boosts and the night time does is prolly not the best idea as it may affact your sleep.[/quote]

Headaches were only for a few days and then I didn’t have the problem so it theoretically could have been another source. Besides, I’m willing to put up with bromine die-off if it helps me get to where I need to be. I upped it last night and so far no issues.

I have been able to fall asleep no problem so far but it is something I will monitor

[quote]iw84aces wrote:
My friend who ended up in the hospital and still doesn’t know whats going on also had comlpaints of severe head ache among other things.[/quote]WHat was is iodine loading protocol? Did he just keep downing 50mg iodoral’s day after day even with sides?

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
I am of the mindset to taper up to 50mg. Which I believe I will start tonight. So far (up to 25mg/day) the only complaint I have had has been a massive headache in the morning- I take my potassium iodide at night.[/quote]I think tapering is a good idea too. What did you start at, and how much are you increasing? Why did you choose potassium iodide? (Ihave read it is poorly absorbed.)

[quote]junk2222yard wrote:

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
I am of the mindset to taper up to 50mg. Which I believe I will start tonight. So far (up to 25mg/day) the only complaint I have had has been a massive headache in the morning- I take my potassium iodide at night.[/quote]
I think tapering is a good idea too. What did you start at, and how much are you increasing? Why did you choose potassium iodide? (Ihave read it is poorly absorbed.)
[/quote]

I started at 12.5mg, so a half tab for 2 or 3 days, then bumped up to 25mg for the same, and I am now at 50mg. 15 days at 50mg gets you to 750mg so I am monitoring temps and going to assume I’ll be around 750mg at about 17-18 days. At that point I’ll really review and see how I feel.

The Pure & Simple KI I am using has 25mg of iodine in it. Plus it’s on $5 for 30 25mg tabs which even at 2 pills a day is a good bit cheaper than iodoral. I hadn’t read anything about worse absorption rate

I’m on so much crap right now that I need to minimize monthly costs-
Test, hcg, AI, 7ketoDHEA, DHEA, L-Tyrosine, Vit D3, multi, Vit c and now KI.

And how do you feel?

Question- how long do stay on the Iodine? I thought I remember TC saying (but I could be wrong) that you do it for about 3 months. My thought it that once you are off won’t the effects that you gained from the iodine supplement protocol return to normal?? Thanks

Everything is still getting honed in but things are definitely coming together. Assumedly, if this doesn’t work I will have to start looking into adrenal issues but I’m hoping that isn’t the case. My temps are still pretty crappy but I’ve got over a week remaining at 50mg iodiine

[quote]T-bone12 wrote:
Question- how long do stay on the Iodine? I thought I remember TC saying (but I could be wrong) that you do it for about 3 months. My thought it that once you are off won’t the effects that you gained from the iodine supplement protocol return to normal?? Thanks[/quote]

Once/if you return to normal, you’d probably be okay just using “normal” amounts. For instance, just switching back to using iodized salt would probably suffice.

[quote]TC wrote:

[quote]T-bone12 wrote:
Question- how long do stay on the Iodine? I thought I remember TC saying (but I could be wrong) that you do it for about 3 months. My thought it that once you are off won’t the effects that you gained from the iodine supplement protocol return to normal?? Thanks[/quote]

Once/if you return to normal, you’d probably be okay just using “normal” amounts. For instance, just switching back to using iodized salt would probably suffice.[/quote]

Not saying this website is the end all-be all but they say iodine maintenance dose is 12ish mg. I’m not really sure how any of that is determined be it that website or TC’s normal amounts. Wouldn’t that allow for bromine and other things to creep up and cause issues again?

healthnatura.com/articles/Determining_the_end_of_the_Iodine_Loading_Dose.html

I think RDI is in the neighborhood of 150mcg - which is .15mg. Granted, that is probably low for what we’re trying to achieve to maintain proper levels and to prevent bromide “re-toxification”. I would think half a tab of iodoral once (twice?) a week would be sufficient, especially if you use iodized salt regularly. I’m figuring I’ll just add it in a day or two a week as part of my TRT protocol.

Update on my findings: I definitely have more energy - I’m not “out of gas” by the time I get home in the evening after my workouts. I actually started to drop a few pounds again, as I had stopped at what I felt was a new setpoint. However, I seem to have found those pounds over the weekend!

I am currently taking Lugol’s with all the co-supps each day (vit C, Magnesium, real salt, boron, B vits)

May I suggest you check out the Iodine forum on Curezone. There is a wealth of experience and information on the forum.

[quote]junk2222yard wrote:

[quote]iw84aces wrote:
My friend who ended up in the hospital and still doesn’t know whats going on also had comlpaints of severe head ache among other things.[/quote]WHat was is iodine loading protocol? Did he just keep downing 50mg iodoral’s day after day even with sides?

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
I am of the mindset to taper up to 50mg. Which I believe I will start tonight. So far (up to 25mg/day) the only complaint I have had has been a massive headache in the morning- I take my potassium iodide at night.[/quote]I think tapering is a good idea too. What did you start at, and how much are you increasing? Why did you choose potassium iodide? (Ihave read it is poorly absorbed.)

[/quote]
Ya he just kept downing iodine with sides!!! ??? Why the fk would someone do that??? He took half a pill and it kicked his ass… Good enough?

[quote]Ya he just kept downing iodine with sides!!! ??? Why the fk would someone do that??? He took half a pill and it kicked his ass… Good enough? [/quote]What caused him to go to the hospital? Is there a link on this site describing the situation? Did he just go hyperthryoid? (Panic, racing heart, etc.)

Does he suffer from hasimotos? In which case taking iodine is the proverbial “throwing gasoline on a fire”?